Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

The floor is 90% of the cap now?  Still, if your goal is to truly tank, feels like you could easily get there taking on shorter contracts and extending dudes like Avdija rather than taking a guy who is kinda good on a four year deal.

To me it feels like they actually like Poole and aren't planning on having an extended tank, nor are they looking for big contracts they can flip as expirings in a year.  The Poole deal makes more sense if you grant that they view it as buying low on a player whose long term value they like for themselves.

I agree with PeterMP, it feels like they're building a team with about 30 wins in them next year, that's going to be in like the ~sixth pick range instead of what the Rockets/Pistons were.  You're not really gonna bottom out if six or seven guys in your ten man rotation are actually decent players.  Say next year's draft is as good as this one's and the top three have three future All Stars... It'll be tricky to move up from like six into that range with the assets we have because we didn't get anything starry back from our fire sale.  Unless Poole makes an unexpected leap.  But then would we want to deal him?

I don't think the window of our rebuild is set to be as long as people are expecting.  More like just planning on being pretty bad next year, but not truly tanking.  I'm ok with that because a Trust the Process style five year tank is dumb and doesn't work, plus it is a sure path for Winger getting fired.  We've got to build a culture here, and can't put that off for long.  Long tanks usually just mean you waste most of your young talent as you become a farm team for the rest of the league.  But we probably do need to actually be bad next season and finish in the top three of the lottery.  Gotta try and find that perennial All Star to build around.

What makes you think they are going to pull off 30 wins? There is no one on this team, as it stands, who has been a consistent NBA starter outside of old man Gallo. I could’ve seen 30 wins if they kept CP3 and Porzingis but doubt it happens now

49 minutes ago, method man said:

They should focus on trading Jones. He is not going to resign here and his current salary is relatively cheap. Kind of surprising to me they couldn’t finagle something out of the Lakers or Clippers for him predraft. Of the guys on the roster, he brings in max value in my opinion

DA seemed to imply they were hoping for Anthony Black but the Magic messed that up for them, taking him at #6. At that point, it became obvious who they should take given Whitmore’s medicals. I totally buy that Indy was getting interest in the pick from other teams for Bilal - easy call for Indy to make the first call to us given they must have really wanted Walker and trading down 1 pick guaranteed they could still get him

Yeah, have no issue trading at least one of our PGs (we need to) for the best deal out there.  Wright probably fetches the most honestly considering his low salary and his defensive versatility.  He'd be awesome on any contender.  Might make more sense to deal him at the deadline as teams will know where their picks are going to be with more certainty.  Conversely, dealing Jones may make more sense now as he's ready to start for any team.  Maybe Toronto makes the most sense considering FVV might leave in FA.  However, Orlando also a glut of PGs with Fultz, Suggs, Anthony, and now Black.  

Coulibaly sounds good from an athletic perspective and the fact that he can be a great defender.  But taking someone in the top 10 and trading up a pick to get the guy, I would hope that his offensive skills would be a little bit more potent.  I'm aware that he's 18, coming into his own, etc.  But whenever I hear someone that gets drafted needs to improve their shooting, IMO, that's just not encouraging.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, have no issue trading at least one of our PGs (we need to) for the best deal out there.  Wright probably fetches the most honestly considering his low salary and his defensive versatility.  He'd be awesome on any contender.  Might make more sense to deal him at the deadline as teams will know where their picks are going to be with more certainty.  Conversely, dealing Jones may make more sense now as he's ready to start for any team.  Maybe Toronto makes the most sense considering FVV might leave in FA.  However, Orlando also a glut of PGs with Fultz, Suggs, Anthony, and now Black.  

For a contender, Jones holds more value than any of the Magic guys they trade. He has the rep of being the best backup PG in the league and he is a very efficient player.

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Glad they swung on upside, but skinny, low-skill Internationals have very low hit rates.  The floor is super low on these kinds of players, and they often struggle to adjust to the culture of the US and NBA.  For every Pascal Siakam there are 50 Jan Veselys and Sekou Doumbouyas.  I'm not going to expect much, but hope for the best.

What I don't get is trading for Poole.  Why add that kind of long term salary to a team that is trying to tank?  Especially if the point of taking on bad long term money is to add near term draft capital that can help short cut a rebuild, which didn't happen.  You can find gunners way cheaper to command your tank.  They must actually like him.  Or at worst, they view him as a distressed asset capable of resuscitation playing a lead role on an empty team.  They could be right about that, we did that with guys like Porzingis and Bertans (only without following through and actually trading them when the iron was hot).

My guess is they're thinking they can inflate Poole's numbers playing a lead-ish type role for a bad team and then flip him mid season for more/better assets. I don't mind the strategy. 

1 hour ago, method man said:

What makes you think they are going to pull off 30 wins? There is no one on this team, as it stands, who has been a consistent NBA starter outside of old man Gallo. I could’ve seen 30 wins if they kept CP3 and Porzingis but doubt it happens now

If this team even reaches 25 wins WUJ should get a statue erected in his honor.

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Coulibaly sounds good from an athletic perspective and the fact that he can be a great defender.  But taking someone in the top 10 and trading up a pick to get the guy, I would hope that his offensive skills would be a little bit more potent.  I'm aware that he's 18, coming into his own, etc.  But whenever I hear someone that gets drafted needs to improve their shooting, IMO, that's just not encouraging.

Exact same way I felt about Deni, his free throw percentage before he got here was atrocious, that's not easy to fix if you having that kinda trouble with those.

• Like 1

I turned it off after the 1st round but a bunch of places haven't updated their draft board with trades, etc.  Do we have Trayce Jackson-Davis or does Golden State?  I was hoping us, I saw him play a few times in college and he's a good get that late in the draft.

7 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I turned it off after the 1st round but a bunch of places haven't updated their draft board with trades, etc.  Do we have Trayce Jackson-Davis or does Golden State?  I was hoping us, I saw him play a few times in college and he's a good get that late in the draft.

Golden St.

We ended up getting Patrick Baldwin from them.

We actually had less picks last night than we were scheduled to have prior to the Beal and Prozingis trades.

I’m not sure what to make of Bilal. I keep reading that he hit a massive growth spurt, so he’s a 6’8 player with “guard skills.”  Well “guard skills” on my planet mean dribble pass and shoot.  When I keep reading though and also he’s described as a slasher that needs to work on his dribbling, passing, and shooting.  Even see some reports saying “baby Giannis” which seems both absurd and the opposite of “guard skills”.  

so what the hell does he do well other than look the part?  Going to have to watch this guy play because his highlight are all the standard dunks and layups and the scouting reports are inconsistent.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Talks are early but article says Leonsis isn't happy about the rent for the current location. Caps and Wiz in Arlington would be intriguing. Isn't the new FBI headquarters there too 

Rent? I was unaware of the city owning the Arena. Does his business not own the building?

Just now, ixcuincle said:

They own it but the terms of the deal stink according to the article 

What deal? Sorry I can't read the article.

If they own it then it's their responsibility. 

Like if I rented my house I would expect my landlord to fix the building. But I'm a homeowner so the responsibility falls to me. 

Sounds like a bunch of bull**** an onwer might say to get a cities taxpayers to foot the bill. Maybe he should reach out to his new middle east partners if he needs money. 

Edited by CobraCommander

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

They own it but the terms of the deal stink according to the article 

I was confused as well. I remember that it was a big deal that Abe Pollin built it with his own money (or at least a substantial percentage) instead of trying to stick the city with the bill.

I would have thought that conferred full ownership.

Ted has been complaining about Cap One Arena setup since Polin died.

The idea that here we are all these years later he still doesn't have some type future resolution and threatening to run to VA is pathetic.

He jus comes across as broke from a sports team standpoint, otherwise he been own the Nationals by now and we wouldn't here **** about Qatar.

Edited by Renegade7

10 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

What deal? Sorry I can't read the article.

If they own it then it's their responsibility. 

Like if I rented my house I would expect my landlord to fix the building. But I'm a homeowner so the responsibility falls to me. 

Sounds like a bunch of bull**** an onwer might say to get a cities taxpayers to foot the bill. Maybe he should reach out to his new middle east partners if he needs money. 

MSE owns the building. They are paying down a mortgage.

The city leases out the land that it’s on. So it’s not exactly like a homeowner who owns the land and improvements.

• Like 1

@abdcskins

No one has a crystal ball, as much as they wish or would like to pretend.  Go look through 2017 and 2018 NBA Draft grades. 

Jaysun Taytum after Lonzo Ball and Fultz?  Donovon Mitchell was selected at the 13.  "Upside", "potential".... 

Congratulations draftee... you made it to the next level.  Can you physically compete with all the UDFAs this year plus the hundreds of other kids who were in your shoes the past 3 years who haven't stuck on an NBA roster yet?  Can you not suffer an unlucky injury?  Are you mentally and emotionally ready for the NBA grind? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

MSE owns the building. They are paying down a mortgage.

The city leases out the land that it’s on. So it’s not exactly like a homeowner who owns the land and improvements.

Well, as a DC taxpayer I will say Ted can pound sand as far as improvements to the faciltiy he owns. Unless he wants to foot the bill for having my house painted. Then we can talk.

• Like 1