Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: McCain Camp Sees An Insult in a Saying

Ignatius J.

Seems like someone in the McCain campaign forgot to read the memo. No double standards here right? This one isn't even subtle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090903531.html?hpid=topnews

McCain Camp Sees An Insult in a Saying

Obama Called Policies 'Lipstick on a Pig'

By Anne E. Kornblut and Michael D. Shear

Washington Post Staff Writers

Wednesday, September 10, 2008; A06

Sen. Barack Obama said yesterday that Sen. John McCain's claim that he will shake up Washington after agreeing with President Bush for so long is like "putting lipstick on a pig" -- a common colloquialism that Obama has used for years, and one that even some Republicans have been known to say. But to the McCain campaign, it was an example of unbridled sexism clearly aimed at Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"Senator Obama uttered what I can only describe to be disgusting comments, comparing our vice presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, to a pig," former Massachusetts governor Jane Swift declared in a conference call with reporters.

Obama uttered the phrase in the midst of ridiculing the Republican nominee's commitment to change. "John McCain says he's about change, too," Obama said in an appearance here, leading into a string of ways he contends McCain represents more of the same -- on economic policy, taxes, education, foreign policy, campaign tactics.

"That's not change. That's just calling something that's the same thing something different. You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig," Obama went on, and the crowd erupted in cheers. "You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper and call it change. It's still going to stink, after eight years. We've had enough of the same old thing."

Swift, the newly designated chair of the "Palin Truth Squad," demanded that Obama apologize. She said Obama must have been talking about Palin because she is the only one of the four candidates who wears lipstick, and she called the remark an obvious reference to Palin's joke in her acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention last week that the only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull is lipstick.

But Anita Dunn, a senior Obama adviser, said: "The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy -- the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health-care plan just last year.

"This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism," Dunn added.

The saying is usually meant to convey putting the best possible face on a bad situation. Torie Clarke, Donald H. Rumsfeld's press secretary at the Pentagon -- a Republican and a woman -- named her book "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning in the No-Spin Era by Someone Who Knows the Game." And McCain himself used the phrase late last year to describe Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's plan for universal health care.

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," McCain said of the plan last October as Clinton was running for the Democratic nomination.

Four reporters were allowed to pose questions during the conference call, and three of them were from women who asked, with obvious incredulity, whether Swift believed that Obama was referring to Palin.

When one reporter asked Swift why she assumed the remarks were directed at Palin, Swift replied: "It seemed to me a gendered comment. There's only one woman in the race."

"As far as I know, she's the only one of the four -- the presidential and vice presidential candidates -- who wears lipstick," Swift said.

Kornblut and Shear reported from Lebanon, Ohio. Staff writer Peter Slevin in Lebanon, Va., contributed to this report.

It's real lame to try to make soemthing out of it, but when did that start to count?

I think Obama, or an advisor, should have been sharp enough to consider how their adversaries are spinning everything and consider staying a mile away from anything that will give them something else to spin.

It's real lame to try to make soemthing out of it, but when did that start to count?

I think Obama, or an advisor, should have been sharp enough to consider how their adversaries are spinning everything and consider staying a mile away from anything that will give them something else to spin.

Someone has to draw a line in the sand jumbo. The latest mccain attack ad transformed a program to educated kindergarters on sexual predators into sex ed class for children. It's absolutely disgusting and manipulative what that party has shown they will do to win the election.

Think about it a different way.

The Obama camp knows that the McCain camp is going to spin everything they say so why not give them something minor to spin so when they do they'll look ridiculous.

That how it looks at this point, CCS, and I agree, if that holds, that's some pretty low ****. I think the Palin selection may have activated a sharp descent on both sides' machines and their supporters.

Can you point to the sharp descent by Obama right now? I mean I hear people saying it's both of them everytime there is a Republican example, but for this week or the last two weeks is there an equivalent or is this political PCism.

The only thing I've seen (and it's slightly muddy) are the Obama ads trying to make Bush and McCain one and showing inconsistency between statement and action.

I suppose if you include the blogosphere the Dems have gotten downright ugly, but you hardly can attach those idiot bloggers to one of the "machines"

Can you point to the sharp descent by Obama right now? I mean I hear people saying it's both of them everytime there is a Republican example, but for this week or the last two weeks is there an equivalent or is this political PCism.

The only thing I've seen (and it's slightly muddy) are the Obama ads trying to make Bush and McCain one and showing inconsistency between statement and action.

I suppose if you include the blogosphere the Dems have gotten downright ugly, but you hardly can attach those idiot bloggers to one of the "machines"

Yes. You can.

The Daily Kos for example has become a huge influence on the democratic party. Slimebucket operations set the tone for the left wing nutjobs that the democratic party panders to. Officially the party does not talk to or about them but they happily look the other way as websites like the Kos act as attack dogs.

Yes. You can.

The Daily Kos for example has become a huge influence on the democratic party. Slimebucket operations set the tone for the left wing nutjobs that the democratic party panders to. Officially the party does not talk to or about them but they happily look the other way as websites like the Kos act as attack dogs.

I disagree. I think groups like that or Moveon exert influence they beleive on their candidates behalf, but I don't think they actually speak for them.

I disagree. I think groups like that or Moveon exert influence they beleive on their candidates behalf, but I don't think they actually speak for them.

So they are officially deniable yet work for him, same old thing different year.

Politics as usual....at least the crap will die down a little in a few months.

palin is getting used. shes a trophy vp. this story just goes and illustrates how little the mccain campaign wants this to be about the issues.
McCain 2000 wouldn't have allowed that kind of nonsense.

Hit it on the head. McCain has decided that running on issues will be a losing battle. He's trying to run on flash now. Even his old adviser said it in the off air comments, he's running on the "story", not the issues.

Well the Republicans are barking up the wrong tree. ( apologies to any dogs or trees reading this it's only a phrase and not intended as demeaning to dogs or trees)

it's only a phrase, and after both reading and seeing the speech, it's clearly not directed at Palin, but at McCain's policies.

Even if this wasn't meant to be a slam against Palin....it's a poor choice of words for someone who wants to lead this country. He could have used a better analogy that wouldn't have drawn so much heat. Anything said about lipstick or anything feminine really, and then attached to an animal is naturally going to look like a slam against the female on the other side of the political table. Where the hell are Obama's PR people telling him not to make stupid comments like that?

A few days ago I burned out on all this political nonsense.

I'm going 3rd party regardless of debates or anything else. So, why keep tunning in?

I did hear about this today on the news and it made me laugh alittle.

MsPiggy_P8212906_med.jpg

8154_MSPIG~The-Muppet-Show-Miss-Piggy-Posters.jpg

I think Obama knew exactly what he was saying and the double meaning. I don't think he should have said that you can cover a piece of **** in gold, but it'll still be a piece of ****. That might not play well either.

I also think McCain went from tough-nosed War Vet to whiney ***** in amazing time.

Well the Republicans are barking up the wrong tree. ( apologies to any dogs or trees reading this it's only a phrase and not intended as demeaning to dogs or trees)

it's only a phrase, and after both reading and seeing the speech, it's clearly not directed at Palin, but at McCain's policies.

“No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H.L. Mencken

Both of these are precisely right. It's so much easier to listen to Hannity complain, or see the headline on drudge report "lipstick on a pig" under a picture of Palin without bothering to spend the time to find out the context.

This will be one of those things that's just a blip on the radar. It's just too ridiculous to hang around more than a day or two.

Archived