Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"In God We Trust"

Zguy28

They're actually pretty neat looking. I would like to think the US could learn to use dollar coins, they're so much easier now that 1 dollar doesn't buy much anymore. Europe has 1 and 2 Euro coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?action=Reverse

Look north - the Loonie and Toonie in Canada are the best examples of how to use dollar coins.

There is simply no need to profess religion on our currency. I'm not going to bother to vote in their poll though.
I don't think it should be on the money, but frankly, it's not a big issue to me.

"God" is a pretty amorphous term in this context.

I actually agree with this (Pledge too). It's probably a technical 1st Ammmendment violation, but it's not significant enough to expend energy on it.

I actually agree with this (Pledge too). It's probably a technical 1st Ammmendment violation, but it's not significant enough to expend energy on it.

I do find myself agreeing with something I heard Neal Boortz (Libertarian talk radio host) said years ago.

Anybody who actually goes to court over "under God" or "In God We Trust" has the law 100% on his side. There has never been a clearer violation of the First Amendment in the history of this country.

And, anybody who actually goes to court over "under God" or "In God We Trust", is a certified a-hole of the highest grade, who needs to find a life.

I'm fine leaving it on the money. At this point I see it more as tradition than religion.
Seconded.

All my life I've been looking for God, and He's right in my pocket. Americans worship money, and we all go to the same church, the church of ATM. Everywhere you look there's a new branch popping up … remind you about how much money you got and how much money you don't got. And if you got less than twenty dollars, the machine won't even talk to you.

-Chris Rock

They're actually pretty neat looking. I would like to think the US could learn to use dollar coins, they're so much easier now that 1 dollar doesn't buy much anymore. Europe has 1 and 2 Euro coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?action=Reverse

I would think that anybody who's ever tried to buy a soda from a vending machine would agree.

To me, the Pledge is a little different, because we compel small children to say it, out loud, in school.

Plus, the "under God" part of the pledge was added in the middle of the Red Scare of the 1950s, as nothing more than a thumb in the eye to those "godless communists." Not as much tradition there.

I do find myself agreeing with something I heard Neal Boortz (Libertarian talk radio host) said years ago.

Anybody who actually goes to court over "under God" or "In God We Trust" has the law 100% on his side. There has never been a clearer violation of the First Amendment in the history of this country.

And, anybody who actually goes to court over "under God" or "In God We Trust", is a certified a-hole of the highest grade, who needs to find a life.

I used to know Mike Newdow, the guy who brought all the lawsuits against the "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. We went to Law School together. And yep, he's kind of a tool, as I recall. :)

someone just told me that the gold colored dollar coins do not have "In God We Trust" on them already.

They do, however, have "You sucker, you were just handed some worthless gold coins!" printed on them.

(Yes, I was recently given these as part of my change, and didn't notice until I had left the store. I think I'd be too embarrassed to try to pay for anything with them.)

I'm not surprised at that at all. We are mainly a nation that has had roots in God and most people still honor that, despite the vitriol thrown at all things faith related.

Drama queen much? Feeling persecuted? Deeply frustrated with how little religion, Christianity in particular, is accepted and celebrated in our culture? Tired of hearing/reading those who have negative views on your religion? Me, I'm ok with it all. :)

BTW, we are "mainly a nation" that had "roots" in all kinds of things. "Mainly", human things. Cherry-picking can be fun, ask Mr. Washington. :silly:

It should be taken off. The phrase "In God We Trust" was not added to our currency until the 1950s during the big Communist scare when America sought to distinguish itself from the 'godless' Soviets. But the Soviet Union is gone. The Cold War is over. And it's unconstitutional to inject religion into any public or government sponsored form. That, more than any moral or opinionated argument, is why it should be removed.

It should be taken off. The phrase "In God We Trust" was not added to our currency until the 1950s during the big Communist scare when America sought to distinguish itself from the 'godless' Soviets. But the Soviet Union is gone. The Cold War is over. And it's unconstitutional to inject religion into any public or government sponsored form. That, more than any moral or opinionated argument, is why it should be removed.

The amendment to the Pledge of Allegiance was done during the Red Scare in the 50s.

In God We Trust has been on the money much longer, since 1864 on some coins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

The amendment to the Pledge of Allegiance was done during the Red Scare in the 50s.

In God We Trust has been on the money much longer, since 1864 on some coins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

regardless, our founders did not see fit to include religion into our government in the form of a pledge or in currency and I don't see why we should have it today.

regardless, our founders did not see fit to include religion into our government in the form of a pledge or in currency and I don't see why we should have it today.
Yet they regularly had prayer sessions before, during, and after legislative sessions. Go figure.

Take it off.

We're a much more diverse culture now then when the founders started this country. And, we're a diverse country because of the freedoms the founders laid down. They invited this society to happen the way it has, to accept the many different religions that make up our country now.

And it bugs me when folks simply fail to grasp that.

~Bang

Yet they regularly had prayer sessions before, during, and after legislative sessions. Go figure.

I would imagine those were voluntary. They key distinction, IMO, is the difference between an individual right to expression (in your example a collection of individuals) and federally endorsed Religion like we have on money and when congress voted to insert God into the pledge in 1954.

People still handle money? I use credit cards,gas cards and debit card for just about everything,never touch the stuff.

So you are one of the annoying guys who can't just throw in cash at a restaurant and because there are always at least two of you the check needs to split on multiple cards.

Sorry to hijack. Nobody ever having cash on them is a pet peeve of me. I'm glad I live in a mostly cash only town.

People still handle money? I use credit cards,gas cards and debit card for just about everything,never touch the stuff.

That brings up a neat point somebody may have already said, but I wouldn't know, because I only read up to your post and clicked on it, even though I do usually read the entire thread. Any who...

At least with a CC, you have the freedom to have anything you want on your own card and nobody has to imply a religious belief on the currency you use.

Absolutely not.

Without God, we will really screw ourselves over.

Not a good idea to tick off your Creator.

Then all the other people in the world are in big trouble! :D

I don't think it should be on the money, but frankly, it's not a big issue to me.

"God" is a pretty amorphous term in this context.

I would like to see it taken out also, but not a big deal. I don't sit and "read" our money.

To me, the Pledge is a little different, because we compel small children to say it, out loud, in school.

Plus, the "under God" part of the pledge was added in the middle of the Red Scare of the 1950s, as nothing more than a thumb in the eye to those "godless communists." Not as much tradition there.

Pledge and money I'd like to see it taken out. But again, no big deal to me if it isn't.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily seem appropriate to have "G-d" on money - what does a deity have to do with legal tender in a monetary exchange system?

Nothing. If anything, some folks may suggest it is actually idolatry and blasphemous.

I do agree that I am fine with it as a tradition, but it would not bother me to remove it, either. But I just do not understand what faith has to do with the phrase being on a coin - I really do not think we are less of a nation if it was indeed removed.

Archived