Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Police Officer Punches Woman On Tape in Jaywalking Incident

heyholetsgogrant

See it's people like you that kill me. You are too young to understand. Yes I interject race into this situation. But I merly asked what would happen if a black officer put his fist througha 17 year old white girl? The real problem is you never see a black officer put his fist through a white girl. This country has a history with race. It's still coming to term with the ideal of equality. we are not there yet. Deal with it. And if you really want me to interject race into I will. I just asked a question. What is getting old is you hippie people that feel the battle is won, when there is a war going on. So you can play the side lines and act as though race had nothing to do with this situation. That is fine. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Guess what, people are people and in the end, there will always be people who made a big deal out of differences. This is not 1950. Yes we still have race issues but we have come so far since the Civil Rights movement that you'd think we'd at least TRY to not put race into everything. The moment you ask the hypothetical question of a reverse scenario, then it's "here we f-ing go all over again". Now you can stop talking down to him acting like YOU were one of the people who actually went through the pre Civil Rights Act prejudice in this nation. I'm sure you've been through alot in your life to make you have this attitude and I'm certainly going to give you the BOTD since I'm only 19 and was lucky enough to grow up in an environment where we hung out with people regardless of our skin color or social status but you don't know him or his situation so the name-calling is kind of childish.

The majority of this nation is OK with people of different races in general, yes even those who can actually remember when people drank at different fountains. There will always be boneheads of all races who try to slow the progression down but that's never going to change.

Do you think that you're some genius who is the only person that knows we haven't reached 100% racial harmony in this nation?

I'm a criminal justice major who has been around cops my entire life...I see how life is....if you would take off your rose colored glassed, youd see that they arent picking on you, its just your 'me against the world' attitude thinking that the cops have it in for you. Stop looking at the races and see what caused the events to happen. Who thinks its ok to place your hands on a cop in a forceful manner? I wouldnt give a **** if it were a white chick placing her hands on a black cop and he punched her, the cop is in the right.

Sure, I think the punch might have been a little excessive, but that's playing armchair quarterback...I dont know what I would have done in that situation, it was clearly getting out of control.

oh, and thanks for playing the age card in your response...kinda hypocritical.

sir, I find that highly offensive...I hate hippies. :mad:

I graduated as a Criminal Justice Major. JLA (justice and law administration). It was crap degree. I could never endorse the system, when it sets so many up to fail, just for a buck....you will learn. Don't place faith in the system, it will let you down. So age is relative. Through experience you gain knowledge,and knowlegde is power. Race and wealth, all have a place in this situation.

Guess what, people are people and in the end, there will always be people who made a big deal out of differences. This is not 1950. Yes we still have race issues but we have come so far since the Civil Rights movement that you'd think we'd at least TRY to not put race into everything. The moment you ask the hypothetical question of a reverse scenario, then it's "here we f-ing go all over again". Now you can stop talking down to him acting like YOU were one of the people who actually went through the pre Civil Rights Act prejudice in this nation. I'm sure you've been through alot in your life to make you have this attitude and I'm certainly going to give you the BOTD since I'm only 19 and was lucky enough to grow up in an environment where we hung out with people regardless of our skin color or social status but you don't know him or his situation so the name-calling is kind of childish.

The majority of this nation is OK with people of different races in general, yes even those who can actually remember when people drank at different fountains. There will always be boneheads of all races who try to slow the progression down but that's never going to change.

Do you think that you're some genius who is the only person that knows we haven't reached 100% racial harmony in this nation?

See I wasn't the genius that felt race had nothing to do with this situation.

I am not sure if I read this right, but do you think if a white police officer punched a young white girl like people wouldn;t be outraged?

Well, I know what I think, but it's apparently not a popular opinion around here (and some even say it makes me a racist).

With that said, I wonder if all of our initial reactions would have been the same if we saw a clip of, say, a black police officer punch a 17 year old white girl straight in the face like that? Makes you wonder, a little. :whoknows:

I actually agree with you, in general.

But I'm not particularly surprised that many black people are going to view that tape differently than white people are. It is perfectly understandable. It is the "Epic Beard Man" phenomenon. We naturally identify with the people like ourselves.

And while I like to think that I myself would be completely impartial on the question and would view the situation exactly the same if it was a black cop punching a 17 year old white girl, I know, deep down, that it isn't really true. My initial reaction would have much more outrage toward the cop, and I would only chill out after I had a bit of time to think about it. I think most of us are like that.

So at least one of us understands what you are getting at. :whoknows:

I agree, it is a ****ty major and was my last choice, but I took what I could get so I can graduate. :pfft:

Don't do it......

And if you do, go right to law school. Suck it up, take the LSAT's. That is all Law Schools care about. " I know I know, you been in school for 16 years, not another 4 years", do it. You will never get another chance like you do after graduation. EIther that or you can be a polcie officer for 15 years until you become sergant. You seems like a guy that is about reaching the apex. So be on top, or you will alwasy be on the bottom. JLA was terrible.

Don't do it......

And if you do, go right to law school. Suck it up, take the LSAT's. That is all Law Schools care about. " I know I know, you been in school for 16 years, not another 4 years", do it. You will never get another chance like you do after graduation. EIther that or you can be a polcie officer for 15 years until you become sergant. You seems like a guy that is about reaching the apex. So be on top, or you will alwasy be on the bottom. JLA was terrible.

I've already got a career, I'm just interning right now...Criminal Justice is just for that piece of paper needed to get in the door, I'm more excited about my minor - Middle East Studies, which is kinda sad :ols:

I'm working with the government and military in the consulting field...I'll probably get my MBA or a Masters in International Business after I work a couple years to get work experience so my LSAT grade wont matter as much...and work will pay for it all too along with my scholarship.

:cheers:

So you can play the side lines and act as though race had nothing to do with this situation. That is fine. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Don't you see, you're the one making it worse. This CLEARLY wasn't racist, and you are in here going on and on about white girl this and white girl that. Dude, save it for something that's at least questionable! I'm dead serious here. You are not doing yourself any favors. You sound like a caricature or a Saturday night live skit. We're supposed to be colorblind, but how is that even going to start if you go protesting every dumb thing that happens? It makes everyone want you to shut the hell up and not take you seriously for anything.

The challenge in discussion like this is seeking the balance, through trial and error in communicating, between over-exaggeration of sensitive/controversial elements and ignoring them.

Seemingly conflicting "truths" can coexist and not be contradictory. They just reflect the complexity of the matter.

In such circumstances, there are also racial overtones in reactions to such events that are very material to "reality" even if they don't exist to the same degree in the event itself--which technically is a matter still undecided.

So even as some overstate race, and some understate it, the topic of race is worth review even when trying one's patience. I find Predicto's comments reasonable, as I do those wanting to not inaccurately (IMV) over-simplify this into primarily a race mater.

For now, I'd "side" with the cop in what is a bad situation. There are relevant dynamics known well to locals, like what a long-time and troublesome issue (with more impact in more ways than you may imagine) jaywalking is in Seattle, Olympia, and Tacoma regionally, as well as problematic "youth-group-activity" issues (not gangs per se, and not at all ethnically limited in type).

I will aso add small but pertinent aspect many may not think about, that in such situations where a cop is dealing with what may be more than one potential adversary in some "wrestling match", even with smaller women or adolescents, they are often under great concern for the security of their firearm and other equipment. They often regard using a decisive and overpowering level of force out of that concern, if force is needed at all short of pulling the pistol.

So if a cop thinks there may be people (with friends) laying hands on him/her in resistance, that cop may be thinking of laying that person out (or macing/tasing them them) pronto to avoid even the possibility of them grabbing at that pistol or any other equipment they are liable for protecting.

This has been an issue in Seattle in particular. For the record, the SPD has hardly been free of scrutiny many genuinely questionable actions over the last few years, so that's fair to mention, too.

See it's people like you that kill me. You are too young to understand. Yes I interject race into this situation. But I merly asked what would happen if a black officer put his fist througha 17 year old white girl? The real problem is you never see a black officer put his fist through a white girl. This country has a history with race. It's still coming to term with the ideal of equality. we are not there yet. Deal with it. And if you really want me to interject race into I will. I just asked a question. What is getting old is you hippie people that feel the battle is won, when there is a war going on. So you can play the side lines and act as though race had nothing to do with this situation. That is fine. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

You are correct, historical context is important.

Unfortunately you have a clear history on this board of IMMEDIATELY assuming the worst possible racist scenario for EVERY situation that involves a black person. This sort of attitude is far more damaging to the cause you purport to champion than you realize.

Seems to me a trained police officer should be able to subdue a smaller woman putting up minimal resistence much easier than this. It should have never come to the point where he needed to punch either one.

It seems to me you have never had to control a person against their will. She refused to listen to him, she placed her hands on him. If he does not stop this it will continue, he has the right to take it to the next level. He is not taught to slap, he his taught to strike with force. After she didn't listen to the verbal orders shoud he have sent her an e-mail to get her to listen. The fact you are concerend with her size shows have never delt with a teenager who didn't want to be controlled. I sugguest you find one and try it for yourself. Then maybe you would understand why it takes more than one person to control a person.

Ok I just saw this video and that girl deserved to get punched and so did the other one. You don't just come running up on a cop and start pushing him and hitting him. Man or woman, you just can't do that to a cop. She is lucky she didn't get shot or tased. I hope the cop doesn't lose his job because he did nothing wrong. It was him against two out of control women. He did the best he could.

The use of the word ***** or any other closely related term in this thread is despicable. Highly doubt that term would be thrown around if the assailant was Caucasian. It shouldn't be thrown around at all honestly. She's a young women who made a dumb decision in this instance (and previous instances apparently). A b***h though? Give me a break ppl. Especially Sandman69. You actually seem thrilled to be calling her a *****. WTF is wrong with you man?
Thank you. It's funny tho b/c the "race card" sometimes needs to be pulled. Every time it's pulled, it's not always in vain. Sometimes it's legit. This is one of those case. You don't see a problem with everyone calling a 17 year old black girl a b***H? I'm pulling the card and waving it directly in your face then!!!!! lol
No one here would call a 17 year old girl ,regardless of race, a ***** in person. If you would, you're a dick lol and thanks for identifying yourself. And if you read my initial post, the "race card" as you all love to call it is actually thrown at members of this great board that I frequent often. Instead of calling it "race card" tho and tagging a long all of those negative connotations, let's call it "Race realization". IDK what utopia you all live in, but roll over & wake up out of that dream plzzzzz, for your sanity. This is America, the greatest country on the globe, and one that still has to deal with race as an issue. You cannot ignore it. While I don't consider anyone in this thread to be an ooozing racist, I find the overall accepted act of calling a 17 year old black girl a ***** over and over again uber discerning

Stop whining. It's getting tiring to read through.

By the way, is "*****" now a racist term? When did this occur? Any chick who acts like that and has an attitude like that, most definitely is one, no matter what her ethnicity. Since she's a minor, I'll compromise and call her "little *****."

I saw this on Reddit the other day...

Pretty much, besides doing a terrible job at making the arrest (a tazer would have been useful), the officer did nothing wrong. First of all, you don't put your hands on an officer while he's making an arrest. Secondly, you don't put you hands on an officer. Ever.

She could have gone for his gun. She deserves to get punched in the face.

Stop whining. It's getting tiring to read through.

By the way, is "*****" now a racist term? When did this occur? Any chick who acts like that and has an attitude like that, most definitely is one, no matter what her ethnicity. Since she's a minor, I'll compromise and call her "little *****."

:ols::ols:

Thank you for that. I agree

Hilarious! Unfortunately these people who see everything as racist will start to die off soon, the entertainment they bring is incomparable!

Come to think of it though...race may have played a role in this. 2 black girls attacking 1 white officer. Do you think they would have done all that if the officer was black? :ols:

great... now pure whiney baloney from BOTH sides of the peanut gallery.

congratulations to all

No intention in my comment to whine about or minimize racial tensions that still exist in this country. If you don't see there are media elements who jump at the chance to sensationalize this type of thing, you aren't looking closely. I'm not judging that it happens, just pointing out that it does, IMO.

Most of us will not be able look at any situation without it being colored by the reflective lens of our own race. And I don't think that is a bad thing. It's just another means of checks and balances that should help us prevent the horrible mistakes of the past and hopefully move on to greener pastures.

The danger in these types of cases is with those who are predisposed to assume that race is an issue and go beyond asking the question. It happens on both sides. Questions quickly turn to veiled or outright accusations without any supporting evidence.

If I look at this video and wonder how they would have responded if the officer was black, is that a racist thought? No more so then the the thoughts of others who wonder if the reactions of those supporting the officer would be different if the races were reversed. And I think both are reasonable questions.

Frankly, when I saw the video, it never dawned on me that it was black or white thing. It seems so obvious that the girls esclated the issue too violence, race shouldn't be an issue.

In the end, outside of personal activism, the best thing we can do is raise our young ones to operate outside the boundries of race, and show through our actions that race does not determine our behaviour.

Archived