Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

18 hours ago, DM72 said:

Speaking of The Warrior. A while back I was watching an early match of his while he was teaming with Sting on the WWE Network. The commentator, yes, the commentator, suggested that The Warrior was on steroids. 

I had had never heard a commentator imply that someone was using steroids.

Hercules Hernandez used to cut promos where he would flex and say XXX ccs of whatever steroid he was injecting this week.

In that famous Doug Gilbert shoot promo where he said that Jerry Lawler raped 13 year old girls, Tommy Rich preceded that by talking about how the Spellbiinder would weight 150 pounds without "them steroids."

I don't recall announcers saying it much, but it would turn up in promos from time to time, especially in the south.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, DM72 said:

I've said this before, but I think Luger is actually underrated. Luger's had some really good matches.

Luger was very carryable. Honestly, out of all of Flair's opponents, Luger is one of my favorites. Those matches were different because Luger could do strongman stuff that most guys couldn't and because Flair's insane bumps looked realistic when bouncing off a Greek God as opposed to Ricky Morton.

I also don't think Luger was as lazy as most people thought. He didn't love wrestling, and I think that gets held against him. His biggest problem was always being a victim of circumstance, literally from day 1. He came into Florida as it was dying, and everyone saw stardom in him. He gets the call from Crockett and ends up in an insane match with a completely unprofessional Bruiser Brody. The Smart community loves Brody and hates Luger so he took the blame for someone else being unprofessional.

He goes to Crockett and instead of coming in as the hot heel or NWA Hogan, Dusty forces him into being the Horseman's "associate." Then Ole gets turfed, and he's the replacement in the group - which is never a good spot to be in. On top of that, Dusty absolutely eats him alive for no good reason at Starcade killing whatever heat he had. That goes nowhere and he's quickly turned babyface....which also goes nowhere as he forms a team with Windham and immediately gets turned on. So, he's a great looking schmuck for his first two years.

They finally really get behind him, and he has Flair beat for the title until he loses due to a tiny cut on his forehead. Dusty was running on fumes as a booker at this point, and Luger kept feeling the brunt of the bad decisions.

Under Turner, he steps aside to give Sting the number one babyface spot, and then Sting blows out his knee. Luger gets Sting's spot and instead of getting the win over Flair, he's counted out. Every time he gets close to Flair, he not only loses, he loses in the lamest way possible.

Then Luger gets caught in the idiocy of Flair and Jim Herd. Instead of beating Flair for the title, he beats Windham. And to make matters worse, they turn him heel in the middle of the match. This creates XPac heat where people are booing the heel, because they just want someone else. They decide to generate real heel heat by making him a racist in the Simmons' feud.

Then Luger ends up in his own nonsense with WCW and basically gets paid for not working for five months.

Finally after years of running in circles in WCW, he finally goes to Vince - the one guy in wrestling who knows how to sell a muscle-bound monster with some charisma to the public.

And Vince does this by putting him in the freaking WBF.

He then has a legit motorcycle accident.

He comes back in an awesome gimmick as the Narcissist and is aligned with Heenan. This should have been huge. But business was in the toilet, and Hogan was leaving, and Vince was looking at prison.

So, in desperation, Vince looks at his awful roster for the savior and decides that America will fall in love with Lex Luger after 7 years of just sort of being indifferent to him.

Here comes the Lex Express.

And the ridiculous win over Yoko by countout. Which is celebrated like a World Series win.

So, let's catch up. Luger has been on national tv for seven years at this point. He has failed to win the heavyweight title repeatedly in the most ridiculous ways. The one time he did win, he turned heel for no good reason and then stopped wrestling for a while.

This is where I give Luger praise. After he leaves, WWF, he comes back for the first Nitro. And the dude is on fire.

The angle with Sting where they are tag champs, but Luger is a heel behind Sting's back is amazing. I think that's the best angle Kevin Sullivan ever came up with.

He's really going great....and the NWO swallows everything.

But in all the NWO madness, one WCW babyface emerges. It's not Sting in the rafters. It's Luger in the ring. He finally beats Hogan with the torture rack, and the pop is insane. It's seriously the loudest I'd heard a WCW crowd until Goldberg beat Hogan in the Georgia Dome.

And then he has to lose it back right away because WCW needs to screw up Starcade with Sting.

That's basically ten years of bookers and circumstance just wrecking his career at every turn.

Imagine he comes into Crockett in 87 and goes on a mission to beat Flair and take the promotion into a new decade. Or he is made a monster heel who does not need the help of four sort of flabby rednecks to win matches. Or he is allowed to be a face champion once.

• Thanks 2

I was glad to see that the Ric Flair plane crash in Wilmington, NC made the 30 for 30 show. Wilmington is my home town and it was big news in our town. I was so fortunate to see all the big stars in Wilmington at legion Stadium! It was a golden age of Wrestling. I got to speak with Mr. Crockett one time. He wanted to know how I was enjoying the show and the matches. I told him everything looked great but told him the Ring looked a lot smaller in person then on TV,

We would see the original Four Horsemen of Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, Ole and Arn Anderson and JJ. Dillion, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Chief Wahoo Mcdaniels, The Rock and Roll Express, Sgt Slaughter. We also saw the Steiners and The Varsity Club with Kevin Sullivan and also Rowdy Roddy Piper and all the other big stars of the NWA.

Their really wasn't a bad match because even the warm up matches were for the TV Title or for the Mid Atlantic Championship,

Edited by Gallen5862
  • Like 2

I haven't seen the 30 for 30 yet. However years ago, WWE put out a 3 disc DVD on Flair. It's the only pro rasslin DVD I've ever bought besides the two ECW One Night Stand ppv's The Flair DVD is on the Network & well worth the watch if you've got an afternoon to kill. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Are you saying this is alarming?

All natural.

Off topic (sort of) but remember David Boston. He was a really good WR and then one year he all of a sudden reported to training camp looking like this.

2495d1064528824-david-boston-causing-sti

And the NFL was like, "Hey, that's great. You've got some huge arms. You can't play wide receiver anymore now though so peace."

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Anyone else tired of the WWE rolling out the has beens and senior citizens for pay per views? Shane and Kurt Angle will wrestle at Survivor Series. Now Triple H will wrestle. Retire already. You had your time. Let the real wrestlers wrestle.

They got nothin' though. The main champion, Brock Lesnar, pretty much fits into that same category. At least he's matched up against a fresh face in AJ Styles... Except that AJ is actually older than Brock. I don't know what they can do though... Give the belt to a scrub like Jinder Mahal? If they try to make somebody the face of the company, the crowd is instantly going to hate that person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

They got nothin' though. The main champion, Brock Lesnar, pretty much fits into that same category. At least he's matched up against a fresh face in AJ Styles... Except that AJ is actually older than Brock. I don't know what they can do though... Give the belt to a scrub like Jinder Mahal? If they try to make somebody the face of the company, the crowd is instantly going to hate that person.

Yes on Lesnar.  Waste of time in my opinion.

They got to learn to develop new talent then.  I mean fans love wrestling.  They moved on from Hogan/Flair/Warrior to Austin/Rock/HHH.  They will move on to the new guys.  There are some good characters, but they need to develop them. 

Kane has been fighting again.  Big Show needs to retire.  He can barely move. 

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

They’ve never been great at developing talent. Back in the day, they would just swoop in and steal the top guys from all the regional promotions. Hogan already had 7 years in the business before his big push.

For the record, I'm not one of those nut-bags that think this is real or that my life hinges on these characters. I like to sit and watch on Monday and Tuesday for pure entertainment and laughs.  In the long run, it doesn't really matter to me.  This is not serious stuff for me, but I don't mind discussing it because it's fun.

:cheers:

5 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Yes on Lesnar.  Waste of time in my opinion.

They got to learn to develop new talent then.  I mean fans love wrestling.  They moved on from Hogan/Flair/Warrior to Austin/Rock/HHH.  They will move on to the new guys.  There are some good characters, but they need to develop them. 

Kane has been fighting again.  Big Show needs to retire.  He can barely move. 

They did move on, but Edge and Punk are gone, Jeff Hardy doesnt have much left, Cena has one foot out the door and nobody gives a crap about Orton anymore.

They have plenty of potential stars, but until they start making money like the old heads, the old heads will keep coming back getting the prime PPV spots.

Pro wrestling is dying a slow death. None of these new stars really move the needle. 

I remember back in the day, you wanted to see guys like Flair/Four Horsemen, Hogan, Sting, the Road Warriors, Rock and Roll Express, Macho Man, Dusty, The Rock, Stone Cold, Shawn Micheals and Bret Hart live in the arenas. Is there anybody, maybe outside of Styles, that you say, "I really want to see this guy live?"

49 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Pro wrestling is dying a slow death. None of these new stars really move the needle. 

I remember back in the day, you wanted to see guys like Flair/Four Horsemen, Hogan, Sting, the Road Warriors, Rock and Roll Express, Macho Man, Dusty, The Rock, Stone Cold, Shawn Micheals and Bret Hart live in the arenas. Is there anybody, maybe outside of Styles, that you say, "I really want to see this guy live?"

*Maybe* Braun Strowman but you know they’ll find a way to underutilize him.  I know Survivor Series isn’t a big deal as PPVs go, but who cares about Kane at this point?

30 minutes ago, HooHog said:

*Maybe* Braun Strowman but you know they’ll find a way to underutilize him.  I know Survivor Series isn’t a big deal as PPVs go

Shame. I remember back in the day when the top ppv's were WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series, and King of The Ring

Broken Matt... I knew you'd come. :)

http://popculture.com/wwe/2017/11/29/anthem-impact-releases-legal-grip-matt-hardy-can-be-broken-in-ww/

Impact Wrestling Releases Legal Grip: Matt Hardy can be 'Broken' in WWE

By JACK SNODGRASS - November 29, 2017

After Matt Hardy suffered a loss to Bray Wyatt on RAW he had a moment where he unhinged, awakened, stirred, or shattered, but no one was sure if he had actually 'Broken.' But, for the first time since returning to WWE at WrestleMania 33, Matt Hardy can finally (legally) be 'Broken.'

Anthem Sports and Entertainment, the company that owns Impact Wrestling released a statement to Sports Illustrated today that announced they will allow Hardy to use the beloved character.

“We have seen the character development and will be interested to see where they take the concept. Our new talent agreements all incorporate language that allows talent to continue to use their IMPACT persona after they leave the company. We are working with our legal team to amend our existing agreements to extend this to all of our current and former talents.”

Until now, Anthem hadn't budged on their stance against Hardy using their intellectual property. Frankly, as time continued to pass, it looked like the cult classic personals of Broken Matt and Brother Nero would just be remembered as the last good thing TNA ever did. While that still may prove to be true, we now can assume that these characters will be revived in WWE.

However, don't be too surprised if WWE tweaks the Broken brothers just a little. WWE typically polishes or at least slightly repackages nearly all of their acquisitions. So while they'll certainly be acting Broken, WWE may call them something like that (Hardy himself has already been using #WOKEN) But then again, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Bobby Roode all got to keep their names from previous employers, so we'll just have to wait and see.

If anything, this should be a moment of catharsis for the Hardy family. To their credit, they were relentless in their efforts to keep their Broken dreams alive. Even while on WWE television, Matt seemed to toe the line of what was legally acceptable just to keep his creation relevant to the wrestling world. Their dedication certainly paid off, and hopefully, we get to see these memorable characters manifest to their fullest in WWE.

• Like 1