Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hopefully, if they were dead on their feet the back of the bench got some good run and Oubre got some meaningful minutes.

But, of course that didn't happen, as the Wiz would need a coach who has a clue about player development.

Beyond done with this coach/GM combo, though, if I had to choose only one, I'd jettison Wittman post haste.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/four-days-with-john-wall---i-ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

With only 28 games remaining, the Wizards are running out of time and excuses if they plan to make a third straight trip to the postseason. Team president Ernie Grunfeld provided “a jolt” with the trade-deadline acquisition of Markieff Morris from Phoenix – a move that perhaps signaled the desperation in a critical season for a franchise that has seemingly been in a holding pattern, waiting for this summer, when hometown superstar Kevin Durant will decide what he’ll do in free agency.

“I know what our goal is, to try to go after Kevin, which is not a bad situation. But my ultimate goal is this year. I ain’t trying to waste a season,” Wall recently told The Vertical. “I’m in my sixth year. Time don’t wait for nobody and I’ve dealt with it my first three years of not being in the playoffs. I know how it feels to have a longer summer, a longer vacation. I don’t want that. I want to be seen on TV. I know the city wants to see that. And as a point guard, you get known as being a winner in this league, not being a loser. And that’s something I never want to do. Since I’ve been in the playoffs, I want to finish my career making the playoffs every single year if I have the opportunity.”

Wall is having arguably the finest statistical season of his career at a time when his team his trying to avoid capsizing under a deluge of injuries, inconsistency and defensive inefficiency. The grind has been especially hard on Wall, the only player on the team to start all 54 games despite dealing with some minor injuries that require frequent attention. He has felt an obligation to keep suiting up because, “I knew I didn’t want to get too far behind. I knew the team needed me as much as possible.”

more in the link

I do agree though that back to backs need to be eliminated. There is no reason for them, should be able to do a better job scheduling 82 games over 5 months.

Very difficult. You have to remember that most teams share a venue with a hockey team and in some cases a college basketball team. Throw in concerts, the circus and special events, it would be impossible. Back to back is not bad. I'm mean, these guys are professionals. It shouldnt be that hard on them.

Edited by pjfootballer

Cant shake the feeling that Wall will walk at the end of his deal if **** doesnt change....and i wouldnt blame him

As I've said before the danger with Wall is that he feels like he's not getting enough exposure and appreciation. He feels slighted by the national team, fired his agent, complained about all star votes, and makes little statements all the time that suggest he's focused on it. Look at that last article and one line immediately stands out.

"I want to be seen on TV."

If the Wizards remain a mediocre franchise that's easy for the national media to ignore, and they really do go out of their way to ignore the Wizards, I definitely see Wall leaving to team that gets him the attention he wants to build his brand.

No one but Desperate Ernie. 

I can see Wall leaving when his deal is done, and if things don't change, I wouldn't blame him one bit. He is a great PG, IMO, the best in the Eastern Conference, yet he routinely isn't voted into the All-Star game as a starter and the sports media often forget to mention him when they speak of the best guards in the league, Oh, they'll freely admit the Wizards only win because of him and remark on his passing prowess....but only when he has a spectacular night. If he averages 22 pts and 11 assist a game for a whole month no one would say ****.  

Ernie doesn't have a winner's mindset, and Randy can't develop talent at all. Elite players used to avoid DC like the plague. Now their interest is held for a moment due to Wall, but eventually choose a better ran organization instead. 

LOL last year Caps fans were saying he only cared about the wizards.

I will clue you in, he cares about ticket sales at Verizon center, thats all.

This. I've said it before, anyone who knows the history of Ted here knows that the Caps were an afterthought. That's why he owned them first. They were his way to the top of the list to buy the Wizards when Abe passed. That's a fact. To argue that he only cares about the Caps is absurd. Much better, LEGITIMATE, reasons to bash him.

This thread is starting to make me feel old.

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

Whelp, when you create an atmosphere where the most engaged the fans get is for chicken sandwiches... This offseason is a make or break for the franchise imo. If we fail on Durant, then there better be a very clear plan B. Otherwise, yea we probably will lose Wall as well.

I think Wall stays if Beal and Porter reach their potential. That will give him enough of a supporting cast for the team to remain a playoff fixture. I think Beal will be an All Star during healthy seasons, kind of like Irving, and I think Porter will grow into an elite role player that will see a couple of AS games in his late 20s, much like Rip Hamilton did.

Beal already has the talent to be an AS today IMO. I think he's made a leap in his game. Health and availability are his only serious issue.

Porter is still a work in progress. He's at the stage of his career where he can flash excellence one night and be invisible the next. He needs to improve his consistency moving forward, particularly on defense, and perfect his three ball. But I'm confident he'll get there. He was outstanding in that Detroit game despite only scoring 11 points. When he's dialed in on defense he's absolutely brilliant. He's come a long way from where he was at this time a year ago.

Another thing we can do to keep Wall is to maintain a stable of quality front court players for the duration of Wall's 20s. That's why I liked the idea I threw out earlier of signing Al Horford this summer. I think that between him, Morris, and Gorat, you'd have your three man group of bigs locked up medium term--assuming Morris doesn't flame out on us. Gortat and Morris are on bargain contracts, which gives us the flexibility to spend for a big man as good and expensive as Horford. We should do it. The team would be loaded and have high quality starters at every position as well as decent depth.

Steve, to me it doesn't matter about Beal or Porter. Wall wants to have exposure and the only way to get it is if the team starts winning 50+ games a year every year. Now, you can say that yes, that will tie into with them improving, but the "team" has to start winning and appearing more on national TV, etc. Beal and Porter can improve all they want, but if the team is not a winner, it won't help him.