Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wash Post: Injuries, arrests after massive 70-person Metro brawl

heyholetsgogrant

Injuries, arrests after massive 70-person Metro brawl

By Martin Weil

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, August 7, 2010; 12:46 AM

At least four people were injured and three arrested late Friday night after a brawl in the Metro system involving as many as 70 people, a Metro spokeswoman said.

The brawl apparently began about 11 p.m. at the Gallery Place station and then continued in the L'Enfant Plaze station, according to Metro spokeswoman Cathy Asato.

Transit police were called to Gallery Place in Northwest Washington where a disorderly group was reported, she said. Then police were sent to the L'Enfant Plaza station two stops away in Southwest, where a fight was reported on the platform for Green and Yellow Line trains.

She said two persons under 18 were arrested along with one adult. Of the injured, she said two were juveniles and two were adults. One of the adults was reported early Saturday to be in serious condition. At one point, a spokesman for the D.C. fire and emergency services department said as many as seven people were being examined for possible injury.

It was not immediately known what prompted the fighting.

A preliminary account indicated that there was a possible injury at the Anacostia Metro station about the same time. Officials said they were trying to determine whether that incident was connected to the brawl.

Writer: Martin Weil

Source: Wash Post

Link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/07/AR2010080700075.html?nav=hcmodule

They really need to increase the security at major stations like L'Enfant and Gallery Place. There is absolutely no excuse for **** like this to go down INSIDE a damn station.

I wish there was a way to ban people under 18 after 11pm, but I don't think there is a realistic way to put that in place :)

Last week I saw an old crazy dude on the metro threaten a bunch of teenagers with a hatchet. He might have been homeless or something as he had a bunch of bags full of stuff with him...Probably like 3-4 full bags. So he stands up over these teenagers who are sitting down and from the bag slung over his shoulder pulls out a hatchet. The handle was probably a foot and a half long, the blade was pretty sizeable. If you saw the Mel Gibson move "The Patriot" it looked like the one he used to kill all those British Soldiers in that one scene.

Crazy stuff. Every time I take the metro lately I'm reminded as to why I hate it so much. Stuff like people brandishing hatchets, now 70 people brawling...stopping between stations for no reason and stopping for minutes at a time. Getting back to the Vienna station at 2:30 AM, the car just stopped between Dunn Loring and Vienna for a few minutes...WTF? I might understand during a busy time of day, but in the middle of the night when there's no one else around?

And they're raising the rates? I'm not sure how the DC Metro system ranks against other subway systems from different cities but it seems like nothing but bad stuff is happening lately and it seems like more people are complaining.

LOL Monte

So glad I only use the Metro to go to Capitals games , which is like 5x a year max...I think I would be a worry wort riding that thing every day between the increase of accidents lately, and the the violence that's starting to happen on the trains.

Not sure what happened to Metro, up until the bad accident recently, there had not been all that many in Metros past

Crazy stuff. Every time I take the metro lately I'm reminded as to why I hate it so much. Stuff like people brandishing hatchets, now 70 people brawling...

I've ridden Metro off and on since it was shiny and new and I've never seen anything even close to either of those incidents.

Metro is definitely showing signs of age and underfunding in the last couple years, but it's been a pretty damn good public transit system over time - clean, safe, and reliable. But there's no denying they are at a crossroads now, with an infrastructure in need of renovation and a recent history of safety failures.

Archived