Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

18 minutes ago, Destino said:

How did we go from Buck and Phil to this in such a short time?  Whoever is responsible for this needs to be traded to the Lakers

You're too nice.  Knicks, trade em to the Knicks. Or Phoenix. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna assume this Kutcher guy is capable (still dont like it though), but to go with Gooden and Butler seems like they couldnt find anybody else.

But I don't care if it was Ted's call or NBC Sports Washington's call, but about the only thing associated with this franchise that hasnt been broken for the last few decades was the announce team.  And now they broke that too. 

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

You guys have heard Drew Gooden color comment on games. 

He's horrible.  

Easy solution: I'm either going to go to the game or mute them, put some music on instead. One of the bamma is goi g to tell "Dagger" and I'll be glad I missed.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

You guys have heard Drew Gooden color comment on games. 

He's horrible.  

Its not like he has any meaningful history with the team. He's not good at the job that they want him to do and he's irrelevant in terms of team history. He's gotta be in close with the head of nbc sports Washington, no chance he got this job on actual merit

• Like 1

If he were capable of building and maintaining a franchise that had a passionate fanbase, this move would force him to not sit court side anymore. Would be ****ed at and have things thrown at him during games.

But, here we are.

The blowback today has been nasty. Not that it'll change anything. Only difference I've heard on sportstalk is Zach Leonsis' being used a lot. 

If the Caps didn't come back a few times in the playoffs for the title last year, I can't imagine how much uglier this would be. 

We'll, have fun with two Arena teams and that e-sports dealie. You wanted the NBA franchise and that's what you handle the worst. 

Would seriously consider switching teams if Steve and Phil reunited somewhere else. 

****, been sour on this team since they became the Wizards. Can we PLEASE get the Bullets back or change the name? Wizards just suuuuuuucks; it has nothing to do with DC and there's already the Magic. I own absolutely nothing that says Wizards on it. Everything I have is Bullets. 

Can we do the vote thing again without Sea Dogs or Wizards as choices? 

• Like 1

This is the first time I've ever felt that we were a franchise that might never get right.  I've been in denial for a long time,  but we are the perpetual one step forward two steps back franchise.  That's a level of disrespect from Ted I was not expecting.

"It starts at the top."

As bad as Ernie was, we have to keep in mind that it was Ted that enabled him to be that way.   We've only solved half the problem.

Buck probably told Ted that Grunfeld was some ****, and got the silent treatment ever since

Really good article about some of the detailed adjustments to Rui's game we can look for as he develops

What did you think of his summer league performance? Is this in line with what you expected coming out of Gonzaga?

Sam: So, let’s start with the shot. Hachimura has always seemed a lot more comfortable to me shooting off the dribble as opposed to shooting directly off the catch because his shot doesn’t have a ton of arc. He tends to play very upright, and when he takes jumpers off the dribble, his favored move is to get to his step-back (particularly to the left). Taking that step back allows him to get some natural leg bend, and it helps him with the arc and the touch of his shot. I pulled some shots of Hachimura below from over the last year. Every jumper has a story, particularly while it’s still developing. I’ve grabbed some from early in the college season, mid-season, then the NCAA Tournament. Then, after, I added a bunch of the jumpers he’s taken in Vegas so far.

What you’re seeing in Las Vegas is a lot of the same problems you saw at Gonzaga. Ultimately, concerns about Hachimura’s jumper come down to two factors: the inconsistent hitch that he occasionally gets at the top, and his balance. Let’s start with the latter first, because I think it’s the biggest problem but also think it’s more fixable. I’m a firm believer that a jumper starts with shot preparation, balance, and footwork. With Hachimura, you there’s a real lack of consistency there, and it affects the rest of the process. In part, it’s that lack of bend mentioned above. Too often, he doesn’t engage his lower half enough to get power on his shot, which means it’s all coming from his arms. I think that’s why you sometimes see the hitch at the top. Sometimes, he needs the split-second load to get a bit more power on the shot to get it to the basket. In my opinion, you can see this best when he doesn’t get perfect balance, particularly on that step-back. When he’s leaning back, or just slightly off from wrong-footing the jumper, he’ll often leave the ball short on the front of the rim. But when he takes a really solid hop-step into the action, the shot looks smooth and fluid. When he’s balanced, has some time and gets some bend from his knees, the hitch irons itself out a bit and it looks much more like the one-motion jumper coaches strive to get for their players.

So what does that mean for Washington? Well, it means that I think Hachimura has a chance to shoot it at a reasonable clip at some point. Lower-body mechanics are fixable, especially for a coordinated kid. But it’s going to be a project, and it might look kind of ugly early on as he works through these things. And that moniker of “project” can likely be said for the rest of his game, too. The lack of reactivity on defense is steadily apparent in Vegas. Teaching him reads and where he needs to be is going to be absolutely essential. His feel on defense is low. He’s also not passing the ball at all in Vegas, really, other than to make escape passes. That’s another of Hachimura’s long-scouted question-marks. Can he make plays for others in decisive manners instead of just trying to make it all happen himself? This is likely a consequence of playing as the focal point of his team’s offense in Japanese competition throughout both his formative years as well as his time with the national team now. Finally, if he does want to be that primary scorer, his handle needs to tighten up substantially. I included a clip above of him getting hounded and pretty consistently losing the ball before turning it over. He just loses control of the ball a bit too often unless he’s moving decisively in a straight line.

Again, these are skills that can be worked through for a player who has come to basketball late. The athleticism is there. Where you see Hachimura shine best is when he just uses his motor to run the floor hard and create offense through effort. He doesn’t have a ton of vertical pop around the basket, but his combination of physical strength and quickness with his first step catches similarly-sized players by surprise. But given all of this, it’s easy to see why Hachimura was one of the most polarizing players in the draft for front office folks. There were legitimately some who felt the upside was worth taking in the top-six of this draft. Others didn’t grade him as a first-rounder because they didn’t want to undertake the heavy skill-based development that was necessary for him to reach his ceiling.

he also touches on Bonga, Jemerrio Jones, & Wagner in the article

The worst organizations in the NBA are the Knicks and the Wizards. If not for the Knicks repeated futility the Wizards would be running away with this title by a mile over any other organization. Their lack of loyalty and constant incompetence is much worse than anything the Redskins have EVER done.

Honestly they are the laughingstock of the league.

20 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The worst organizations in the NBA are the Knicks and the Wizards. If not for the Knicks repeated futility the Wizards would be running away with this title by a mile over any other organization. Their lack of loyalty and constant incompetence is much worse than anything the Redskins have EVER done.

Honestly they are the laughingstock of the league.

you complaining about a lack of loyalty?

• Haha 1