Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not trying to clown anybody here but there was a LOT of talk of a 50 win season and even one 60 win season during the pre-season when we were making the 76er's our ****. 

Now it's the All Star break and we're 5 games below .500.  The Curse of Les Boulez. 

Why wouldn't there be optimism for a 50 win season?  Most of us thought that despite the warts on the roster, the new style of play COMBINED with the defensive identity that the squad already had was a recipe for success.  There was no reason no to think this team wouldn't be 5-8 wins better than the previous year.

This season has been a disappointment, no question.  However, I fully believe that Ted will clean house at the end of the year.  Much like with what he did w/ the Caps. 

• Like 1

I just don't understand our defensive regression. Poor rebounding due to smaller lineups and guys leaking out to run, I can grasp. But I don't get the poor D. Given that it's supposed to be Wittman's forte, I think it's safe to say that he'll get canned if we miss the playoffs this year. Hard for me to root for the team to tank, but it may be for the best.

We won 46 last year. I got me thinking with the way we played in the playoffs and some of the acquisitions we found, we would improve. I think I said 50-52 wins, which is a 4-6 game improvement. Not too much to ask for. But it became apparent the first few weeks that the team wasn't what they were and Ernie failed to replace what we had. I never had any unrealistic goals of 60 wins and a title. I was just hoping to build on last year.

Edited by pjfootballer

I just don't understand our defensive regression. Poor rebounding due to smaller lineups and guys leaking out to run, I can grasp. But I don't get the poor D. Given that it's supposed to be Wittman's forte, I think it's safe to say that he'll get canned if we miss the playoffs this year. Hard for me to root for the team to tank, but it may be for the best.

It's a case study in how demoralization and a lack of trust and commitment turns good defensive players into bad ones. John is a quintessential example. He has the tools to be the best defender at the PG position in the NBA by a mile, and for a while last season he was. This year he's been awful. A matador.

• Like 1

There is nothing more demoralizing than playing great defense, forcing a bad shot, and then they get an easy rebound and put back. That is why John has been bad at defense this year. The defensive production from the 4 has clearly been our biggest issue all year. Second only to Beal's health.

Who would you all like to see come in and coach next year?  One name I hope we have nothing to do with is Mark Jackson.  What makes me worried is Wall's partnership with Rich Paul/Clutch Sports who are also Jackson's reps.  If Wall has any say, I just wonder if he'll make a strong push for Jackson.  Remember, Jackson is who Lebron and Co. wanted over Blatt (which was obviously vetoed). 

*Speaking of Blatt, I wonder how he'd fare coaching in an environment where he wasn't handcuffed....

There is nothing more demoralizing than playing great defense, forcing a bad shot, and then they get an easy rebound and put back. That is why John has been bad at defense this year. The defensive production from the 4 has clearly been our biggest issue all year. Second only to Beal's health.

It goes beyond that for Wall. He's been gambling for steals left and right at the beginning of opposing possessions and screwing the defense over and then he turns around and gets mad at his teammates for not covering his man. He's not putting in the effort to play 24 seconds of defense before the shot goes up. Not even close.

Defense takes cohesion and motivation. Our players don't have it, and it's not just because of the poor rebounding. Our perimeter guys aren't fighting through screens or staying in front of their man. They're not hedging hard and recovering on pick an rolls, they're just switching, but not effectively. All five are ball watching. They don't box out. None of the bigs except Gortat rotate to protect the rim.

They've lost cohesion and trust in each other, themselves, and the system, and they aren't putting in the effort. They're one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA now.

I would like Blatt, but worried due to the Wall--Lebron connection.

I don't know, Wall's not LeBron. Wall doesn't kill coaches, he's never sought that kind of control before. He is loyal and seems to develop very close relationships with his coaches. He's probably the reason Randy Wittman didn't get fired the year we got Otto Porter.

I'd be open to David Blatt, but I'm not sure his offensive system is the best fit for us. I read he likes to incorporate a lot of Princeton concepts and our offense is naturally more dependent on Wall and Beal creating from the perimeter. I don't know if it would suit Wall. He's a good enough player to adapt, but we don't actually have to work that hard to create a solid offense because we're fortunate to have the fourth best PG in the league. It's the defense that needs to be fixed.

Don't want Mark Jackson though. He is nuts.

We need a motion ball movement system coach. Something that reduces the dependency the team has on Wall Session and (especially) Beal dribbling too much to get anything from the role players. We aren't going to win anything that way unless we get way more talent.

Wall effortlessly got everyone good shots. As soon as the ball left his hands and it was someone else's turn to create, it became DeRozan chucking up a bunch of bricks and Pau Gasol getting stuck taking threes.

Wall is definitely the best PG in the East. He's better than Lowry by a pretty fair margin. Irving too, but Irving is the only one with the potential to reach his level. The only EC players better than Wall at this point are LeBron and Paul George, and it's close between Wall and George. Those two are the future of the conference after LeBron gets old.

• Like 2