Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Neighbor troubles

Drop

ES, i come to you for some suggestions on how to deal with a VERY troublesome neighbor.

Backstory: I moved into my place just a little over 6 months ago, and this guy rented the house in the cul-de-sac, two houses down from me, about a month prior to me moving in. He wasn't there however until about the time i moved in, because he was locked up. This guy comes out and approaches me anytime i'm outside, and he's always drunk. On top of him being a BIG TIME alcoholic, i've also come to learn from HIM, himself, that he also smokes "scotty" (that was the slang he used). Now i'm pretty versed in drug terminology, but i had no clue what that was. My wife and i googled it and it turns out that he's basically saying he freebases crack. So anytime this dude approaches me i try to go inside or keep it short. The first couple times my wife and i met him and his wife, we could tell they were trouble so we tried to keep conversation limited and just mind our own business.

Well, this guy approaches me yesterday afternoon, drunk as usual, wanting me to come over to drink with him and i basically told him, "no thanks, the wife and son aren't feeling well and i really need to help around the house". Well he seemed kinda pissed off, like he was beginning to get the hint that i really wanted nothing to do with him since this is the 3rd or 4th time i've turned him down on this sort of thing.

So he goes home, i go home and that's that. However, at about 7:30 i went out to buy some groceries, well i get a call from the Prince William County Police telling me not to come to my house, because police are showing up to investigate a breaking and entering call that my wife placed. They told me she was on the line with them and she was safe, but that i needed to stay away to avoid confusion amongst the officers on the scene. They didn't want to mistaken me for whoever the call was placed about.

What happened was, my wife put our son to bed at like 7:45 and about 5 minutes later, there was LOUD banging on the door. Not knocking, BANGING. So i'm not home and of course my wife is startled by it. Well, then she heard someone violently twisting on the door knob like they were trying to come in, so that did it for her, she called 911.

Like 10 officers showed up and searched the property, inside and out. My wife, nor I, knew who was knocking at the door until the police went around asking our neighbors if anyone was knocking on their doors too. Well, this retarded crackhead tells the police that it was HIM who was banging on the door. Except he said he didn't beat on the door like my wife said, he said he knocked quietly because he was coming to see how my son was feeling. Mind you, i HARDLY know this guy and would NEVER ask him, expect him, or invite him to come check on my kid. This guy is nothing but trouble, and now my wife is worried that he will try to pull something else being that he's a drunk and most likely pissed that he had the cops all up his ass last night. But come on, he knew my truck wasn't in the driveway and he's banging on the door when it's JUST my wife and son home? Who the hell WOULDN'T call the cops in that situation??

I told one officer on the phone who i spoke to before i was allowed to come back home, that the dude is a real creep and that he's always drunk, and constantly drives up and down the street on a suspended license, WHILE being on probation, and almost always with a can of beer in his hand. I also told the officer at the very least, i don't want him on my property or anywhere near my house or family. Well the one officer said he'd fill out a trespassing warrant and have my wife sign it. Well another officer nixed that idea because of how drunk this guy was, and because apparently, they're familiar with him and didn't think it would be a good idea because it would elevate the situation. I think they were trying to avoid a confrontation with this dude, because according to them, he's been tazed twice in PW County already.

So that pissed me off that they didn't do that for us. They however told us that we could go to the magistrate and get that, or at the very least, see if he'd approach me when he was sober and have me just basically tell him, "look, you stay over there, i'll stay over here, and we'll be cool". So i'm gonna talk to my wife tonight and see if she wants to persue the trespassing warrant. Mind you, this is my neighbor who i KNOW has drug and alcohol problems, and i don't want to cause any more friction than there already is.

The other thing, is that i live RIGHT next door to a police officer, a 1st sergeant in fact. He and his wife came over to see what was wrong and to make sure my wife was alright. My neighbor gave us all his numbers, cell phone included, and told my wife that if she EVER had another problem, to call his cell phone because he can dispatch officers even quicker than 911 can. It definitley feels good to live right next to this guy. And he is a really nice guy, i've talked to him over our fence in the back yard several times.

So anyway, basically my wife is scared and i was wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this they've had to deal with. I'm hoping this guy does something stupid that doesn't affect my family, something like getting caught driving on that suspended license. He and his whole family over there are drug addicts, and i feel bad for the small children that are in that house. Calling CPS has crossed my mind more than once for their sake.

The way the guy drinks, and knowing he's on probation, i'm surprised that's not a violation right there. He's had 3 DUI's, and i know it sounds like i know a lot about this guy i say i hardly know, and that's because he's one of those loudmouths who will tell you everything in the world about himself if he doesn't feel threatened by you. I've literally encountered this guy in the cul-de-sac 5 or 6 times and everytime he tells me stuff about himself that makes my jaw want to drop.

So today my wife is going over to my cop neighbors house to talk to his wife and i think i'll go over there this afternoon myself and let my neighbor know the kind of stuff i've learned about this guy, just so it's out there and there's more to look out for if my neighbor doesn't already know.

Someone may ask, so i'll go ahead and say that i think this guy is drawn towards me and my family because we're a little younger than them, we have a child who's a month apart from their youngest, and he seems to think i'm someone who actually wants to hang out with him despite turning him down on several occasions. This guy has problems and he just doesn't understand "no".

Sorry for the longwinded post, i was just looking for some feedback or suggestions. Thanks ESers.

Do you know who owns the house that your neighbor is renting? You could anonymously let the owner know that there is illegal drug activity going on. Perhaps the owner doesn't fully know this guy's history. Usually these types of problems resolve themselves only when one of the parties moves - you or him.

Do you know who owns the house that your neighbor is renting? You could anonymously let the owner know that there is illegal drug activity going on. Perhaps the owner doesn't fully know this guy's history. Usually these types of problems resolve themselves only when one of the parties moves - you or him.

I actually agree with this. it wont be as anonymous as you think but you should go about this legally until it is face to face.

but I would get a shotgun for the house and teach the wife how to shoot.

I'd definitely try to find out who owns the house (the landlord) and let them know about all of the things that have happened and about his admitted drug use. There might be something in the lease the guy signed that can get him evicted.

EDIT: What part of PW county is this? I just moved to PW about 3 months ago.

I believe it is legal for you to have a gun in your glove compartment without a carrying permit in Virgina. Look in to buying a side arm, this guy has now threatened your wife and child.

Pull all stops. Those cops that didn't want to elevate the situation should not deter you at all. I'd rat this guy out faster than Henry did to the Goodfellas.

I'd definitely try to find out who owns the house (the landlord) and let them know about all of the things that have happened and about his admitted drug use. There might be something in the lease the guy signed that can get him evicted.

Why were you banging on his door?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Our society is just filled to the brim with degenerates just like this idiot. I'm amazed someone would actually allow a person like this to rent from them. I'm equally amazed he is capable of holding down a job that enables him to make payments. You might want to invest in some security enhancements for your home if moving is not an option - perhaps find a nice shelter dog. That might give your wife some comfort when you are not home. Ask your officer neighbor for advice on how best to proceed and good luck.

Lets just let Reic loose in the guys yard. That'll scare him out of the neighborhood.

This is an excellent suggestion. drop a dime on him to his landlord and let the landlord make trouble for him.

I don't blame you for being nervous. Get a big dog.

~Bang

Wow man....this is a story I can TOTALLY relate to. Me my girlfriend, my friend and his g/f all found this great HUGE farm house that we loved and decided to all move in together. It was a huge house that was affordable (because there was 4 of us). Well not even a week went by, and this strange guy kept coming over wasted. He was the owner of the property's brother and the owner let him stay in this almost like shack like house that was on the property. We didnt even think anyone lived there.

Well weeks went by and this creep who was constantly drunk, and bringing over pills and asking if we want to do some with him. ANYTIME we went outside he would come out and start some weird drunk/high conversation. It was like he had his ear to the door at all times. We were definitly worried about our girlfriends being there without us, and we never could say anything because he was the owners brother. It was a complete nightmare. I was always embarassed when he would stop by when we had people over "for a ciggarette" or a "beer" when really he just wanted to pop his head in and look around at the people we had over.

Im sorry about your situation....im glad I dont live there anymore. One thing I would like to ask is....how come the cops said you cant come home?

Be a man, talk to him when he's sober, lay out the situation, your concerns, your worries, etc. But don't do it an a snobbish, smug way. Let him know you're not really the partying type, you just work, have a fam, it's not your scene, and that you wouldn't be fun to hang out with anyway.

He's an alcoholic, he has a disease, he probably hates himself, hates his life and doesn't have any friends. So he's lost. Let him now that what he's looking for isn't going to be found with you.

And if by Prince William County you mean Manassas, scrap the above and move.

Be a man, talk to him when he's sober, lay out the situation, your concerns, your worries, etc. But don't do it an a snobbish, smug way. Let him know you're not really the partying type, you just work, have a fam, it's not your scene, and that you wouldn't be fun to hang out with anyway.

He's an alcoholic, he has a disease, he probably hates himself, hates his life and doesn't have any friends. So he's lost. Let him now that what he's looking for isn't going to be found with you.

And if by Prince William County you mean Manassas, scrap the above and move.

You're assuming that this guy is reasonable when he's sober. Let's even say that he is. What about the next time he gets drunk and forgets about the "reasonable" conversation you had the day before? Or maybe doesn't forget, but has a different "interpretation" of the conversion now that he's drunk.

I don't know this guy, but the way the OP describes him, the least amount of personal contact with him, the better. If there wasn't a wife and child involved, I would suggest a different approach.

I would get your first srgt buddy of yours to try and get him on a 4th DUI. 4 DUI's = lots of jail time if im not mistaken.

I agree with this too. Has the cop neighbor had any problems with this guy? Can he be a witness and speak on your behalf as well when this needs to be escalated once again?

Man, that is definitely a tough situation.

I would definitely keep your Cop neighbor posted and aware of what is going on there exactly. I think he is your biggest asset with regards to this issue.

Personally, I don't like to get too overzealous and I've lived far from DC for quite some time now, so perhaps this is too easy to suggest, but could you try to talk to him and tell him straight forward, that he really crossed a line? Inform him that you'd like to be a good neighbor and don't want to see anyone get in trouble, but he roused the whole neighborhood, your family, freaked everyone out and worse, he's got a cop across the street with eyes on him all the time.

No need to be friendly or sympathetic, but I think he might respect the situation a bit more if you tell him personally.

I agree also with bumping up security measures. IE: an alarm system...

Archived