Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

best PC Cleaning Software?

footballhenry

Hey friends, so my cp is acting up really bad. A couple months ago it got infected with a virus, and while I did get rid of the main problem it has still been acting up alot (ex: slow loading times, error messages, doesn't restart correctly, etc.). Basically I just want to ask if any of you all know of any effective programs that are downloadable off of the net (preferably free, but if they do cost something then cheaper the better of course). I am looking to clean my computer and hopefully rid it of the remnants of viruses left on it; if I can't then I may have to reinstall windows but I really would hate to do that. Thanks in advance mes amis.

malwarebytes is good. SmitFraudfix also cleans a good amount of spyware. ATFCleaner will clean up your cookies and such. (all free)

If you have a persistent problem, then you probably have some type of file infector virus which would be very difficult to fix.

If the above programs don't work, then I suggest going to www.geekstogo.com and posting on their malware removal forums.

Hey friends, so my cp is acting up really bad.

Your friend has his own Clinton Portis? Sweet.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The most popular ones seem to be AdAware and Spybot for cleaning out all the spyware that accumulates on a PC while AVG is a pretty popular free virus scanner.

Although, I switched to a mac about a year ago, so there may be better options out now.

I have some type of spyware/malware on my computer and nothing can seem to clean it up. It happens when I do a google search and then, at times, I go to a site that is not what I clicked. I have to go back to the google search and then it goes to the desired web site. It's frustrating and nothing seems to work.

I have some type of spyware/malware on my computer and nothing can seem to clean it up. It happens when I do a google search and then, at times, I go to a site that is not what I clicked. I have to go back to the google search and then it goes to the desired web site. It's frustrating and nothing seems to work.

Try PC Tools Spyware Doctor - good product and price - comes with anti-virus too.

Crap Cleaner from Piriform is another good tool...

Ive had my PC (I run Windows Vista 32-bit, SP1) for about a year and a half and have not noticed any drop off in performance.

While I spend a ton of time on the internet and do quite a bit of downloading, I am pretty careful with where I go and get stuff from.

On a weekly basis, I run Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and CCleaner. I also have my computer defrag itself every night around 4 am with the standard Windows defrag program. Once a week or so I run Auslogics Disk Defrag which does a better job. I also have AVG scan my computer nightly for any viruses.

edit: All of the above programs are free.

Also, if you have partially removed stuff, you're going to need a trained eye to remove necessary remnants that may be found through the registry and other areas (startup menus, etc.). Hijack This can often remove these things, or atleast point you in the right direction to what needs to be fixed, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you know what you're doing.

What you may fine is that one program removed the trace of the virus, but not all parts. In some cases other malware removal programs MAY find these pieces, but many others may not.

Chump, there's actually a program called crapcleaner? :laugh:

Anyway, start with SpyBot and AdAware (don't run them at the same time; run them consecutively).

Well, it's now known simply as CCleaner, but its former designation was Crap Cleaner :)

I personally don't have much faith in the free spyware programs. I used to run one of the best in avast, but feel the threats have evolved to such a degree nowadays that these free programs simply cannot compete with them anymore.

My Bro is a Cisco Engineer, so I hit him up for advice on these things quite a bit...

Can anyone help me with this?

So this dumb thing pops up once in awhile claiming to be a PC scan....it does it's fake scan and then requests for me to download "VIRUS SCAN 2009" of course it is all designed to look like something official from Microsoft.....and then when you actually go to download it it says "unknown publisher, publisher cannot be verified" OF COURSE....so I know it is fake and it is more of an annoyance then a hinderance, but I can't seem to find it so I can delete it.....does this type of thing sound familiar to anyone and what is a good tool/utility for finding it and getting rid of it?

1) Your computer has already been compromised. (The program that's generating those fake messages is a compromise).

2) What it wants you to do is to give them legal permission to install more compromises.

3) My recommendations for cleanup utilities?

Spybot - Search and Destroy

AdAware SE

Archived