Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

56 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well you've got Jinder Mahal elevating the World title over there on Smackdown. I'd also like to point out that "Universal Champion" sounds stupid and that belt looks like ****. Wrestling sucks. I thought MMA might be something worth getting into but they are leaning more WWE every month. They could announce Rhonda Rousey vs Lavar Ball as the main event of UFC 211 and it wouldn't shock anyone.

Eh, I don't take it that seriously one way or the other.  It's just something to watch.  Kind of like a soap opera for athletes.  I get a kick out of it, but I don't fret over it. It's just "entertainment" to me, hence the "E" in WWE.  You can watch it and pretty much know who will win about 5 minutes into the match.

But something about Brock Lesnar irritates me.  I think he's a gump. He doesn't really bring anything worth watching to me. From his "advocate" thing to his "Jimmy Johns" F5 walking billboard shirt, he seems out of place with all the other actors...er' wrestlers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Eh, I don't take it that seriously one way or the other.  It's just something to watch.  Kind of like a soap opera for athletes.  I get a kick out of it, but I don't fret over it. It's just "entertainment" to me, hence the "E" in WWE.  You can watch it and pretty much know who will win about 5 minutes into the match.

But something about Brock Lesnar irritates me.  I think he's a gump. He doesn't really bring anything worth watching to me. From his "advocate" thing to his "Jimmy Johns" F5 walking billboard shirt, he seems out of place with all the other actors...er' wrestlers.

The problem with Lesnar is he's a special attraction instead of being a wrestler. Having someone else speak for you during promos and only having 5 minute matches spammed with suplexes gets old. It's disappointing because the guy used to be a good wrestler.

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it was a just a bad visual. WWE has more than enough money to buy better cameras that are able to show the action in the ring. They should have had some remote HD cameras attached to each corner of the cage. No wonder it's been so long since the had a Punjabi Prison match. 

5 hours ago, DM72 said:

Who thought this was a good idea?

On paper it looked like a great idea I'm sure. It fit Jinder's character & seemed a great way to blow off the feud with Orton. 

Watching it though, dear lord did the structure get in way. Reports from some that were there said it was so hard to see anyone actually in the structure people started leaving early. Might have been a good match to have had experimented with drone cameras & maybe some mounted Go Pros.

Before the show even started, I had been texting with a friend & had said watch them bring out Khali for this match only to follow it up with how the hell do hide his big ass so it doesn't hit the dirt sheets.Evidently they found a way. :ols: 

• Like 1

I'm weeks behind on Raw and Smackdown.  Just watched the Battleground PPV last night.  I liked the Punjabi Prison match, liked how it ended, but man, I'd have been ticked off watching that live in person (as mentioned above).  The highlight of the night for me was my 9 year old daughter's reaction to Randy Orton losing the match.  She got ticked off because Jinder cheated, listening to her complain while watching it had me laughing the entire end of the match.

Then she heal turned on me and started preaching at me about always pulling for the bad guys in everything (wrestling, movies, etc.) :ols:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm weeks behind on Raw and Smackdown.

Hulu runs both shows the next day. Smackdown is the full show while RAW is edited down to about 90 minutes on the commercial free plan. It seems like they'll edit out a CW match & a backstage segment or two.

I just started watching NJPW's G1 Climax tournament. I figured it'd have JR & Josh Barnett on commentary, pleasantly surprised that instead it's Cyrus with Kevin Kelly.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DM72 said:

Ric Flair is reportedly in a medical induced coma. He was admitted to the hospital on the weekend with heart problems.

I hope the Nature Boy pulls through.  Haven't read it was a medical induced coma though, only that he was in ICU.   I never met him, but my dad and a few of his friends did years ago (like 30 years) while playing golf at Pinehurst.  Either Flair or another wrestler owned a house on the course and one of my dad's friends hit a ball into their yard.  

A big party/cookout was going on and when he went to retrieve the ball saw Flair and a lot of other wrestlers drinking, eating, partying.  They invited them to the party, so they went in.  My dad said he was one of the nicest guys he ever met and went out of his way to get them beers/drinks/etc.  They drank a couple of beers with them and his friends got autographs then they left and continued to play golf.  

What's cool, especially if you live in NC (and in the Charlotte area back in the day), is peoples stories of meeting Flair and him always being nothing but cool and generous (picking up bar tabs, buying people drinks, etc.).  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I hope the Nature Boy pulls through.  Haven't read it was a medical induced coma though, only that he was in ICU.   I never met him, but my dad and a few of his friends did years ago (like 30 years) while playing golf at Pinehurst.  Either Flair or another wrestler owned a house on the course and one of my dad's friends hit a ball into their yard.  

A big party/cookout was going on and when he went to retrieve the ball saw Flair and a lot of other wrestlers drinking, eating, partying.  They invited them to the party, so they went in.  My dad said he was one of the nicest guys he ever met and went out of his way to get them beers/drinks/etc.  They drank a couple of beers with them and his friends got autographs then they left and continued to play golf.  

What's cool, especially if you live in NC (and in the Charlotte area back in the day), is peoples stories of meeting Flair and him always being nothing but cool and generous (picking up bar tabs, buying people drinks, etc.).  

His Ric Flair persona was not a gimmick. He lived that life. Nice to hear that he is a cool dude. 

I've always heard that the "bad" guys were cool and the "good" guys were the pricks in real life.

• Like 1

I hope he pulls through, but there is a lesson here: Drinking 17 Kamizkazes a day for 50 years is not a good idea.

I've heard good and bad Flair in person stories. I think it largely depends on how many money marks he has backing him at any given moment. And maybe what he is drinking that night. When Conrad Thompson is around, Flair is apparently the nicest guy on the planet. Flair alone is not such a pretty picture these days.

If nothing else, I hope he pulls through long enough to see the ESPN documentary.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Ric Flair is a genetic hero along the lines of Michael Irvin. Dude was in a plane crash that killed the pilot, crippled Johnny Valentine, ended the careers of half the wrestlers on board, and broke Flair's back in three places. They told him he would never wrestle again but he was taking power slams from Wahoo McDaniel like three weeks later (slight exaggeration).

Dude smoked, drank all the time, partied til all hours of the night, I hear he was THE GUY for cocaine in NC for a good stretch as well. Didn't stop him from wrestling 60 minute matches 5 nights a week for 20 years. Cat was being suplexed into thumbtacks off the top of ladders when he was pushing 60.

No coma can stop Ric Flair. I suspect this is some sort of ploy... probably to get Sting to come visit and then have Arn and Tully jump him, work him over a little and then hold down him while Flair pops out of bed and delivers straight jabs and hooks to the face, all the while strutting around the hospital room in his gown yelling "WOOOOOOO!!!!".

He always hated Sting.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No coma can stop Ric Flair. I suspect this is some sort of ploy... probably to get Sting to come visit and then have Arn and Tully pop out and jump him, work him over a little and then hold down him while Flair pops out of bed and delivers straight jabs and hooks to the face, all the while strutting around the hospital room in his gown yelling "WOOOOOOO!!!!".

My god, that would be tremendous.......

Flair's genetics really should be studied at some point. Because I'm pretty sure he has never had hip or knee or neck problems in retirement. And that seems insane considering his entire act was just taking enormous bumps for 60 minutes a night. I mean, how many press slams did that dude take in his life? And he never took the bump correctly, landing on his hips instead of on a flat back.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

No one took whips into the turnbuckle like Flair.

Except Ray Stevens.

I'll show myself out.....

(Getting deep into wrestling history made Flair's act seem all the more incredible/ridiculous/whatever. Basically he stole one piece from every top star when he came up:

1. The nickname and look from Buddy Rogers

2. I'm pretty sure the hair is a holdover from his time carrying Dusty's bags. Pre-plane crash Flair is a hybrid of Dusty and Superstar Graham.

3. The figure four from Jack Brisco

4. The turnbuckle flip from Ray Stevens

5. The flat face bump from Johnny Valentine

6. The strut from Jackie Fargo.

7. The chop from Terry Funk (he claims, but I don't get how you work with Wahoo 1,000 times and not get into a chopping contest)

8. The knee drop and top rope slam from Harley Race

9. The whoo from Mick Jagger

10. I'm pretty sure he stole that delayed suplex from Harley too, but I can't remember right now. (Harley Race was amazing)

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

I've always heard that the "bad" guys were cool and the "good" guys were the pricks in real life.

I've heard that too, but I think the reasoning makes sense to some degree. If Dusty Rhodes was everybody's best friend in a bar, Dusty Rhodes is going to have a line of 100 people wanting to talk to him a bar. The heels could afford to be nice, because only the most hardcore of fans were going to approach them. And those people probably had money, drugs, or vaginas.

The one guy that everyone universally agrees was awful in every fan interaction was Jim Ross.

I listen to a classic wrestling podcast, and this guy who was a photographer/small town promoter in Florida met Gordon Solie at a bar, and had the greatest interaction I've ever heard. Gordon was cautious. The guy said, "I'm not a mark. I promoted some shows." Gordon says, "If you promoted, you're the biggest mark of all." They laughed and then Gordon delivered the clincher, "Do you like Dave Brubeck?" So, this random guy and Gordon Solie discuss jazz while drinking at a bar.

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

No coma can stop Ric Flair. I suspect this is some sort of ploy... probably to get Sting to come visit and then have Arn and Tully jump him, work him over a little and then hold down him while Flair pops out of bed and delivers straight jabs and hooks to the face, all the while strutting around the hospital room in his gown yelling "WOOOOOOO!!!!".

He always hated Sting.

I popped. :)

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Sting would most assuredly fall for it.  Sting getting stabbed in the back was a WCW staple.

The last truly great Flair angle was his falling out with Arn where he went to Sting for help, Sting explicitly said, "I know you are going to turn on me," and of course Flair turned on him. (There were some decent latter day WWF/WWE Flair angles, but this was the last time he could really back it up in the ring as well).

• Like 2