Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Unless Ted is driving, Ernie just added salary and gave away a pick, doesnt scream hot seat to me which is more disturbing.

We've seen this before.  Wittman will be thrown to the wolves and Ernie extended.  The knucklehead era has returned.  Watch for a players coach to be signed afterwards, because anyone that tries to be come down on Morris is just going to cause a scene.  Ernie is doing what he always does, collecting a class of over rated with no interest in team chemistry, that are just good to keep him employed.   

We've seen this before.  Wittman will be thrown to the wolves and Ernie extended.  The knucklehead era has returned.  Watch for a players coach to be signed afterwards, because anyone that tries to be come down on Morris is just going to cause a scene.  Ernie is doing what he always does, collecting a class of over rated with no interest in team chemistry, that are just good to keep him employed.   

Dang Des, I think you're going a bit overboard.

One "potential" loose cannon doesn't indicate "a return to the "knucklehead era".

Not saying I love this but it has potential to be a very good move.

This is a horrible trade for the Wiz. How Ernie is still allowed to make decisions for this organization is crazy? So Morris can score a little. He's not that good. He is younger and slightly better than Blair, but Hump can play. Hump can hit the mid range jumper and can rebound. We messed up his game by trying to turn him into a 3 point shooter/perimeter player. Dumb ass coaching and dumb ass GM switching our team philosophy. Ted better clean house when this season is over, but he won't. Still can't believe we had to give a 1st round pick too. Should have been a 2nd round pick. Love this team, but we are stuck in mediocrity. I hope it works out, but I don't have any faith in this organization.

Wizards did their research before trading for Morris.They called former coaches, teammates. Believe he'll fit in and have something to prove

Wizards were also looking for a jolt and young front-court piece. At 26, his prime aligns with Wall as Beal and Porter enter theirs.

All in all, im pretty happy with the trade. I am on record as being one of the few here who advocated trading for Keiff for weeks now. Getting rid of both Humphies and Blair's salaries ( an extra 16 mil off the books) sweetens the pot. Kind of surprised by the 1st added to the deal, but I guess we can be happy its protected. Good trade.

All in all, im pretty happy with the trade. I am on record as being one of the few here who advocated trading for Keiff for weeks now. Getting rid of both Humphies and Blair's salaries ( an extra 16 mil off the books) sweetens the pot. Kind of surprised by the 1st added to the deal, but I guess we can be happy its protected. Good trade.

Only top nine protection though. It'll transfer this season unless we end up in the lottery and jump into the top three.

Blair's contract wasn't guaranteed for next season and Hump's wasn't going to be tough to move as a 4 million dollar expiring connected to a rotation caliber player. The first round pick was a real asset. We gave up a potential Kelly Oubre for Keef when Phoenix was desperate to dump him. He better be good because this looks like a bad deal at first blush.

Personally, I'm not a big fan yet but I'll wait and see before I say it was a bad trade. I value first round picks since it's cheap labor. Also Keef seems like a turd and the Wizards have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of getting scorched by guys like this. But if he can behave himself, then I do like what he brings to the table for us. Young competent starting PF with three point range. It'll end up being a good deal if Keef takes hold of the starting PF spot.

But he's just as likely to flame out in spectacular fashion as for that to happen.

I wish we could get Ryan Anderson too, but didn't really have anything that made sense to give up for him since he's an expiring.

If Keef does work out and becomes our starting PF, then his contract is awesome. Average of 8 million per year for the next three years. Plus Otto's 5 and Gortat's 12 = 25 million per year on our starting front court until it's time to re-up Otto. That's peanuts. Wall's contract is a real bargain too. Beal's will be the only expensive one. But since we don't have any other bad deals, we'll have a ton of money left over. Could offer a max contract to Durant and be able to put a complete rotation around him. Can't beat what OKC offers, but our offer is in fact credible. If we had a better FO and coaching staff to sell to him that is.

But even if it's unlikely we land Durant, we'll still have a ton of money to fill out the other four spots in our rotation (Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, Morris, and Gortat are the top six). We can keep Sessions and Dudley and then spend a ton of money on the final two spots to get two of the best role players in the league. I would go for Ryan Anderson and Bismack Biyombo, or spend to get a truly good back up C. Maybe Tyler Zeller?

So yeah, Morris better work out. It'd solve a lot of problems if he did.

One thing that's good about Morris is he's durable. Looking at his BR page, he's only missed one game before this season. Looks like a 30 MPG player. His shooting numbers have been ****ing horrible this season but he's been in an awful situation this year. Ramon's and Neal's numbers were awful too before they came here, and then they saw huge jumps in productivity. The effect of coming to a better situation and playing a role that made sense for them. Morris will benefit a great deal from playing with Wall.

Pretty sure Blair had a player option... and you better believe he would pick that up. Morris is young, cheap, and fills a huge role on the team. Ernie has always been great at trading, but terrible at running the ship. Kind of like how Bruce Allen is a good cap man, but terrible GM.

Blair's contract was non-guaranteed. He could be cut with no penalty against the cap.

Morris is definitely cheap. If he works out, then his contract could be a huge bargain. But he's a headcase. This is definitely a risky move.

Its a "meh" trade. I mean Morris isn't terrible or anything, but what do you really hope to gain with this trade? A playoff birth only to lose in round 1 to Cleveland? Is that worth giving up a 1st rounder? Its a "save my ass" move by Ernie. You don't give up 1st round picks just to try to barely make the playoffs, it just isn't worth it.

This organization just has no intelligence at all. No real vision on how to build a real contender. Even the attempt at bringing in Durant was stupid because it was so painfully obvious and transparent that it made us look like a clown show.

I would say this probably cements Sato coming over next year. In essence, Sato will be our 1st. I am assuming that we lost out on the KD2DC sweepstakes, but we will have enough cash to resign Beal, possibly Duds on a mid tier contract, and have some left over to find a decent big. I hear Blake Griffin is on the trade block once the season ends.

Lol. yea... But still, its going to be Sessions or Sato, and Sessions hasnt shown enough to warrant a multi year contract. Sato still garners interest around the league.

Between those two the choice is easily Sessions. Sato is a second round nobody that hasn't shown urgency to play in the NBA. Sessions is the only back up point guard that's ever worked well here. Odds of Sato being ready to back Wall up is zero and that's an important position. Beal can't do it either.

• Like 2

I would trade Sato if he has decent value and keep Sessions. Sessions is the best back up PG we've had in ages and Sato will be an NBA rookie and he comes off like an ass.

A Phoenix fan on RealGM said that Markieff only really started getting into trouble when Phoenix acquired his brother Marcus, who was a bad influence. Phoenix deal Marcus to excise the cancer, which was a betrayal to Markieff and made the situation intolerable.

If that's true, then the change of scenery might be what he needs to get his career back on track. Just don't trade for his brother.

• Like 1

People are so negative. This is a great trade. We traded two guys we were not using, and a protected 1st, in a really crappy draft. For a good young PF in his prime at a really friendly contract.

Morris, became very angry after he agreed to a very team friendly contract with the promise that his brother would remain on the team.... then they traded his brother.

His per 36 numbers the last two years before this season were very good

He is 26, 6'10" and shoots over 30% from 3.... He is a perfect fit to be honest.

• Like 2