Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

One of you guys brought it up, but it's crazy (and forward-thinking) how the Hawks are leading their division, fresh off a 60 win season, and have ZERO problems blowing things up. 

I'm not advocating for the Wizards to blow everything up (roster-wise) until after the dust settles following free agency...but something could be done regarding some of the FO personnel and with the coaching staff, right? 

If the Hawks blow it up, I want Paul Millsap. He'd be a perfect fit for us. Completely change the course of our build.

The reason the Hawks are willing to blow up Danny Ferry's team is because Danny Ferry is gone. And I don't think doing so will lead to them getting better.

They're also in a different situation in that they don't have a perennial AS player to build around. They can blow it up and start over without losing that guy. But it also makes building a winner harder because you need to find that perfect chemical mix of really good role players to create a good offense.

Can't say I'd ever switch teams, but I've been a lethargic fan for about 25 years with a couple of times where I thought thing would get better (Webber, Howard era) and (the last couple of years), but I wouldn't switch.

I don't care about becoming lethargic. I think everyone has their breaking point and I think everyone has periods of lethargy. But to switch teams? It's like defecting. Rooting for your hometown team is akin to patriotism. It would be like rooting for the USSR in hockey in '80 because the US is blah. That's my take anyway. I'm not respecting anyone who switches. Ever.

It could also be Hawks management realizing that the current core of players can only go so far. That's the foresight that the Wizards have lacked since forever.

God yes. Championship or bust.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

This year is kind of a one-off.  Personally, I think there will be major changes with this franchise going into next season.  Barring a playoff run that results in a Finals appearance, most of the FO/coaching staff will be done and the roster outside of 5-6 players will be changed (Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, Gortat).  Although, Wall is the only untouchable asset we have...anyone outside of him can be dealt.  I just don't want Grunfeld making the deal mid-season, unless the haul brings in someone like Blake Griffin or Demarcus Cousins. 

I'd change the FO in the offseason no doubt. But I wouldn't have extended Ernie in 2012.

As far as the roster goes, I wouldn't blow it up. I at least want to bring back Beal, Sessions, and Dudley. Those three plus Wall, Porter, Gortat, Humphries, and Oubre = 8 returning. I'd release Blair and Gooden, who are only partially guaranteed. I'd also consider bringing back Neal, Anderson, and Temple. Neal because he's a 40% three pt shooter, Temple because he's a useful utility player, and Anderson because I still want to see what he can do. A year removed from his surgery should be enough time. But I wouldn't be dead set on ant of them.

That really just leaves the front court to be remade, where Gortat is our only keeper. I need to add three rotation worthy players from outside the organization here, including a starting PF and a high quality back up C. I'm OK with keeping Humphries as a back up PF for another season, but I wouldn't hesitate to deal him if I could get him off the books.

This would be my intended 10 man rotation:

PG: Wall, Sessions

SG: Beal, Oubre

SF: Porter, Dudley

PF: X, X

C: Gortat, X

With Temple, Neal, Hump, draft pick, and maybe Sato as the final five roster spots.

I think the temptation to blow the roster up is strong because of how disappointing the season has been versus our expectations. But you have to consider the context of being the most injured team + playing the second hardest schedule. That plus a weak coaching staff probably shaved ten wins so far off what we can reasonably expect from this roster.

I think you can get the PF position sorted out and add some young legs there and get another rim protecting C to come off the bench and expect major improvement next season.

Doesn't Sato want a big contract just to come here? I'm still not sold on that guy.

He's a second rounder so I think he's not bound by the rookie wage scale and can thus negotiate whatever kind of deal he wants. I'm not sold on him either. He just signed a contract extension with his Spanish team in January so it seems like he's not coming to the NBA next year.

I'd be shopping him. He's one of the best players on one of the best teams outside the NBA. His draft rights should actually have decent trade value.

Washington is the worst rebounding team in the league. In the draft, I'd love to grab a Senior like Denzel Valentine but I think we are going to have to focus on a young big who can rebound.

That's because Dudley is playing PF and guys are leaking out instead of crashing boards. Not crashing down on defense cost us big in the playoffs last year but the team seems happy to risk giving up easy second chance points in order to get out and run.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

This year is kind of a one-off.  Personally, I think there will be major changes with this franchise going into next season.  Barring a playoff run that results in a Finals appearance, most of the FO/coaching staff will be done and the roster outside of 5-6 players will be changed (Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre, Gortat).  Although, Wall is the only untouchable asset we have...anyone outside of him can be dealt.  I just don't want Grunfeld making the deal mid-season, unless the haul brings in someone like Blake Griffin or Demarcus Cousins. 

I'm surprised you actually believe Ted will actually do something about this. Ernie seems to have him firmly in his pocket. 

Is it wrong if I root for us to lose so Ted might actually feel the pressure to fire Ernie and Randy? I feel like a bad fan when I we lose and I'm not that broken up about it. 

I did a couple years back during that meaningless 6 game win streak to end the season that saved everybody's job. We've been paying it for that streak since.

I'm not trying to clown anybody here but there was a LOT of talk of a 50 win season and even one 60 win season during the pre-season when we were making the 76er's our ****. 

Now it's the All Star break and we're 5 games below .500.  The Curse of Les Boulez.