Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Ric Flair could cut a promo, son. And do you know why??? Cocaine. The last two pages of this thread are just one more reminder of the time tested formula Steroids + Cocaine = Watchable Wrestling.  I don't know why they ever got away from it.  One little oldmurder-suicide and they decide to ruin the whole product ?

Yup... Steriods and cocaine. Now here was a guy who understood the business. A true professional.

Lots of steroids... Lots of cocaine... Pretty much nothing else and he's in the Hall of Fame. On top of that, nothing bad happened. Yes, I know he's dead but the lived a good long life to the ripe old age of 54. Plus, that time that his heart exploded was an isolated incident. Never happened before or again.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Speaking of The Warrior. A while back I was watching an early match of his while he was teaming with Sting on the WWE Network. The commentator, yes, the commentator, suggested that The Warrior was on steroids. 

I had had never heard a commentator imply that someone was using steroids.

Edited by DM72

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

Speaking of The Warrior. A while back I was watching an early match of his while he was teaming with Sting on the WWE Network. The commentator, yes, the commentator, suggested that The Warrior was on steroids. 

I had had never heard a commentator imply that someone was using steroids.

The only clip I ever saw of them (this cat was like 5'6" and looked like an uncle), the guy they were wrestling said they were on roids.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Awesome awesome movie. I said I wouldn't stay up late night to watch it, but hey I wasn't doing anything anyway tomorrow morning so whatever. Just so touching and seeing how wrestling consumed Ric Flair to the point that his own son wanted to follow in his footsteps and sadly met an untimely demise. Seeing Ric just melt down when asked about it is just so sad to see. Afterwards he said he drank all day to escape the pain. He finally did seek help and he found joy other than alcohol while still keeping ties to wrestling with his daughter's success.

It's like we see too often in sports. To these athletes, sports is their life. I've heard countless stories of coaches, athletes who love the game and then they retire and they can't stay away. It's that thrill, it's something in the sport that keeps them going. Of course most people wouldn't take it to the degree that Flair did which is make it their on, and off-field persona.

It kinda ended on a downer with all the Reid stuff. 

That was the best Hogan has been portrayed in years.

Kinda felt like there was an entire documentary left behind on the wrestling, cuz it wasnt really about that.  

Road Warrior Animal looked like an idiot in the facepaint.  Even Taker didnt bother with kayfabe.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Still crazy to see ESPN (hell the mainstream in general) and Wrestling together. Even I'm old enough to remember when people would make jokes on air at ESPN back in the day

I'm old enough to remember watching the AWA and GWF on ESPN after school back in the day.  They embraced wrestling for a while before they unembraced it.  

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You old af

I mean, yeah.  lol.  But this was only in the late 80s/early 90s.  I saw a lot of people for the first time in those days.  It was on the mothership, then they moved it to ESPN Classic after those federations folded.  It was only in the 2000s they really abandoned wrestling altogether.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I mean, yeah.  lol.  But this was only in the late 80s/early 90s.  I saw a lot of people for the first time in those days.  It was on the mothership, then they moved it to ESPN Classic after those federations folded.  It was only in the 2000s they really abandoned wrestling altogether.  

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I remember staying up until like 1 am watching GWF. That's actually when I saw the lightning kid (123-kid) for the first time so when he appeared and beat Razor I was extra excited :)

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I'm old enough to remember watching the AWA and GWF on ESPN after school back in the day.  They embraced wrestling for a while before they unembraced it.  

The AWA after school is when I first saw the Dingo Warrior (Ultimate Warrior). Pretty sure Sting was with him at that point too. 

21 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

The AWA after school is when I first saw the Dingo Warrior (Ultimate Warrior). Pretty sure Sting was with him at that point too. 

I remember seeing DDP and Raven on ESPN when they were just managers, never thinking they would become big stars in the ring.  

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

They also used to show classic "World Class Championship Wrestling" (Texas based) every day at 4pm.

ESPN was very different back then.

• Like 1