Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Bad sign when the best players are visibly frustrated and clearly have no idea what they have to do. That means zero leadership. No one telling them 'Trust me, keep grinding, it will happen'. 

I would be surprised if Wall or Beal dont ask for a trade at some point. They know they wont win here. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Bad sign when the best players are visibly frustrated and clearly have no idea what they have to do. That means zero leadership. No one telling them 'Trust me, keep grinding, it will happen'

I would be surprised if Wall or Beal dont ask for a trade at some point. They know they wont win here. 

Or if they are being told, they clearly lack the belief in the messenger 

I'm not really moved by any of this because I didnt really expect much to begin with.  I was on record saying this probably wasn't a 50-win team.  

That said, they're even worse and more dysfunctional than I thought.  Didnt necessarily think they were gonna be a sub .500 team either.  We'll see where they finish, it's still October.  If they wind up 44-38, I wont be shocked by that either.

They have stretches of bad basketball literally every year, where they'll be 3-9 over a period, or drop 5 straight or something. 

In situations like this, I'm in the camp of wanting it to bottom out.  Like, they need to go 30-52 or something.  Just be awful all the way through.  Salvaging a mediocre season would be the worst. Just good enough to be out of the lottery, not good enough to be threat.

Get rid of Ernie, get rid of Brooks, blow the thing up at the deadline, and start over.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm not really moved by any of this because I didnt really expect much to begin with.  I was on record saying this probably wasn't a 50-win team.  

That said, they're even worse and more dysfunctional than I thought.  Didnt necessarily think they were gonna be a sub .500 team either.  We'll see where they finish, it's still October.  If they wind up 44-38, I wont be shocked by that either.

They have stretches of bad basketball literally every year, where they'll be 3-9 over a period, or drop 5 straight or something. 

In situations like this, I'm in the camp of wanting it to bottom out.  Like, they need to go 30-52 or something.  Just be awful all the way through.  Salvaging a mediocre season would be the worst. Just good enough to be out of the lottery, not good enough to be threat.

Get rid of Ernie, get rid of Brooks, blow the thing up at the deadline, and start over.

get zion B)

I am all in for the tank. Just give up on this year. Then fire Scott and fire Ernie. This team has repeatedly made the playoffs and flamed out. If they do terribly, there won't be job security for Ernie. He'll be gone, Wizards can get some real people in the FO and draft Zion Willimson too. Just give up on this year. It is the best solution to get talent on this team. 

Edited by ixcuincle

They looks out coached and undisciplined, not out talented right now.  Two opposing coaches in a row talking about chemistry over talent, those WERE direct shots at us, no doubt in my mind.  Only spot truly devoid talent is center, that won't be case with healthy Howard.  They are getting out coached so bad it might not matter, that my real concern.

• Like 1

Oh my... ? I know they wanted to get id of Gortat and if they can ever get Howard on the court it'll make a difference, but w/o that pick and roll they seem entirely dysfunctional on that end of the court.. But worst in the league is hard to swallow, even w/o Dwight.. Too much money spent for this poor of a product.

• Like 1

The good thing is the Rockets are so bad right now that no one is noticing the Wiz. 

Blow it up and start again. Wall the the Suns for their first round pick, Beal to the Celtics for their highest pick in this years draft. Take back garbage salaries, end up with 3 top-10 picks this season and commence rebuild. By the time the Wiz are good, the Warriors won't be and the C's will have had to start paying guys big money which will diminish their depth. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

he's been here 15 years, with the only constant being a distinct lack of player accountability. My biggest issue with Grunfeld is that he shows absolutely no foresight. Part of the job of a GM is to able to move with the NBA. Ernie stared at the NBA moving to positionless basketball and bigs who are expected to stretch the floor and gave 64mil to Mahinmi while keepin Gortat on the roster for another 20mil. He has 3 max contracts and trades draft picks which could be used for cheap depth purposes. instead he signs trash like Nicholson, Frazier, Meeks, & Jason Smith, and inexplicably gave the last 2 player options. He had a prime talent in John Wall fall into his lap and wasted his formative years running Wittman's old ass offense and now has transitioned to an individual who was probably only hired on the prayer that it enticed KD (PS it didn't)

I love you Chachie, but this is where we part ways. Grunfeld trash and this will be his final stop in the NBA.

All very astute analyses. No argument from me on any of that.

8 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Wall is always angry, that has to get old as a team mate.

I'm sure it does. It's hard to blame him though. The squad sucks and he wants to win. 

Like.i would curse out Morris ever day if he wasnt a whole person taller than me. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Like.i would curse out Morris ever day if he wasnt a whole person taller than me. 

That guy's a knucklehead. Opponents have figured out that he's mentally weak. Just talk some trash to him and he'll get a tech, maybe ejected. His act is old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I watched maybe 20 mins last night .... thats some bad basketball. Without the high pick and roll like years past ... I dont see many set plays actually being successfully executed. 

Wall is always angry, that has to get old as a team mate.

I'd rather him angry then shrugging.

• Like 1

Wall and Beal clearly care.  But they're pressing and ultimately impotent.  This roster isn't working.  This system isn't working.  This staff and FO aren't working.  Our problems are cultural, chemical, and systemic.  The players are utterly lost out there on the court.  And the team has no identity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wall and Beal clearly care.  But they're pressing and ultimately impotent.  This roster isn't working.  This system isn't working.  This staff and FO aren't working.  Our problems are cultural, chemical, and systemic.  The players are utterly lost out there on the court.  And the team has no identity.

This kills me more then anything with this team.  As a fan, I ask that you give a damn first.  This is clearly a case of working harder failing and needing to work smarter.  I learned that lesson in my early 20s and I was washing dishes for a living, this is supposed to be a Professional basketball franchise, but I can't tell.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

The wizards will improve.  They’re no where near as bad as they look now.  What we’re seeing is the culture and coaching working through some of it’s weaknesses.  This culture has never demanded players show up in great shape and ready to play, so there’s a good chance they’re playing their way into game shape.  Again.  

Brooks famously doesn’t coach player movement more than absolutely necessary, and this seems to extend to both sides of the floor.  He’s all about guys being free to do whatever they want.  You can see that freedom philosophy with the useless amount of switching and disarray on defense.  I’ve read his practices are soft as well.  Combine these things and you have guys literally trying to work out how they want to play defense as a team, during games.

Think of these early games as extended training camp... and further proof of organizational incompetence.

• Haha 1