Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I really can't believe this injury.  Last night around 4 am pacific time I was typing how I hope Wall can come back next year and prove all the doubters wrong.  Ten hours later I read he tore his Achilles.  It's like jesus christ wow how bad can it get?

It's going to be a gigantic rebuild.  I said 5+ years earlier, now it is looking like 10+ years.  Curse O' Les Boulez in a nutshell.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What would it take to get you to come back?  Or would you be done done?

A new front office and coaching staff and a couple of high draft picks I can believe in.

But beyond that, I'm just not going to have the same enthusiasm for the NBA that I used to in the absence of structural reforms.  We need a hard cap.

• Like 1

I can live with a genuine rebuild.

What I Can't live with is the thought of EG leading this rebuild.

So if that happens I'll just tune out the Wiz and the NBA in general.

Focus on college football.

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Probably time to change the title of this thread. 

No.

Not yet.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I've always liked college basketball more than the NBA.  More of a team game and overall more parity.  We all know the Warriors are going to win the championship this year.  I downright guarantee it.  I'm not going to argue that the NBA has more athletes and a faster exciting pace.  But part of me likes teams taking their time and attempting to dissect zones and other defensive schemes.  You see way more upsets.  And March Madness is the best sporting event bar none.  NFL playoffs is the only other one that compares imo.  

So go Hoyas and Terps!  :) I suggest you all pick a team and start cheering, if you haven't already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I can live with a genuine rebuild.

What I Can't live with is the thought of EG leading this rebuild.

So if that happens I'll just tune out the Wiz and the NBA in general.

Focus on college football.

No.

Not yet.

A lot of people didn't understand my urgency with the Redskins recently, I believe you do.  This is exactly what I'm talking about, you started this thread, it just shows how little these teams care about us being diehards, puts that term into perspective.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A lot of people didn't understand my urgency with the Redskins recently, I believe you do.  This is exactly what I'm talking about, you started this thread, it just shows how little these teams care about us being diehards, puts that term into perspective.

Yep.

You and I are on the same page.

Go GET Haskins. The future is now.

Don't take anything for granted (John Wall)

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

He got injured January 29.

He had the surgery 21 days prior. He is probably in a lot of pain so he drugged up and fell. It's not hard to believe that he injured himself in his home.

It also doesn't actually matter.

But wasn't Wall at the Bucks game on Feb. 2nd?

I said before that Walls contract felt like Arenas all over again, and here we are.  There’s no getting out from under it now.  If he takes 15 months to get back, he'll be 30 the next time he plays for the Wizards, right?  Two seasons down the toilet and no reason for optimism as we have the largest possible NBA contract given to a player that will have played 73 games in three seasons.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not me.

I've been thinking about the possibility of Ernie conducting another rebuild all year and I've made my decision.  I'm not going to be a real fan any more.  I'll switch to watching the Mavs full time and shoot the **** about the NBA as a general observer, but I won't be rooting for anyone any more.

Excellent decision. I already checked out until Ernie is fired. There is no reason to waste precious hours of the day caring about this organization until it shows it wants to actually succeed.

And yes at this point just completely blow it up and trade Beal to the highest bidder. We should've already been tanking for a shot at Zion but Ted is too dumb to run the Wizards like the Capitals. All you can do now is acquire a TON of draft picks and hope this franchise does something is does terribly, develop no-brainer talents.

• Like 2

I was just talking with some buddies of mine about what they would do if the could go back in time. 1, I would like to go to a wrestle mania in the attitude era, or a tlc on smackdown with the Dudley boys, hardy boyz, and edge+Christian. 

The second is preventing myself self from being a fan of this franchise. 

38 minutes ago, Destino said:

I said before that Walls contract felt like Arenas all over again, and here we are.  There’s no getting out from under it now.  If he takes 15 months to get back, he'll be 30 the next time he plays for the Wizards, right?  Two seasons down the toilet and no reason for optimism as we have the largest possible NBA contract given to a player that will have played 73 games in three seasons.  

And this isn't hindsight, lots of us wanted to get out from that contract at all costs this season just for breathing room. Team was going nowhere as constructed anyway so even if he was still the best player on the team, it made no meaningful difference.

John Wall was in another stratosphere that Alex Smith could never dream of being in. We can replace Smith with Tyrod Taylor or a Jason Campbell clone for half a season and then follow him up with a rookie (Haskins or Grier) and still win the division. John’s injury just ended the franchise. For atleast 6 years; possibly more. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

John Wall was in another stratosphere that Alex Smith could never dream of being in. We can replace Smith with Tyrod Taylor or a Jason Campbell clone for half a season and then follow him up with a rookie (Haskins or Grier) and still win the division. John’s injury just ended the franchise. For atleast 6 years; possibly more. 

ernie grunfeld ended the franchise, wall will just get the blame

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Dude, it's a $40M cap hit for nothing. That is CRIPPLING. Mike Shanahan said the cap penalties we had back in the early 2010s were debilitating and this is more than that.

Wall's is brutal as well. And Ernie cannot be relied upon to keep the team afloat. As long as Ernie is GM I will not invest in this organization beyond occasionally checking headlines.

• Like 1

Dad still fighting the good fight. 

Saying Wall can't be traded,so we may get a calmer version of him who final focuses on his jumpshot, relying more on his passing ability.  If we can keep Beal and Wall, everyone else can go if necessary.  

Im not saying I agree with this, just that Wall possibly isnt going anywhere unless he retires because of that contract.  

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We been waiting for Wall to get a shot for like a decade now. 

It it would be nice. 

But

You know me, I'm an optimist.  Anything I'm the opposite on is not a good sign.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It definitely is.  Our whole damn team is built around Wall and NBA contracts are fully guaranteed.

If there was no dead money anymore, I wouldn't care if they were fully guaranteed in any sport.  Dead Cap money can effectively destroy a franchise for something out of their control.

Edited by Renegade7