Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

First NFL game of the regular season tonight... Maternity photos on the beach with the wifey after work, and then some yummy Tijuana Flats prior to kick-off.

Yeaaaaaa Boyyyyyy!

Let's get some! Go Panthers!

By the way, anyone who gambles should probably put money on the Redskins this week... Odds should pay out a ton if they win, its like 75% on the Steel Dildos.

• Like 1

Did anyone/everyone watch the game last night? I had no rooting interest, was just happy to watch regular season football. Well, as Skins fans, we're well accustomed to bad calls and no-calls going against us. If I were a Panther fan, I would have lost my mind. In the first half Cam took at least three shots to the head and/or late hits, none of which drew flags. Crabby, whiney Cam is tough to watch, but it was all warranted. Was just wondering if anyone else noticed this. In a time where protecting the QB appears to be paramount, it seemed very odd and somewhat suspicious that so many blatant 15-yarders were missed. 

20 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Did anyone/everyone watch the game last night? I had no rooting interest, was just happy to watch regular season football. Well, as Skins fans, we're well accustomed to bad calls and no-calls going against us. If I were a Panther fan, I would have lost my mind. In the first half Cam took at least three shots to the head and/or late hits, none of which drew flags. Crabby, whiney Cam is tough to watch, but it was all warranted. Was just wondering if anyone else noticed this. In a time where protecting the QB appears to be paramount, it seemed very odd and somewhat suspicious that so many blatant 15-yarders were missed. 

Didn't watch the whole game, but so far, I could only see one hit that should've drawn the flag.

Haven't seen every play, though, but I've seen a lot of the hits on the morning sports programs.

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Didn't watch the whole game, but so far, I could only see one hit that should've drawn the flag.

Haven't seen every play, though, but I've seen a lot of the hits on the morning sports programs.

I watched the whole game. There were 2 flagrant hits that should have been called. One of those was flagged in that final drive (and Newton should have been taken out of the game at that point to be checked for concussion). There was another hit earlier in the game when Miller hit Cams helmet but Cam ducked into that and Miller was being blocked so I think that was a good no call but I've seen much less draw flags in similar circumstances. 

That hit that was not called though - that was as flagrant an example of launching and targeting the head of a QB as you could hope to see. How that was not called is beyond me. If someone did that to Brady they would get jail time never mind a 15 yard penalty. 

• Like 3

On September 8, 2016 at 4:06 PM, RandyHolt said:

Speaking of Vegas - first coach to get axed.... hmmm Cleveland Hue Jackson seems ripe at +3000.

It is nice to see Jay is not the most likely candidate this year. 

The Chargers coach. I can't even remember his name. That's usually a good sign he might be fired soon

6 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Made a five dollar bet with a Raiders fan that Cousins would throw more TD's this season than Carr.

How do you like my chances ?

60/40 you win but it's only $5 either way

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

You'd have to be nutty to put a single cent on Hue Jackson getting fired...even setting aside what you think about him as a coach, what you think about their QB depth chart, and anything else on the field related--they have been trading anything with a pulse for future draft picks ever since they brought in this newfangled FO group that is part analytics, part baseball guys, and part crossing-your-fingers-and-praying. I don't think anything they're doing is going to work long-term, but those guys hired Hue Jackson to do his best to win football games with the parts they leave him, while they do their best to accumulate draft picks and plan for the future. I can't imagine anything besides a major felony (and even then, their owner has committed at least one!) that could cause Hue Jackson to get fired after this season. Save your money.

• Like 1

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

http://www.nfl.com/33weeks

Yeah, I came across the above article and once I read that it changed my whole perception about what they're doing in Cleveland. Total fluff and you never know with that FO how fast things can go downhill, but it seems like they're all in on Hue over there. 

I'm not even remotely confident that what they're doing will bear fruit in the end, I'm just very confident that Hue won't be out after a single season because its clear that they have no short-term expectations of winning and he's a good coach for a young team. But I love that they're trying something new and it spices the league up. Judging by their draft this year though, I don't think they have a clue how to use whatever analytics they're all-in on...not that anyone in the NFL has much idea what to do with advanced metrics of any sort. But that's a different discussion. Stock-piling picks is a good start because they're bound to hit on a few, after the run of busts they've had in the last decade.

• Like 1

@ConnSKINS26yeah, it certainly is intriguing what they're doing over there. That's a great read, btw, fluff or not, I'd advise anyone to read it if they get the chance to. 

Like you, I doubt it'll work long term, as interesting as it seems on the surface. For me, the biggest thing that separates the great GMs from the poor ones is the ability to view the roster as a singular puzzle that requires very specific pieces to be completed. Basically, the way players fit and complement each other. 

It sounds simple, but finding players who complement and accentuate, not only the skill sets, but personalities of others is pretty complicated and seems like such a "feel" thing to me, I don't know how you calculate that or put it into equations. 

It's like, those analytics may have helped them bring in the likeliest "boom" potential candidates while avoiding the likeliest busts, but then how do those guys fit in schematically? How about in the locker room? Does this or that guy not really add anything to the team due to the abundance of his particular skill set already there? Etc... 

But maybe they have got that down to numbers too, lol. 

• Like 1

It's for entertainment purposes only.That one just stuck out to me.  So you are saying Hue should be an even longer shot to get fired, got it - thanks for the consult. I bet nothing. 

But what does it say if anything about us that the same experts had Jay most likely to get fired first last year; this despite RG3/Cousins as plan B, an elite LT, Almo DJ, Garcon Reed basically a solid foundation on O in a pansy division. Maybe bringing in far more experienced assistants vaulted him to most likely to be fired. 

What long shot to get fired, really isn't? I figure the experts would look at history of dysfunction, looking at Jay last year. 

i've heard enough of this nonsense...so i came here to vent.

something that is really bottling the mind today is how sooooooo many fans/"experts" are soooooooo quick to point out how nervous they are to expect Kirk Cousins to have even a remotely similar season to last year.  but that's not the worst of it.  what's so mind-numbing is that these exact same people are very insistent that Dak Prescott...with his enormous 1 NFL Preseson profile, is going to have a blowout rookie season.  

with one, you have 9, or 10 games worth of NFL starter film against regular season defenses.  with the other, you have what...6 quarters of Preseason vanilla fluff to base that off of?  

& yeah...i know most of this is born from a conflagration of Dalla$$ pandering, & recent Redskins team history...but seriously?  "i just don't know if we can expect Cousins to perform near the level he did last year." --- "i think Dak is going to light up NFL defenses this season, & have one rookie season for the records.  i think Dalla$$ could go to the Superbowl, or at least challenge in the NFC Championship game."

???????????

what the actual ****?

/rant

just had to get that off my chest.  i'm good.

Edited by nemocystem
  • Like 2