Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Police Officer Punches Woman On Tape in Jaywalking Incident

heyholetsgogrant

He did nothing wrong imo. She was clearly resisting arrest. Other people were interfering.

Cry me a river. Next time do what you are told.

Exactly, and the way they were grabbing at him they're lucky he didn't start letting lead fly.

Hmmm ...

On the one hand there's this:

Jennifer Shaw, deputy director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, said in a written statement that Monday's incident wasn't an isolated one.

"The SPD has a long history of allowing jaywalking citations to escalate into use-of-force situations," Shaw said. "The pattern is very predictable: The officer sees a jaywalker, orders the person to come to him, gets angry when the jaywalker either doesn't respond or argues, and ends up either in a physical confrontation or an arrest for an obstruction charge or both."

Sounds like the SPD should try working on fixing protocols so that fewer people get punched in the face. Maybe having two officers per patrol so that it's easier to subdue one cranky kid might help? I'm no cop so I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

On the other hand:

The incident occurred about 3 p.m. Monday near Franklin High, where staff and the school district's central office had requested increased police monitoring because they were concerned about the number of students jaywalking.

According to police, Walsh, working in a patrol car, saw several people jaywalking on Martin Luther King Jr. Way South, just south of Rainier Avenue South, despite a nearby pedestrian overpass.

Walsh tried to stop a group of females when one woman, later identified as Levias, began walking away, according to an incident report.

Walsh told Levias she must identify herself so he could issue her a citation or she would face arrest for obstruction, the report said. Levias continued to walk away, prompting Walsh to grab her upper arm with his right hand, the report said.

At that point, Levias said something like "get the [expletive] off me," tensed her body and began to resist, the report said.

Sounds like jaywalking is actually a problem there and if the police report is correct I have very little sympathy for these kids. I do think the punch was pretty vicious and perhaps an unnecessary escalation, but I have trouble second-guessing a cop's response in the heat of the moment like that. Like I said, maybe the SPD should re-examine it's procedures so that they can minimize incidents like this in the future.

Overall though I don't think I'd rake this cop across the coals for this. I have very little sympathy for those who assault police officers.

The use of the word b***h or any other closely related term in this thread is despicable. Highly doubt that term would be thrown around if the assailant was Caucasian.

Guess what, I highly doubt this would have been made into such an issue if the assailants were Caucasian.

Really bringing race into this?

I was wondering when someone would pull the race card, congrats on being the first. Since you did, I'll add, I'll bet the black girls wouldn't have assaulted a black officer.

Thank you. It's funny tho b/c the "race card" sometimes needs to be pulled. Every time it's pulled, it's not always in vain. Sometimes it's legit. This is one of those case. You don't see a problem with everyone calling a 17 year old black girl a b***H? I'm pulling the card and waving it directly in your face then!!!!! lol

Thank you. It's funny tho b/c the "race card" sometimes needs to be pulled. Every time it's pulled, it's not always in vain. Sometimes it's legit. This is one of those case. You don't see a problem with everyone calling a 17 year old black girl a b***H? I'm pulling the card and waving it directly in your face then!!!!! lol

So what you just assume she gets that moniker because she's black? I don't care if she's white, black, blue, orange or yellow. Anyone who acts like that is risking being labeled as a dumb *****.

No one here would call a 17 year old girl ,regardless of race, a b***h in person. If you would, you're a dick lol and thanks for identifying yourself. And if you read my initial post, the "race card" as you all love to call it is actually thrown at members of this great board that I frequent often. Instead of calling it "race card" tho and tagging a long all of those negative connotations, let's call it "Race realization". IDK what utopia you all live in, but roll over & wake up out of that dream plzzzzz, for your sanity. This is America, the greatest country on the globe, and one that still has to deal with race as an issue. You cannot ignore it. While I don't consider anyone in this thread to be an ooozing racist, I find the overall accepted act of calling a 17 year old black girl a b***h over and over again uber discerning

pulling the race card too much causes people to roll their eyes and look the other way next time something happens...

In the abstract, I agree.

In reality, I'm not so sure.

I remember all of the worship that "Epic Beard Man" got all over the internet (and on this board) for taking down that drunk black guy on the bus. No one wanted to hear that Epic Beard Man is a psychotic weirdo bully who has been arrested a hundred times in San Francisco, or even that Epic Beard Man provoked the fight by making racial comments beforehand, or anything. He was a hero - he stood up for us against those urban thugs!

So, I can't help but think that our reactions to these incidents are colored by our preconceptions. Even if it pisses off Honorary_hog when I say so.

I remember that too.

Guess what, I highly doubt this would have been made into such an issue if the assailants were Caucasian.

Sorry, but anytime a cop hauls off and punches a 17 year old girl in the face and it gets caught on tape, it's going to be news.

Even if you later decide it was necessary.

So what you just assume she gets that moniker because she's black? I don't care if she's white, black, blue, orange or yellow. Anyone who acts like that is risking being labeled as a dumb *****.

I agree, both women made poor poor POOR decisions. It just irked me that one member actually seemed to enjoy calling her that appellation. We'll never know if this thread would look identical if the races were reversed (and that's a good thing) but in this case the assailant was black, the cop white, and that word was thrown around like a backyard baseball.

The use of the word ***** or any other closely related term in this thread is despicable. Highly doubt that term would be thrown around if the assailant was Caucasian. It shouldn't be thrown around at all honestly. She's a young women who made a dumb decision in this instance (and previous instances apparently). A ***** though? Give me a break ppl. Especially Sandman69. You actually seem thrilled to be calling her a *****. WTF is wrong with you man?

And in reference to the actual punch, I don't know police protocol but *to me* it seems over the top. There have been better alternatives thrown out in this thread alone. I'm sure his training supplied him with many more

:ols:

Do you have any idea how many white girls I've called *****es in my life? It's like calling a guy a dick. Hell, I've called friends things like "feisty *****" as a term of endearment.

No one here would call a 17 year old girl ,regardless of race, a ***** in person.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That was about twenty times funnier than the first quote. Did you somehow manage to skip high school? College, too?

EDIT: Apparently the plural form of "*****" isn't automatically censored for some strange reason. Just a heads-up to anyone who might use it.

The use of the word b***h or any other closely related term in this thread is despicable. Highly doubt that term would be thrown around if the assailant was Caucasian. It shouldn't be thrown around at all honestly. She's a young women who made a dumb decision in this instance (and previous instances apparently). A b***h though? Give me a break ppl. Especially Sandman69. You actually seem thrilled to be calling her a b***h. WTF is wrong with you man?

Total Crap! I would call any stupid woman that is resisting arrest and another that jumps into it to pull them apart a Stupid *****. Why does it have to be about color.

I'm sorry Hubbs. I guess I just can't relate personally. I've never uttered the word ***** in reference to a women. Have used it on many other occasions tho. And you're right, ***** was thrown around in HS & College a lot by guys around the same age. *HIGH SCHOOL & COLLEGE BY GUYS THE SAME AGE* These are grown men calling a 17 year old girl they don't know a *****. Would they do it in person, I doubt it. Disgusting. How young does she have to be to avoid that language anyway? Or is there no minimum age? Guess it's just those darn personal value and morals of mine. We all don't have the same. Carry on........

Exactly.

Black girl goes missing= no news coverage.

white girl goes missing= makes news for months and even years in some cases.

What missing black girl are you talking about? I heard about the three girls whose step mother killed two of them and put them in the freezer and they found the third wandering the streets. No one can know if someone is missing if their guardians do not let the police know. Is there another?

And which white girls are we talking about? Halloway? The international girl who went missing, and was only brought up consistently because of the jerk Vander Sloot, who was just caught again.

EDIT: There are thousands of children who get abducted, or have had someone try and abduct them, they don't always make the news. Are they not as important as the 17 y/o girl who got punched in the face?

What missing black girl are you talking about? I heard about the three girls whose step mother killed two of them and put them in the freezer and they found the third wandering the streets. No one can know if someone is missing if their guardians do not let the police know. Is there another?

And which white girls are we talking about? Halloway? The international girl who went missing, and was only brought up consistently because of the jerk Vander Sloot, who was just caught again.

There's been numerous black women that got abducted and killed that hasn't generated nearly the coverage that white women has recieved. You can argue it, but it has been proven. I've actually saw them discussing this very matter a couple years back on TV.

I'm sorry Hubbs. I guess I just can't relate personally. I've never uttered the word ***** in reference to a women. Have used it on many other occasions tho. And you're right, ***** was thrown around in HS & College a lot by guys around the same age. *HIGH SCHOOL & COLLEGE BY GUYS THE SAME AGE* These are grown men calling a 17 year old girl they don't know a *****. Would they do it in person, I doubt it. Disgusting. How young does she have to be to avoid that language anyway? Or is there no minimum age? Guess it's just those darn personal value and morals of mine. We all don't have the same. Carry on........

I don't use the word myself, whether or not I'm typing on a message board, but there's no way you can tell them they are grown men:silly: But seriously, it's a message board, for all you know they are 13 y/o and giggling as they type it, don't get too huffy about it:)

Exactly.

Black girl goes missing= no news coverage.

white girl goes missing= makes news for months and even years in some cases.

If a black, American, middle-class girl went to Aruba with her class on a graduation trip and disappeared and her family got involved with the media and law enforcement officials, I guarantee it would have been covered the same. Especially if reports of human trafficking and sex slavery emerged like they did in the Holloway case (which I assume you're talking about).

Here's a hint:

If she hadn't acted like a hoodlum in this situation she never would've been referred to as a *****. But she did.

If a black, American, middle-class girl went to Aruba with her class on a graduation trip and disappeared and her family got involved with the media and law enforcement officials, I guarantee it would have been covered the same. Especially if reports of human trafficking and sex slavery emerged like they did in the Holloway case (which I assume you're talking about).

I don't know all these cases individually, but I see enough TV to know the difference in news coverage. It's not just me blowing smoke, this issue was a topic a couple of years ago.

Archived