Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

They'd rid themselves of Gortat's contract and have even more cap space going into next season (Dwight will most likely walk)....

With a new GM, and vision...why not? 

Like a lot of you have been saying, we're wasting Wall's prime years.  Time is now to figure out the direction of this team...

I wouldn't make that trade.  I think the Wizards need to do the opposite, they need to tank.  Play Oubre big minutes the rest of the season and trade Dudley for draft picks.  Whatever this team was supposed to be, failed, and with all those expiring contracts it makes more sense to have draft picks now and have more options when remaking this roster after this season.  The only player they should be in the market to acquire is a young center. 

Plus there is a slight chance they end up with Ben Simmons, which would change everything.  It wouldn't be the plan, but it's nice to have a shot at someone that appears to have a bright future after a terribly disappointing season for the Wizards. 

I'm all for this move...especially if it gets rid of Gortat's contract. 

Trading for Dwight Howard wouldn't be a bad idea for the Wizards, but it would be impractical

Why on Earth would you want to dump Gortat's contract, especially in exchange for nothing?

You realize it's one of the biggest bargains of any center in the NBA now right?

• Like 2

Why on Earth would you want to dump Gortat's contract, especially in exchange for nothing?

You realize it's one of the biggest bargains of any center in the NBA now right?

Just trying to figure out how to revamp most of the roster outside of Wall, and possibly Beal. 

Obviously if this deal is considered or even made, a good plan B will have to be on the table as far as figuring out who to sign w/ the cap space as a replacement for Howard/Gortat. 

Uh....

Steve Kyler @stevekylerNBA 20m20 minutes ago

Steve Kyler Retweeted SaintsnPelicans

I am telling where things stand - not what gets done. If Wiz want Anderson they can get him with Porter. #TheirCall

Edited by RonArtest15

Porter for Anderson... no.  I wouldn't mind Plumlee so long as the price tag is cheap.  We need a young back up true center and we have for a long while.  Plumlee isn't great but he's that.  He's also an expiring deal which the Wizards seem to prize at the moment.

Just trying to figure out how to revamp most of the roster outside of Wall, and possibly Beal.

Yeah but you want to keep your good contracts if you're retooling, if for no other reason than to have trade assets.

If you compare the season Gortat's having to Dwight's, you might be surprised to see that the only difference between them is rebounding (favors Dwight, but Gortat's numbers are still good), FG% (again, favors Dwight but Gortat's is good), and FT% (majorly favors Gortat). Everything else is almost identical. Including minutes played.

Gortat is a tank and we might be at a tipping point in Dwight's career where he's just not really that much better. Looks like he's in rapid decline. And he's got a ton more mileage on him than Gortat. And he's going to want 30+ million this summer. We're better off with Gortat TBH. And having a starting C as good as Gortat locked up for just 12 million when guys like Robin Lopez are getting 4 years 55 million deals is a big team building asset. We're basically getting a 7 or 8 million dollar per year discount with him now. That makes it easier to chase free agents--8 million is a quality rotation player.

Gortat is a real trade chip. Only reason to move him would be to get a long term big man that is at least as good and that is closer to Wall's age.

Porter for Anderson... no.  I wouldn't mind Plumlee so long as the price tag is cheap.  We need a young back up true center and we have for a long while.  Plumlee isn't great but he's that.  He's also an expiring deal which the Wizards seem to prize at the moment.

Yes to Plumlee, depending on the price. **** no to Porter for Anderson. That would be an unbelievably stupid deal, of course New Orleans would say yes to that offer. Oubre for Anderson is more plausible, and thus more frightening. Anderson is going to be a two month rental. Not worth it to give up anything of value for him.

While Dwight is a better center than Gortat, I dont want Dwight around here. He is athletically in decline and thinks he is much better offensively than he is.

Simmons threw up an interesting trade thats over now since Birdman was traded to Memphis, but he suggested Gortat and Dudley for Whiteside, Anderson, and Deng. I would have done the trade.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

If we trade Porter or Oubre for anything right now, I will have bought my last ticket/merchandise of this organization. I will think long and hard about continuing to watch as well.

Depends on what it is.  If they are packaged in a deal that brings Cousins here, I'm probably good.  If they bring a role player or friggin Dwight Howard, I'm writing Ted some ugly emails. 

I said it years ago when Dwight was still in Orlando, and the reports were saying he had major lower back issues. When I found out it was a herniated disk, I knew his career was going to start to decline. Speaking as someone with a herniated disk, your athleticism takes a severe hit, as simple things like running or jumping can be excruciating. People are just now noticing he's no longer as athletic or dynamic as he used to be. For basketball players, that kind of injury and subsequent surgery gives your career a shelf life of five years at the most. 

Speaking as someone with a herniated disk, your athleticism takes a severe hit, as simple things like running or jumping can be excruciating. 

I also have a herniated disk and my experience has mirrored yours.  You can recover but you're not the same.  It's also very easy to reinjure your back, and it doesn't necessarily take a serious impact or anything obviously damaging to do it. 

• Like 1

I said it years ago when Dwight was still in Orlando, and the reports were saying he had major lower back issues. When I found out it was a herniated disk, I knew his career was going to start to decline. Speaking as someone with a herniated disk, your athleticism takes a severe hit, as simple things like running or jumping can be excruciating. People are just now noticing he's no longer as athletic or dynamic as he used to be. For basketball players, that kind of injury and subsequent surgery gives your career a shelf life of five years at the most.

David Robinson is another example. He was one of the most athletic centers ever, but when he got that back injury in 1997, he was never the same player after.

Tracy McGrady as well.

Completely agree. Imo Wall, Porter, and possibly Oubre are the only untouchables. Im ok with Beal if it nets us a Cousins caliber player. ( i.e. a true max caliber player). But outside that, Im perfectly content with riding out the storm with the status quo. If that means we miss the playoffs and lose out on KD but Wittman and EG lose their jobs in the process, all the more incentive.

• Like 2

I can't sign on to any deal using Silky Otto Porter. He's everything you want in a near-elite swingman, on and off the court, and he's a Hoya.

Not the type of guy you ship out at 24YO cause his salary fits the deal. He's almost as untradable as Wall...in my eyes.

He won't be 24 years old until after next season....