Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Where did you end up moving to?  I remember you mentioned it a while back, leaving NC that is.

So your saying Mark Bavaro is Uncle Rico and could throw a football over them mountains?

Ended up moving back to the Mid-Atlantic in the Harrisburg, PA area. He lives in Suburban Maryland so I'm only about a couple hours away from him. It's good seeing him more often now. 

And YES! Uncle Rico! That's who he reminds me of! Like a northeastern version of Uncle Rico. Except he actually made it. He's probably not going to the Hall of Fame but he had a pretty solid career none the less. I mean, how many people have done something like this to Ronnie Lott?

• Like 1

Speaking of rivalries: our sports rivalries in America are really tame compared to the ones in Europe.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Giants and the Eagles and I sure 'nough had the Cowboys - but I will never hate them as much as a Celtic FC fan hates Rangers and vice versa.

That some soul deep **** right there. The Redskins-Cowboys rivalry is based on a business deal gone bad, a song, and George Allen's perplexing fixation on Tom Landry. That Celtic-Rangers rivalry gets deep into the religious and political sectarian roots. That's some real deal hatred right there. That's the kind of hatred in sports I never want to understand. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Hate to say it, but Bavaro was a damn God. I had a Giants fan roommate back then...I threw a complete fit on the balcony over some catch he made against us...random memory from hell.

One of the few reasons I'm glad I missed the "glory years" is because that would mean I'd have to watch the Giants beat on us every year. That '86 squad was one of the best of the Gibbs I years and they lost to that Giants team three times - even got shut out in the NFC Championship game. Joe Gibbs would have five rings on his fingers were it not for taking the Raiders lightly a few years earlier and the Giants being so damn good in '86

• Like 1

My visit to RFK last week (i.e. driving around the stadium and waving "goodbye" before heading out of the city) reminded me of the few requests I have for the 'Skins as they approach the end of their lease at FedEx Field. Whatever happens afterward, I just want the stadium to be:

-In the City, and/or

-Metro Accessible 

And most importantly:

-Absolutely wretched

I mean, not unsafe or not handicap accessible or anything. No, not that. I'm just saying something that is utilitarian and no-frills. I mean, if the 'Skins are as popular as we're meant to believe they are, they should be able to pack the place with fans every week, even if it's an eye sore with bleacher seat sections. Maybe that'll keep the seats cheap and keep the wine and cheese crowd out, including all the transplants who show up to cheer for the opposing team. 

I know it won't happen. I'm sure it'll be a taxpayer funded, "state of the art" monstrosity that'll require folks to take out a loan to get pre-season tickets but maybe the road to a better "home field advantage" starts with a piece of **** stadium that gets the proles back in the seats and keeps the bougie crowd out. 

I mean, that and actually fielding a winning franchise. That one's pretty important to but we'll get to that...eventually. 

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, that was the cherry on top.  Darrell Green walking the trophy out to the Eagles.  Somewhere Dan sits in his mustard stained shirt, pounding Crown Royal muttering "Lurie's a lucky son of a ****."

That - and knowing Tom Brady will be crying himself to sleep tonight - are the only consolations I have tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, thebluefood said:

One of the few reasons I'm glad I missed the "glory years" is because that would mean I'd have to watch the Giants beat on us every year. That '86 squad was one of the best of the Gibbs I years and they lost to that Giants team three times - even got shut out in the NFC Championship game. Joe Gibbs would have five rings on his fingers were it not for taking the Raiders lightly a few years earlier and the Giants being so damn good in '86

We were the third best team in the league that year behind the Giants and Bears. After that road upset win against the Bears, I thought for sure we'd go to the Super Bowl. We lost a close road game to the Broncos that year late in the season but we could've beaten them on a neutral field. Our biggest drawback was Jay Schroeder was an interception machine that year. He threw a ton of them.

Edited by SlinginSammy HOF '63
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/30/2018 at 5:24 PM, skinsmarydu said:

Hate to say it, but Bavaro was a damn God. I had a Giants fan roommate back then...I threw a complete fit on the balcony over some catch he made against us...random memory from hell.

Yes he was...just an all around football player..and thorn in my side lol

I never understood the violence and destruction that takes place after winning a championship. I was going to start a new thread about this. But I come this far. Would anybody feel like posting Clips or stories of the destruction going on in Philly. I don't get it someone please help me understand... My favorite team just won the championship so I'm going to destroy stuff instead of hugging it out with felo fans I  will break windows and vandalize things... I don't get it, and as much as I would love to sit and say what a bunch of morons in Philly, it happens in every city

• Like 1

^^ I guess because most human beings are complete morons.  No other way to describe it.  I was in MD when we won our first SB.  I didn't smash my parents house up.  I was in Memphis for the 2nd SB.  I didn't trash the TV room at the dorm.  I was in Memphis for the 3rd one.  I didn't trash my apartment or the neighborhood I lived in.

I don't know man. 

I watched the 2002 Men's National Basketball Championship at RJ Bentley's in College Park.  As a 21 year old, I thought there was nothing better than to be amongst all the action for this event I'd waited many years to experience.  It was absolutely crazy.  Blockades on route 1, Cops and military everywhere, I'm pretty sure there was a tank present.  Nobody cared whatsoever and trampled the blockades to party in the street.  I saw a guy in an Indiana hat get brutally knocked out just for being there with an Indiana hat on.  While I felt bad for the guy, I couldn't help but think he was a total dumbass for coming to College Park to watch that game with the audacity to rep IU.  Next thing you know, stores in the shopping center across the street were getting their windows broken and robbed, stuff was getting set on fire, etc.  It was complete and utter mayhem. 

I'm much too old for that crap these days.  But I see it a lot like everything else, the majority of folks are there to party and celebrate, but it brings out the bad apples that can smell opportunities for potential anarchy, chaos and destruction from miles away.  Similar to what you see happen with protests that turn into riots. 

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1