Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How generous do you consider Bill Gates?

endzone_dave

I read this article about Bill Gates in Time last weekend which portrays Bill and his wife almost as saints. My question is can somebody who has $60 billion who gives away half of their money and still has $30 billion still be considered saintly? The guys lives a lifestyle of pure luxury, there is nothing at all the guys doesn't have. I would reference the old widow in the Bible that gave away her last cent as being incredibly generous. Not someone who leaves himself $30 billion to live on.

Kudos to Bill for being more generous than the typical billionaire. Is he incredibly generous? Not in my opinion.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186811,00.html

Every year malaria kills 1 million people—most of them African children under age 5. When Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, 50, and his wife Melinda, 41, were looking for ways to give away their prodigious wealth, they assumed that such monumental problems were being worked on. Instead, Melinda says, they found a "vacuum that does need to be stepped into."

Step they did: the Gates Foundation now provides more than a third of the world's entire malaria-research funding, and it's paying off. The most effective drug to treat the disease, naturally occurring artemisinin, is in devastatingly short supply. But last month Gates-funded scientists announced that they had created the technology to manufacture artemisinic acid synthetically. Within five years, the cost of a lifesaving supply is expected to drop from $2.40 to 25 cents. Lead researcher Jay Keasling says it would not have been possible without a $43 million Gates grant. "I had companies call me and say, 'This is great, but we can't give you any money. We can't make a profit on this,'" he says.

But even if millions are saved from malaria, there will be more diseases and more death. The Gateses' most profound influence has been to change expectations. Their belief that every life should have equal value, backed by their $29 billion endowment in the foundation, has injected hope not only into global health but also into their other priorities: public education, public libraries and at-risk families. The couple demands from grantees the same relentless focus on results expected of Microsoft employees and takes away the classic excuse for failure: not enough money. They have inspired others—from medical students, who are entering global-health fields in unprecedented numbers, to governments, which are putting billions into Gates initiatives. Says Jimmy Carter: "This is the most important foundation in the world.

Not only is it very generous, you need to consider that if his ultimate goal is to be as generous as possible, it would actually be ungenerous to give more.

In a capitalist society, money makes money. By keeping 30 billion, he has the leverage to make more money to donate later. Giving away all 60 billion would seem to be the most generous on the surface, but it would leave him in a position to do absolutely nothing in the future.

Yea ive seen that time too. He is a good person, pretty much a dork though

I could handle being called a dork for the salary he has. Even with all of his endorsements and royalties, Michael Jordan could live to be 250 years old and still not make as much money as "The Dork.":laugh:

As far as the topic goes, there is nothing that says that Gates has to give a dime of his money away, other than taxes of course. He gave away HALF of his income, and he did it with out crying about feeding his family.:doh: I don't know of any business, individual, or church that gives away HALF of their income. That is more than generous in my eyes.

I believe he and his wife realized that money can buy all material things and not really be satisfied.

If that money can be used for mankind than that is where satisfaction can occur. He already this educational endowements where he funds inner city schools with millions. And probably more that I don't know about.....

Over the past couple of years he has really changed my impression of him...not the company but as a person....

The best cure for Malaria is DDT. Damn shame the US and the UN threw the baby out with the bathwater when they banned the safest pesticide (and best) ever developed. And heaven help any poor Malaria ridden country that decides they're going to break that ban (See the threats that stopped Uganda from doing so). Oh and yes he's generous. I have to agree that keeping the 30 billion in the long run is more effective than giving it all away at once . Money makes money.

We would not be even having this discussion if Bill Gates hadn't given money to charity to begin with.

What about the 2nd richest guy in the world? How much money did he give last year? Do you hold him in the same regard?

Saying he is not generous because he didn't give enough is a ridiculous statement.

Bill Gates is the biggest philanthropist of all time. Ever.

Not only did he give the Bill Gates Foundation a $30 billion endowment, but he's given it enough exposure and infrastructure with that kind of scratch, that it brings in billions more from others. Also, its one of the best run charities in the world. Add to that all of the time he and his wife give to these causes.

Bill Gates IS a saint in my opinion. No one would have said a thing if he only gave a billion or 2. (hey, its only a coupla BILLION dollars :laugh: )

Of course, he's still satan in the board room. :evil:

I read this article about Bill Gates in Time last weekend which portrays Bill and his wife almost as saints. My question is can somebody who has $60 billion who gives away half of their money and still has $30 billion still be considered saintly? The guys lives a lifestyle of pure luxury, there is nothing at all the guys doesn't have. I would reference the old widow in the Bible that gave away her last cent as being incredibly generous. Not someone who leaves himself $30 billion to live on.

I understand your point. By the worlds standards yes he is generous. I myself have wondered why "professional" athletes who make millions, get all of this press when they donate time or like $5000 to a charity? HELLO! You make 7 million dollars a year!:mad:

I would like to hear about some pro basketball or football player dropping a cool 3 million or something on Feed the Children. That's newsworthy.:)

I would certainly consider that generous. From what I've read, he's a pretty down to earth guy. Drives an Oldsmobile or something like that, flys commercial coahc, no private jet. I guess when you're the richest man in the world you don't feel the need to show off as much. :whoknows:

I would certainly consider that generous. From what I've read, he's a pretty down to earth guy. Drives an Oldsmobile or something like that, flys commercial coahc, no private jet. I guess when you're the richest man in the world you don't feel the need to show off as much. :whoknows:
He also lives in constant fear of someone kidnapping his family for ransom. Ever heard about his security?

NO THANK YOU. I'll live my ordinary middle class life.

I think people hold Bill Gates to a different standard than others among the uber-rich for two reasons -- 1) he's one of the most recognizable figures in the Western world and 2) he has a well-documented history of ethically suspect predatory business practices, which make him reviled by many.

Personally, I think anyone with billions of dollars is doing the world an enormous disservice by not using a significant portion of it for the greater good, so for that, I commend him. But I'm with endzone_dave, in the sense that if I had $60 billion, I would give away $59.5 billion just as quick as you can blink.

I can't believe people are pissed he ONLY gave 30 Billion to charity. 30 BILLION!!!! Damn, let the guy keep some of his money. Think about he was able to give 30 Billion to charity and insure that nobody in his family has to work for about 100 generations. Sweedt.

i agree. bill and his wife are extremely generous. i guess you're a steve jobs kinda guy dave? :whoknows:

I can't quote sigs. But my vote for greatest sig ever goes to Leonard Washington's new one. Had me in tears. :laugh:

Has it occurred to anyone that it isn't that easy to give away $60 billion to worthy causes? You don't solve problems just by throwing money at them; you need good people to manage charities and to manage the money.

Every charity needs money, but not every charity is going to know what to with a billion dollars. Gates had to set up his own foundation that has to decide between many worthy causes before just handing everyone a check.

He still has a lot of years in his life and plenty of time to give away that next 30 billion. I would much prefer that he considers his options carefully rather than blindly donating to anyone that wants his cash.

Archived