Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

4 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Why is there no twitter thread.

They're trying to get away from the "mega thread" thing where all content and discussion is lost in a 900 page thread impenetrable to some. The mods would like all relevant tweets posted in the relevant thread, or even in new appropriate threads, instead. I think to spur more discussion across more numerous but also more tightly focused threads. 

• Like 3

I'm hoping to see the return of the Twitter thread soon. I think it is resourceful and sparked good debates.  I don't want to come across as whiny but there has always been a "mega thread" of some kind on these boards even before the Twitter thread and I don't recall any issues with those.  Also, if we are to be honest this message board is known to be more strictly regulated than others therefore we do not see many new threads open.  At one time people were beginning their threads with apologizing for starting a new thread. In this current format I believe we will see old threads staying on the front page for a while. Please bring back our hottest thread on this board for the last few years and we can spark new convo and threads from there!

• Like 2

I'm just speculating here, but Hap and SWFL probably lost a LOT of time curating tweets for that thread as well. Along with the no mega thread initiative, maybe they needed a break. 

I think people who loved the twitter thread (myself included) need to be cognizant of the fact that when begging for it back, they're also asking that those two guys just be thrown back into the sweatshop to do thankless, time consuming labor. There were a few other contributors, especially towards the end, but without a couple dedicated people pounding away at it, it's not going to be what everyone wants. And maybe that's just not realistic, and even a bit selfish, to expect?

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4

I get sick of hearing about schedule difficulty.  The Skins have the same number of games against first place teams, since they won't be playing the NFC East champs twice.  And as for no wins against winning teams last year, they only played against three winning teams and were the reason a few others fell below that

Well I'm going to leave the complaining about the Twitter thread closure alone and I do want to give a shoutout to Hap and SWFL for all that they did with that. I even miss the space updates because I have been into that myself since childhood.

I'm ready for football tomorrow night! Curious to see how the Panthers look without Josh Norman but with Kelvin Benjamin back and I haven't seen this kid Trevor Semian play yet(heard he was good in preseason), so this should be an interesting game.

• Like 3

I think Twitter is a good place to go for your twitter needs. I largely ignored the thread as the twitter accounts I cared about, I already perused.... wait for it. At twitter. That all said, it is easy to ignore a single thread, but think its existence limits deeper discussions, as the next Junior Galette tweet took precedent. I wish the thread would have spawned new threads but it didn't seem to.

A suggestion for Bubba's News Forum, post all news for a given day in a single thread. Monday's Skins Sports section

Thanks to those that provide the endless content here to get us our obviously needed fix. 

• Like 2

On September 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM, STBonecrusher21 said:

I vote this to be the new pre-opening kickoff song before each home game...

And if it isn't I will be thoroughly upset.

Rains of Castamere...I love it. let them know. The doors will be barred. You will not escape with your lives

9 hours ago, carex said:

I get sick of hearing about schedule difficulty.  The Skins have the same number of games against first place teams, since they won't be playing the NFC East champs twice. 

That's hardly the same thing. 

• Like 1

Couple of great points here by Conn and Randy. 

I posted a few weeks ago my thoughts on the Twitter thread in that thread and why I agreed with the MODs thoughts of getting rid of it, at least for the season and if not permanently. I appreciate that you all miss the thread, ending it was difficult because I always put my whole self into something. Both a blessing and a curse as I have said before. However I never put myself ahead of the good for the whole. 

1- Took too much of Haps and to a lesser degree, my personal time. Hap spends so much time being the custodian of the news that he didn't need or should not have been assumed to have wanted another burden to keep up with. Soulskins, Paul and others did participate when push came to shove but still. 

2- The effect on deeper conversations and board quality was effected IMO. Tweets were supposed to spin off into threads, but that didn't occur. I don't pretend to know what the answers are, I do know this is a developing community. We the members are responsible for the content. The twitter thread may or may not come back during the offseason, that is above my pay grade, thankfully, hahaa. 

I usually take a break this time of year to get my fingers limber and tongue sharpened for season....I plan on using the twitter feed both here and on the actual "Twitter" to spawn threads around this weekend. I won't spam the board, but look for good quality topics. 

It was a good run of fun, lots of great times, but camp is over...a more serious ExtremeSkins fan is ready for season. 

Follow me on Twitter, I am as stupid there as I used to be here.   

Ashburning

@johnnylocal

Hail. 

SWFLSkins

Edited by SWFLSkins
  • Like 8

SWFLSkins writes:

2- The effect on deeper conversations and board quality was effected IMO. Tweets were supposed to spin off into threads, but that didn't occur. I don't pretend to know what the answers are, I do know this is a developing community. We the members are responsible for the content. The twitter thread may or may not come back during the offseason, that is above my pay grade, thankfully, hahaa. 

I thought the original reason for the twitter thread was to prevent fifty new threads a day being created just to put up a single tweet.

I remember Tandler or Keim would put up a tweet saying "Practice starts at 1:00pm", and someone would start a new thread for that. :ols: I figured that was why the twitter thread was born. Am I wrong about that?

Maybe the mods feel that now that fans have a better handle on twitter, one giant thread isn't necessary.

I don't understand the concern over the lack of thread starting, though. It is always slower here in the offseason. Even in the preseason, there is only so much to talk about. However, once the first game of the regular season is played, it seems like thread creation escalates sharply. To the point that many topics get pushed off the front page before they are cold.

Maybe that is just my perception, but threads to read and interact on don't seem a problem once the real games start.

Edited by SkinsGuy

I'm hoping to see the return of the Twitter thread soon. I think it is resourceful and sparked good debates.

It'll most likely be back as an off season feature. 

Also, if we are to be honest this message board is known to be more strictly regulated than others therefore we do not see many new threads open.  At one time people were beginning their threads with apologizing for starting a new thread.

And to be honest, we've always gotten more positive feedback on how it's moderated here as opposed to the total anarchy & chaos you get elsewhere. And those apologies are easily avoidable by reading & comprehending the Rules, which in a nutshell of common sense is basically took at the forum topics & make sure this one doesn't already exist. 

In this current format I believe we will see old threads staying on the front page for a while. Please bring back our hottest thread on this board for the last few years and we can spark new convo and threads from there!

Actually it ended up just the opposite. With the Twitter thread, old threads stayed on the front page for a while. And no, we're still not bringing back The Daily Babe thread. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

They're trying to get away from the "mega thread" thing where all content and discussion is lost in a 900 page thread impenetrable to some. The mods would like all relevant tweets posted in the relevant thread, or even in new appropriate threads, instead. I think to spur more discussion across more numerous but also more tightly focused threads. 

This.

It seems like people have got out of the habit of creating new threads or posting in multiple threads on different topics.

With the new season just around the corner there should be a LOT to talk about. Please feel free to use tweets in the appropriate threads on the topic of the tweet.

1 hour ago, TK said:

And no, we're still not bringing back The Daily Babe thread.

This is why ES is losing its steam.

40 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

And if/when you find a tweet you'd like to post, don't think it's thread-worthy and there's no relevant thread to put it in... well, this thread right here is the perfect thread for it. 

I think you just turned the Random "Thot" Thread into the new twitter thread :ols:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

This is why ES is losing its steam.

I think you just turned the Random "Thot" Thread into the new twitter thread :ols:

:ols: Maybe, but really, if it's a tweet with the aforementioned properties (not thread-worthy and no relevant thread for it to be put in), then that shouldn't be too many tweets.

For instance, most recent tweets from everyone in the local media and fans in general have been regarding the roster and/or the Steelers game. We have a roster thread the former are perfect for and we have a "prediction thread" the latter would be just fine to be put in. 

See what I mean? :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Been MIA for a little bit but why did we get rid of the twitter thread? 

1) To increase general activity around ES, promote thread creation and have everyone looking around more instead of focused in on one mega thread. 

2) To foment discussion that doesn't get washed out by new tweets every few minutes, or even hours, and allow for a natural flow to said discussions to occur.

3) To help everyone with their ADD. :) 

We really want everyone, including Hap and SWFL if they have the time, to continue posting tweets as much as possible. It's not the tweets we're trying to end, it's having one thread dedicated to them where discussions automatically go off topic, there's no focus, and it's near impossible to go through if you're trying to find something in particular that you missed.   

• Like 1

Got my hand slapped for saying I missed twitter thread in wrong place... hope this is the right place. I miss it and dont know what to read anymore... I feel like its always been there, been reading for 12 years here, so it must have been different at some point? :(

Image result for don't move my cheese

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 2