Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Police Officer Punches Woman On Tape in Jaywalking Incident

heyholetsgogrant

No intention in my comment to whine about or minimize racial tensions that still exist in this country. If you don't see there are media elements who jump at the chance to sensationalize this type of thing, you aren't looking closely. I'm not judging that it happens, just pointing out that it does, IMO.

Most of us will not be able look at any situation without it being colored by the reflective lens of our own race. And I don't think that is a bad thing. It's just another means of checks and balances that should help us prevent the horrible mistakes of the past and hopefully move on to greener pastures.

The danger in these types of cases is with those who are predisposed to assume that race is an issue and go beyond asking the question. It happens on both sides. Questions quickly turn to veiled or outright accusations without any supporting evidence.

If I look at this video and wonder how they would have responded if the officer was black, is that a racist thought? No more so then the the thoughts of others who wonder if the reactions of those supporting the officer would be different if the races were reversed. And I think both are reasonable questions.

Frankly, when I saw the video, it never dawned on me that it was black or white thing. It seems so obvious that the girls esclated the issue too violence, race shouldn't be an issue.

In the end, outside of personal activism, the best thing we can do is raise our young ones to operate outside the boundries of race, and show through our actions that race does not determine our behaviour.

:applause:

That is a very good post and point!

That is also very interesting to say what the girls would have done if it was a black officer.

i don't know, i tend to be a very logical person, and ya'll bring up some excellent points, and i can't really say i disagree with them. but every time i look at the video my first thought is "man he didn't have to hit her." maybe it's pure emotion because a man is punchin a woman in the face, but that's all i can think. i don't think he should lose his job or anything, and i do think they shoulda just gave in before it got out of hand. it was funny when the girl looked back and said "you weak a** *****" lol. i was thinkin "he really is having a tough time with her."

I don't see what's wrong with it. Say he doesn't hit her, what does he do? Does he let her continue to accost him? Obviously not. So what are his other options? He could tackle her, but that would look worse than a punch imo. He could taser her because we know those are always safe right? Oh wait. What do ya'll expect cops to do in situations like this? If he tasers or pepper sprays he has a chance to inflict serious harm, AND he's on the front page of the whole police brutality debate. I very rarely side with police and have had some bad encounters with them, but this lady deserved everything she got. I would rather my policemen punch people in the face than go on a taser spree.

I care because you never see anything like that. We don't know why this situation exclated to the point it did. There are those on this board that feel he was justified, there are others that don't. I know from first hand experience how the justice can be just for others, an injust to some. I care because this is my country. I care because this is the greatest country on earth that wrestle with it's ideal, and find it's self with a moral compass that no other society has ever used. Until actions like these stop evoking ideas of racism, the battle is still raging. Until we all can have an idea that the law is on our side, and not in place to oppress some, and aid others the idea of race will always be a part of this. Like I said before the community should police itself. Honestly I will play the game. How many times have you seen a well dress white man with a suit get punched in the face? If you want I will take race out of it, and say poor people. There. Poor people get the shorty end of the stick. That might be more accurate....but wait a substantial amount black people are poor. I am not sure if I read this right, but do you think if a white police officer punched a young white girl like people wouldn;t be outraged?

Since you are the smartest person on this board and know all, what happened between the girl getting caught jaywalking and the beginning of the video where she is resisting the officer?

Now after the video starts and the second girl goes after the officer, what should he have done?

I ask because you seem to be a police officer since you know what is and is not excessive, and maybe you can give us some insight as to how racist your fellow police officers are, kthxbye!

Stop whining. It's getting tiring to read through.

By the way, is "*****" now a racist term? When did this occur? Any chick who acts like that and has an attitude like that, most definitely is one, no matter what her ethnicity. Since she's a minor, I'll compromise and call her "little *****."

:drooley:

No intention in my comment to whine about or minimize racial tensions that still exist in this country. If you don't see there are media elements who jump at the chance to sensationalize this type of thing, you aren't looking closely. I'm not judging that it happens, just pointing out that it does, IMO.

Most of us will not be able look at any situation without it being colored by the reflective lens of our own race. And I don't think that is a bad thing. It's just another means of checks and balances that should help us prevent the horrible mistakes of the past and hopefully move on to greener pastures.

The danger in these types of cases is with those who are predisposed to assume that race is an issue and go beyond asking the question. It happens on both sides. Questions quickly turn to veiled or outright accusations without any supporting evidence.

If I look at this video and wonder how they would have responded if the officer was black, is that a racist thought? No more so then the the thoughts of others who wonder if the reactions of those supporting the officer would be different if the races were reversed. And I think both are reasonable questions.

Frankly, when I saw the video, it never dawned on me that it was black or white thing. It seems so obvious that the girls esclated the issue too violence, race shouldn't be an issue.

In the end, outside of personal activism, the best thing we can do is raise our young ones to operate outside the boundries of race, and show through our actions that race does not determine our behaviour.

Good post. You are especially right about the media wanting to sensationalize things like this. If they see a violent story that also involves race, they're all over it. It plays on people's emotions and incites bickering and debate and all of that means more exposure to their product. Take a look at any local TV news program and analyze everything that they cover for a night's news. There will almost certainly be a majority of stories that play on some kind of human fear. "Why you should be worried about identity theft," "why gasoline could end up at $6 a gallon," "why terrorism could strike out here in your bum**** town," etc. etc.

I care because you never see anything like that. We don't know why this situation exclated to the point it did. There are those on this board that feel he was justified, there are others that don't. I know from first hand experience how the justice can be just for others, an injust to some. I care because this is my country. I care because this is the greatest country on earth that wrestle with it's ideal, and find it's self with a moral compass that no other society has ever used. Until actions like these stop evoking ideas of racism, the battle is still raging. Until we all can have an idea that the law is on our side, and not in place to oppress some, and aid others the idea of race will always be a part of this. Like I said before the community should police itself. Honestly I will play the game. How many times have you seen a well dress white man with a suit get punched in the face? If you want I will take race out of it, and say poor people. There. Poor people get the shorty end of the stick. That might be more accurate....but wait a substantial amount black people are poor. I am not sure if I read this right, but do you think if a white police officer punched a young white girl like people wouldn;t be outraged?

Those are all great reasons to care, and are reasons we should all care. But with your posting history I don't get a sense that you could look at any situation like this and ever side against the perceived black victim. You clearly seem to believe that there isn't enough outrage because they're black. I would be no more supportive of the girls if they were white. They acted stupidly. Period. They physically accosted him. I don't care how bad racial tensions are, they are still required to follow the law.

My experience as a middle aged white guy is that the greatest majority of us don't react, or fail to react, to situations based on race. It just isn't a factor to us. You might try, on occasion, to give us the benefit of the doubt, instead of jumping to conclusions. Your posts go beyond simply asking the questions.

"Honestly I will play the game. How many times have you seen a well dress white man with a suit get punched in the face?"

That doesn't make for sexy headlines, does it? That is the reality whether you like it or not. News is all about profitable headlines. It stopped being about actual news long ago. If you are basing you views of the racial state of America on the headlines you read, you have a sad view of things.

When I was younger, I was jumped and beat by 12 black guys. They did this simply because they wanted to beat up a white guy. I know this because one of my black friends overheard them planning to "find a white guy to beat" He subsequently testified in court against several of them under the veil of serious threats to him and his family.

Now I had two choices for how to let this affect my veiw on race. I could either let the attackers racist actions skew my outlook, or I could let the noble actions of my friend reinforce my view that it really isn't about skin color. It's about the quality of one's character, and that has to be measured on an individual basis in all cases. Only when we all start doing that, will we truly be able to put these tensions to rest.

Jaywalking? What is that? When you walk across the street but not in a crosswalk? I've never seen a cop get somebody for that. Dumbest law ever. Must not be to much to do in Seattle if you a cop

I have,, i remember a couple decades back that DC made it a point of emphasis to try and stop jaywalking and started issuing tickets. I remember once my friend got a $25 dollar ticket for jaywalking in Georgetown, and while the cop was writing his ticket I was howling with laughter, so much so that the officer threatened to give ME a citation for hindering his job or something. He made me go stand about 25 yards away while he finished writing my buddy up. :ols:

This cop probably cited this girl who then probably went all stupid about it, necessitating the arrest.

~Bang

Those are all great reasons to care, and are reasons we should all care. But with your posting history I don't get a sense that you could look at any situation like this and ever side against the perceived black victim. You clearly seem to believe that there isn't enough outrage because they're black. I would be no more supportive of the girls if they were white. They acted stupidly. Period. They physically accosted him. I don't care how bad racial tensions are, they are still required to follow the law.

My experience as a middle aged white guy is that the greatest majority of us don't react, or fail to react, to situations based on race. It just isn't a factor to us. You might try, on occasion, to give us the benefit of the doubt, instead of jumping to conclusions. Your posts go beyond simply asking the questions.

"Honestly I will play the game. How many times have you seen a well dress white man with a suit get punched in the face?"

That doesn't make for sexy headlines, does it? That is the reality whether you like it or not. News is all about profitable headlines. It stopped being about actual news long ago. If you are basing you views of the racial state of America on the headlines you read, you have a sad view of things.

When I was younger, I was jumped and beat by 12 black guys. They did this simply because they wanted to beat up a white guy. I know this because one of my black friends overheard them planning to "find a white guy to beat" He subsequently testified in court against several of them under the veil of serious threats to him and his family.

Now I had two choices for how to let this affect my veiw on race. I could either let the attackers racist actions skew my outlook, or I could let the noble actions of my friend reinforce my view that it really isn't about skin color. It's about the quality of one's character, and that has to be measured on an individual basis in all cases. Only when we all start doing that, will we truly be able to put these tensions to rest.

BOOM, and the man lays some knowledge on you

I have,, i remember a couple decades back that DC made it a point of emphasis to try and stop jaywalking and started issuing tickets. I remember once my friend got a $25 dollar ticket for jaywalking in Georgetown, and while the cop was writing his ticket I was howling with laughter, so much so that the officer threatened to give ME a citation for hindering his job or something. He made me go stand about 25 yards away while he finished writing my buddy up. :ols:

This cop probably cited this girl who then probably went all stupid about it, necessitating the arrest.

~Bang

Thats just crazy. Hindering his job by laughing :ols:. And you were laughing because your friend was getting a ticket for basically walking across the street. Did you think the ticket was necessary? I know it's enforced but it's just crazy to me that it is

Thats just crazy. Hindering his job by laughing :ols:. And you were laughing because your friend was getting a ticket for basically walking across the street. Did you think the ticket was necessary? I know it's enforced but it's just crazy to me that it is

It was rather funny, I must say. He told me I was hindering him in the execution of his duty, or something like that, and told me to go stand down the street to wait for my friend, or get a ticket myself. He wasn't really a jerk about it, and I wasn't about to hassle him over it.

I can see why it's an infraction,, city streets can be crowded, and people just straggling willy nilly can cause all sorts of problems, not to mention threatening their own safety.

I don't see it as a huge issue, but I can see why it should be discouraged.

If I'm a cop, it depends on the situation. Meaning the street would have to be quite busy and their jaywalking had to disrupt it..

Mostly i'd be inclined to issue a warning, maybe a smile and an explanation as to why they were getting this warning.

~Bang

It was rather funny, I must say. He told me I was hindering him in the execution of his duty, or something like that, and told me to go stand down the street to wait for my friend, or get a ticket myself. He wasn't really a jerk about it, and I wasn't about to hassle him over it.

I can see why it's an infraction,, city streets can be crowded, and people just straggling willy nilly can cause all sorts of problems, not to mention threatening their own safety.

I don't see it as a huge issue, but I can see why it should be discouraged.

If I'm a cop, it depends on the situation. Meaning the street would have to be quite busy and their jaywalking had to disrupt it..

Mostly i'd be inclined to issue a warning, maybe a smile and an explanation as to why they were getting this warning.

~Bang

I don't think that many officers are going around looking for jaywalkers, but if his commander told him to, than enuf said. In the end these girls may have gotten a warning, but we'll never know.

Can't believe other units didn't come to assist him quicker.

100% on the officers side in this story, should have used the tazer on her for good measure, that situation could've quickly spiraled out of control.

I am sick of people tryin g to take an acute situation and says it represent the problem I have stated numeorus times. This is not just about race, it's about class, and the way we treat people, and how we react to the way people are terated. We have three classes in America, a lower, middle and upper class. Historically the lower class has been on the short end of the stick when it comes to protocol. The crazy thing is the majority of Americans that are in the middle class are white. The conservative class, that seem to perpetuate everything is alright, and law is always just. That said, I ask you again how many times have you seen a white middle clas guy being punched in the face by a police officer. How many times have you seen a white middle class person beat down, or tasered, in a simple traffic situation. This was jay walking. This is jaywalking, it's a class E felony. Not even a misermeanor. And it came to the point a officer loads up his fist and punches a girl in the face. It comes to the point he yokes up a teenager, and punches her sister in the face. What should disturb middle class america, seems to afflict the lower class. This country has a problem with race. And it seems one class is respesented by one group of people.

Race is our Country's original sin.

Race is an issue in the situation. I ask how many times have you seen a middle class white person being accosted in such a manor? Why was it so important to restarin this girl for a simple offense. We use tax dollars to train officers to act in a manor that proctect our civil liberties. You have to use discretion, and we train them to do so. However we constantly see police at odds with the black community. I am going to let you guys in on a little secret. People in poor neighborhoods, are scared of the same things everyone else is. We are scared of the paroled child molester, the paroles murderer, ect. However they set up their half way houses in our neighborhood. However, the poor neighborhoods are at odds with law enforcement. Do you think it's just because?

I know that you can hate black people for what happened to you. You have that luxury. I am talking about something that effects all of us. Those guys were crabs. They could beat you up, but they couldn't really hurt you. They couldn't effect your way of life outside of what they did to you physically. All they could do was beat you up. You would heal, but your friend had to live there. Do you understand! Your friend had to spend 24 hours a day in a hostile situation, and in the end depend on a system that shows them as marginalized citizens. And I never said to hate white people. See this is the problem. People are getting defensive when I am trying to point out a discrepancy. Why is it that one group of peole never feel absolute dread for law enforcement, while others do? I am one voice on this forum. The problem with race has been stated by numerous people outside of Extremeskins, so it can't be a problem just because some one says it is.

Another thing....how many men would punch or choke a 17 year old girl?

Have we made progress yes. This is the first republic that gave citizenship to people scene as 3/4 a person without attrition. But the battle for equality is far from over. You may think it is. See what kills me is people feel that America has reached it's apex. They think that a few laws, and few initiatives means we won. We have a long way to go. We have a long way to go until people can be judge soley on the content of their character, and not the ideals their skin evokes.

First, in case anyone missed it, the girl in pink, the one originally detained, has been convicted of assaulting an officer (about a year ago or so). She and her friends all have criminal histories. (and the officer did not know that at the time he stopped to talk to them)

I really don't get the people who are saying, "Oh, well he shouldn't have punched her. It would have been better to taze her."

You all have actually seen videos of people being tazed, right? Especially the ones where someone does it "just to see how it feels" and they describe it afterwards? Yeah, I'll happily take the punch instead, thanks.

yeah- in the continuum of use of force, a punch is well below a taser- he could have pepper sprayed her, but not tased

So when did jaywalking become a criminal offense? It's an infraction; you get a ticket and go about your business. Why did it come to the point he had to restrain a 17 year old girl? If you watch the rest of the video, he yokes her up in a sleeper hold. He should retire and become a boxer the next great white hope.

it is an infraction, and typically only a warning. Its when you refuse to cooperate that results in the escalated situation.

Jaywalking? What is that? When you walk across the street but not in a crosswalk? I've never seen a cop get somebody for that. Dumbest law ever. Must not be to much to do in Seattle if you a cop

In regard to the jaywalking- I remember when this really became an issue in Seattle- and it wasn't totally led by the cops. There are safety issues, pedestrians who got hit by cars and homeless people who would walk right in the road to beg for money. yes its a low end infraction (not a crime, but like a speeding ticket)- and I believe its only $25- and I have friends in SPD who say they do mostly warnings as a safety thing. I think that had these girls just cooperated and listened to the cop talk to them about the dangers, they wouldnt have even gotten a ticket- who knows.

I want to see a black police officer put his fist through a 17 year old white girl. Why is it always a black person getting beat down by a white police officer? Hasn't this gotten old yet?

Why is it always a black man killing a white cop??

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010385617_webmansought29.html

article about 4 WHITE cops who were killed by a BLACK man just a few miles south of Seattle last year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33571716/

another article about a BLACK man who shot/killed a WHITE cop in Seattle on Halloween last year.

Just a couple of examples for you.

btw Boobimiles- I and every one of my fellow officers were quite happy to use force on someone who was resisting arrest- we didn't care if they were purple w/ green polka dots- you don't fight a cop, you don't shove a cop- if you do, expect to get punched, pepper sprayed or taken to the ground and you will be going to jail.

If people don't like that- then follow the law- and if for some reason an officer wants to speak with you, be polite and don't start actin a fool. color doesn't matter- obeying the law and being respectful are what matters.

The dumb thing (and ignorant thing) is your post. Had you read more of the thread, like just a few pages before you shot your wad, you'd have seen my comment that jaywalking has been a pretty serious issue affecting many things including public safety when it gets out of hand, which it has over recent years in several regional cities--Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia--it's almost faddish and a local form of "rebellion" or "attitude."

And Seattle cops have a lot to do, as do most cops in most cities.

Archived