Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

48 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Dude, it's a $40M cap hit for nothing. That is CRIPPLING. Mike Shanahan said the cap penalties we had back in the early 2010s were debilitating and this is more than that.

Wall's is brutal as well. And Ernie cannot be relied upon to keep the team afloat. As long as Ernie is GM I will not invest in this organization beyond occasionally checking headlines.

The cap hit hurt, but that is not what sunk his team. It was letting Jim Haslett run the D for 5 years, and shanahans asinine decision to take the best 4-3 DT in the league, pay him $100 mil, and then change the defense to the 3-4, tell him to play nose tackle, and then humiliate him in training camp. 

Smith th was brought here to do exactly what he did in KC. Start for 2 years, and provide mentor ship to the heir apparent drafted this year while also being a great backup option. We need to hit a home run this draft, but all is not lost. 

John with a ruptured achiles, before the biggest contract possible drops, is soul crushing for both the franchise, the fans, and John; who might be the first homegrown superstar talent to choose to stay in DC and try to make it a better place. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Very possible that Wall's injury is even more devastating to the Wizards than Smith's is to the Redskins.

Without a doubt.  Obviously you want both guys to make a full recovery, but Wall meant EVERYTHING to this team.  EVERYTHING.  Smith wasn't here long enough to have the kind of impact Wall had both on and off the court.  This is beyond devastating news.  The Wizards org just needs to accept that they need to have a complete rebuild.  What stinks is that Grunfeld will most likely be the one overseeing it.

I wish someone in the local media would do a teardown piece of Grunfeld and the Wizards FO for their ineptitude.  This team has been utter crap since they pushed all their chips to the middle of the table to lure KG here to DC.  What was that...back in '14?  Summer of '16 was just the icing on the cake as far as everything that could go wrong with the franchise.  Literally NOTHING has gone right for this organization since 2014.  Don't even give me the drafting of Brad Beal, because that was a no-brainer.  It's becoming and echo chamber, but for the life of me it's baffling to the 10000th degree to find any way to justify Grunfeld's employment.  This has been a sinking ship for a while.  Us die-hards (and bloggers) knew it...just the FO is too blind to realize the same thing. 

30 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

most of the beat guys hide behind the "we know he isn't going anywhere, so what good would it do?" line

I think the journalist was Katie Carrera, but she wrote a SCATHING piece on the Caps in the WaPo right before McPhee got fired.  She left no stone unturned and I had never seen anything like that about a team that wasn't the Redskins. 

Grunfeld has been here for what...17 years?  No one in the media has said a thing about his track record in print.  Baffling to me. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I think the journalist was Katie Carrera, but she wrote a SCATHING piece on the Caps in the WaPo right before McPhee got fired.  She left no stone unturned and I had never seen anything like that about a team that wasn't the Redskins. 

Grunfeld has been here for what...17 years?  No one in the media has said a thing about his track record in print.  Baffling to me. 

It would be amazing if someone wrote a details blow by account of Ernie's time here

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The cap hit hurt, but that is not what sunk his team. It was letting Jim Haslett run the D for 5 years, and shanahans asinine decision to take the best 4-3 DT in the league, pay him $100 mil, and then change the defense to the 3-4, tell him to play nose tackle, and then humiliate him in training camp. 

Smith th was brought here to do exactly what he did in KC. Start for 2 years, and provide mentor ship to the heir apparent drafted this year while also being a great backup option. We need to hit a home run this draft, but all is not lost. 

John with a ruptured achiles, before the biggest contract possible drops, is soul crushing for both the franchise, the fans, and John; who might be the first homegrown superstar talent to choose to stay in DC and try to make it a better place. 

He did say it was the most debilitating penalty ever assessed in NFL history. I do think this is worse but they have the opportunity this week to ease the pain. TRADE. EVERYBODY.

Re: bolded assuming you mean just for the Wizards?

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It would be amazing if someone wrote a details blow by account of Ernie's time here

I feel like that’s been done on this site. Though I would substitute amazing with the word depressing.

I'd love to see Kornheiser or Wilbon write something. That would be powerful and get lots of recognition. I don't know how often they write for the Washington Post anymore. 

I seriously can't think of a worse NBA franchise. The Clippers? I know we won a title in 1978. And that's about it. So little success. It's sad. DC is brutal, we grew up in an inept city when it comes to sports.

21 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'd love to see Kornheiser or Wilbon write something. That would be powerful and get lots of recognition. I don't know how often they write for the Washington Post anymore. 

I seriously can't think of a worse NBA franchise. The Clippers? I know we won a title in 1978. And that's about it. So little success. It's sad. DC is brutal, we grew up in an inept city when it comes to sports.

Any time they talk about the Wizards on PTI, which they did today, they never speak of EG for better or worse. Considering they trash other organizations including the Redskins, they seem to either not care or maybe they like EG. 

The reason is obvious: he is the inside source. No writer wants to give up their inside man. Woj has been getting direct information from eg for 15 years or more. That includes scoops from a franchise that has guns in locker rooms, player turmoil, failed trades, heartbreak, etc. Reporting on the failures of the Washington Wizards is a profitable venture. No one wants to give that up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Michael Lee article on Wall in The Athletic is really sad.

His mom is currently battling breast cancer and he just had a baby in December.

Wall is an emotional dude, and i dont mean that as a pejorative.

I sincerely hope he has good people around him, life is raining hard on that man.

40 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Wall is an emotional dude, and i dont mean that as a pejorative.

I sincerely hope he has good people around him, life is raining hard on that man.

He's gonna be making $40 Mil sitting around at home.

I feel bad for him as a competitor/athlete but lets not make it sound like he's gonna be broke and homeless.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel bad for him as a competitor/athlete but lets not make it sound like he's gonna be broke and homeless.

And let's not pretend like any amount of money would make up for his mom possibly dying.  Anyone that's seen a special on him in his house knows they are close.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Money doesnt secure emotional wellbeing. His mom is clearly important to his life and he doesnt have the "distraction" that basketball can present