Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell improving, according to the stats. *UPDATED WITH FINAL STATS*

Destino

Teams have not been respecting our WR's or OL pretty much his entire tenure. Jason has been under a heavy attack pretty much every game. We are finally seeing creative playcalling. Sorry Gibbs fans, our play calls in era II were predictable and conservative.

Regarding Todd Slow as Molasses Collins, sure Collins looked magical finally getting to run the offense he studied for 14 years. But he fizzled and showed why he was a backup.

Jason posts decent stats year after year and seems to get little respect. Sure it isnt pretty, but the guy gets things done.

I have wanted it for two years but "someone" obviously doesn't agree with me. Because of that I believe Jason has been given more then he deserves for his play (total) and it's someone else's turn. Anyone else's.

Fair enough, but who exactly is this "someone"? The FO that wanted him so bad they tried to trade two 1st round picks for Cutler and wanted to move up and get Sanchez in the draft? If the "someone" is the coaches, then I doubt there is necessarily an agenda involved. Zorn benched Campbell in the middle of a game when he was playing like crap this year. I'm of a mind that the coaches see a lot more and know a lot more than any of us. If they decide that Campbell is the best QB we have, then they will get the benefit of the doubt. Not that coaches never make mistakes. Just that they obviously know more about it than us. Just my $.02

Pennington is made of glass. Ramsey never averaged more than 200 yards a game and never had a rating over 76.

JC is a better option than both.

If Shanahan is the coach, Ramsey is the better option over JC. Pennington has had injury issues, but has also won when healthy.

These are worst case scenarios I am throwing out. There will be players on the trading block for one reason or another by draft day. It is too early to tell, particularly if there is no CBA, there likely will be serious salary dumping taking place.

Pennington is made of glass. Ramsey never averaged more than 200 yards a game and never had a rating over 76.

JC is a better option than both.

In his seven starts in 2004, Patrick Ramsey had a completion percentage of 65.4%, a QB rating of 89.4, and went up against a pretty tough schedule including the Minnesota Vikings who had everything to play for, the 14-2 Eagles twice, and the 15-1 Steelers once. He had worse receivers and a worse line, and had less starts than Jason Campbell, and was in a new system.

In his seven starts in 2004, Patrick Ramsey had a completion percentage of 65.4%, a QB rating of 89.4, and went up against a pretty tough schedule including the Minnesota Vikings who had everything to play for, the 14-2 Eagles twice, and the 15-1 Steelers once. He had worse receivers and a worse line, and had less starts than Jason Campbell, and was in a new system.

He had 10 tds to 11 interceptions that year, and averaged 6.1 yards/completion. It's true his WRs were terrible, but his line was better.

Jason posts decent stats year after year and seems to get little respect. Sure it isnt pretty, but the guy gets things done.

Gets things done?

He's 4-9 now and finished 2008 2-6. Then consider the fact that the 2 years he did not start all the games we made the playoffs BOTH times because a different barely average QB each time got us there. So this isn't exactly a team of scrubs.

He has the WORST losing percentage of any Redskins QB in history with as many starts. No one has ever amassed a worse record in over 75 years of football for the Redskins. The fact that he amassed that epic failure of a losing percentage during a span in which the Redskins made the playoffs twice while he was on the team, makes it that much worse.

Beyond that, what are the quality of the wins we do get from him? 0-4 in 2007 against 10 win teams, 0-4 in 2008 against those teams. 0-1 thus far in 2009 (Eagles will likely hit 10, adding 2 more losses. Broncos might get to 10 which will add a game to the W column)

Whether or not losses are on him solely is irrelevant. He is a 5th year QB in a contract year playing the easiest schedule the Redskins have had in years, yet his win/loss percentage is as horrid as it has been.

Fact is replacing him gives the Skins a better chance of winning games because no one has ever been worse. Plus, he prefers playing elsewhere. The Redskins will claim they want him back and will tender him to build up trade value. If there is a new CBA 0% chance he is back.

This is all why I don't want the guy here anymore. He is just totally 100% unclutch. About as unclutch as any QB has ever been, maybe more.

When the game is on the line JC isn't going to win it unless he has a RB who can pound it in for him consistently. He puts up decent stats, has looked better lately (after the pressure is gone) but remember we scored 9 on the Rams, 6 on the Chiefs and 14 on the Lions, etc and he's thrown picks late in a few close games that we lost. Now we've scored 30+ in two straight games after the pressure of winning and going to the playoffs is off the teams shoulders.

Hopefully he gets another 2-3 chances in these last 3 games to win the game late but I expect to see what we've already seen in the other games. Not a come from behind win or a game where he extends the lead passing the ball in the 4th quarter. A 5th year QB in a contract year should be able to dominate a defense in the 4th quarter of a game to put it away, at least one time. If not then he'd make a great backup for somebody.

The thing that is surprising to me is that Jason has a strong combination of completion percentage and yards per pass.

Usually (at least with us this last decade) qb with a high completion percentage always achieved it in conjunction with a mediocre to poor yards per attempt. This season Jason has a strong and efficient percentage but also is well over 7 yards per attempt which is pretty good.

I think when the postmordum is done on this season, three guys will come out looking good. Andre Carter, Brian Orakpo and Jason Campbell.

He has been improving lately. It's undeniable he's been making better decisions. I'd love to see how he does the next three weeks. Two division rivals and a really good AFC team. I think he could see his stock rise exponentially if he performs well and comes out of those three with at least two wins. Especially if the wins are against the NFCE teams

Let's see how the off season ends up ok? We don't have a say anyway right?

I would however give Colt a real shot with Todd backing up and coaching along the way.

BTW Todd and Colt have a contract next year Jason doesn't.

I'm all for a real competition, no matter who we have signed. We ought to have the best man for the job under center.

MY only question is

Are we really sure that to leave Cambell go now, when he is showing some flashes of what he could be with an estabilshed system, good recivers and (we hope) a decent Oline?

Are we going to leave him to another team to strart again a new project without knowing the time we will need to develope a new starter or i would be much cleaver to sign him for one year, working on the other problems of this team (Oline, new running back) and work on those more solid basis?

Not disputing this, and I realize that what I'm about to say isn't necessarily all that relevant to the point you were trying to make, but I thought Ramsey would turn the corner after a solid showing in 2004. Unfortunetely he didn't play very well in the 2005 preseason and was outplayed handily by Brunell, who got the job early in the Chicago game. So you're right that he was solid in 2004, but he regressed in 2005.

That said, once Brunell got hurt in the NYG game, Ramsey should've been the starter, and if not then, CERTAINLY after Brunell's dreadful performance in the playoff win in TB.

Not disputing this, and I realize that what I'm about to say isn't necessarily all that relevant to the point you were trying to make, but I thought Ramsey would turn the corner after a solid showing in 2004. Unfortunetely he didn't play very well in the 2005 preseason and was outplayed handily by Brunell, who got the job early in the Chicago game. So you're right that he was solid in 2004, but he regressed in 2005.

That said, once Brunell got hurt in the NYG game, Ramsey should've been the starter, and if not then, CERTAINLY after Brunell's dreadful performance in the playoff win in TB.

Patrick Ramsey was a class act and I believe he was a better quarterback than Mark Brunell at that stage of their career (Brunell was definitely the smarter of the two, but Brunell was never known as a "smart" quarterback either). However, there's always been something about him that even Gibbs could not trust. It's too bad we couldn't have traded him when we had the chance (Miami was offering either Ogunleye, or their first round pick).

However, it's five years later, and that is a long time. Time to start fresh, I just hope we don't make the same mistake again. If Jason Campbell can hold up, we might very well be able to get something of value for him. I was thinking fourth rounder before this season, but now I'm almost optimistic that if he doesn't look like crap the last three games, we might fetch two second rounders or more since Mike Shanahan does seem to have a knack for ripping other teams off.

Had we traded Ramsey, we would have either had Adewale Ogunleye cementing Phillip Daniels' position... Or we could have drafted 20th in the 2004 NFL draft where no one knows who we could have taken (Notable Names: Vince Wilfork, Steven Jackson. Notable Busts: Kenechi Udeze, JP Losman).

Hope we don't pass up an opportunity like that again.

I have officially given up on him after the Saints game. It has nothing to do with Stats, Ability, or Personality. The kid just does not have the IT factor to win NFL games. He always makes the critical mistake at winning time, very similar to Suisham, and look what we did with him. Maybe he would have been good if he started from the jump it would have been different, but unfortunately the reality is he is a loveable loser.

He had a bad game, but he's still low on the list of redskins players who deserve criticism. The whole team was bad outside of Davis, Fletcher, & Mcintosh.

We already knew he could deliver the ball when things were perfect. So can several QB's. We also already know he's about roughly .00001% clutch. The team needs a culture change. Campbell is part of that losing culture. I think Bruce saw this team was much more than just one or two players away, which was what a few of us had already said this week. It lacks leadership, as well.

Archived