Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would it take for you to stop being a Redskins Fan?

bishtw

This has to be the easiest time in NFL history to root for a team that doesn't play locally. Why would so many people jump ship if the Skins played in LA, Portland, or anywhere else?

I mean thats the hardest part of it. They'd no longer represent us here in DC. And if we were to get another team then there'd be some real conflicts amongst who to root for. Then what if the new team starts looking good? I mean this is exactly what Baltimore went through and the old heads are still with the Colts (somewhat), but that city pretty much bleeds purple now (even more then the Orioles).

Changing the name would do it. Getting sued by them would probably do it, too.

You bring up an interesting point with the lawsuit thing. I was thinking about back in the day how my first real job was with the NFL. If I were to get a job with another team, then I'd have to say that I'd probably be rooting for that team to do well, if only for the sake of my financial future.

I think they are getting pretty close with a lot of fans. Maybe they forget that every one of these people they sue have friends, might post on the net, or run into Washington Post reporters.

It's pretty sad that the lawyers hired by Snyder take it to this extreme while still making a profit by selling the tickets a second time to the customers who actually get to go to the games they are going to court over.

I wonder how many people would buy those repossessed tickets knowing that someone else was still being forced to pay for them, some for years of games that they will never get to see?

I agree with this. Snyder has been testing my allegiance for this entire decade with his meddling ways, moving out of RFK, naming the new field Fedex, his horrible personnel moves ... even so, it been almost unthinkable to me that I could consider not being a fan. However, sometimes I am so disgusted with the ownership that I can hardly stand it. This whole thing about the Redskins forcing that lady into bankruptcy -- suing her for games all the way to 2017!!!! -- and then reselling them ... it really is disgusting. The whole franchise is almost unrespectable anymore.

I mean thats the hardest part of it. They'd no longer represent us here in DC. And if we were to get another team then there'd be some real conflicts amongst who to root for. Then what if the new team starts looking good? I mean this is exactly what Baltimore went through and the old heads are still with the Colts (somewhat), but that city pretty much bleeds purple now (even more then the Orioles).

That's true. Good points.

I wonder if a lot of Colt fans in Baltimore would have felt the same way if that happened now? I mean, with DTV and all the coverage, you could follow your team pretty seamlessly.

The biggest issue, as you mentioned, would be supporting another city.

If they cut Marko Mitchell I may have to think about it.

B/S

I have been a Skins fan for way too long to ever think about changing.

There was a point in time I would root for the houston oilers, but that was because of Earl Campbell. But I would never pick the Oilers over the Skins.

I have been with them thru the bad, and good, and to me thats what being a fan is all about !!!!!!

I'll stop caring so much about football if there is a lockout that wipes out the 2011 season. The NFL is a big greedy monster and if they have a lockout they deserve to take a hit like hockey did. No longer will I spend my free-time researching, reading, arguing and obsessing over every little nuance of the game year round. I'll watch the Redskins games and then that's it.

I don't think I could ever stop being a Skins fan. While hear this stories does piss me off, mostly for the lack of compassion the current ownership group is showing for its fans, but the ownership group isn't the Washington Redskins. Dan Snyder isn't the Washington Redskins. You don't think of Dan Snyder when remembering the Redskins games you watched while growing up. Dan Snyder has done alot to damage his image as the Owner of the Redskins, but the The Redskins Legacy can't be damaged by an owner because an owner is the heart of the Redskins. The Fans, Players and Coaches are the heart of the Redskins and always will be.

That's nice, kumbaya, and all but who hires coaches, who approves player acquisitions? Who hires the people that manage our ticket policy?

The fans are the heart of the Redskins? I miss the days of RFK stadium when we really had a home field advantage. When 55,000 were more intense than 92,000. Snyder pisses on you, tells you it's rain, and you go all Gene Kelly.

And you touched on my problem with the current state of the Redskins. When I choose to think of the Redskins, I think of the good ole times under Gibbs 1, and now it's looks the same, but intrinsically has nothing in common with the team I grew up with aside from the uniform. And I'm not just talking about the wins. I don't care of those as much as there's no direction. There's no heart. There's no hunger. Players seem okay with the mediocrity. It starts from the top.

The last time it felt old school was when we had to win 5 to make the playoffs under Gibbs. There was fire. There was urgency. Guess what? It needs to be like that every week.

I agree with this. Snyder has been testing my allegiance for this entire decade with his meddling ways, moving out of RFK, naming the new field Fedex, his horrible personnel moves ... even so, it been almost unthinkable to me that I could consider not being a fan. However, sometimes I am so disgusted with the ownership that I can hardly stand it. This whole thing about the Redskins forcing that lady into bankruptcy -- suing her for games all the way to 2017!!!! -- and then reselling them ... it really is disgusting. The whole franchise is almost unrespectable anymore.

:secret:....that was Jack Kent Cooke.

Archived