Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Is your "Hope" limited to just having so.ething resembling a cohesive, functioning organization, or simply winning the big one? Because for me, the two are very different animals.

Neither, one game at a time.

It used to be stuff was so bad in my life I hoped for some good news every Sunday.  My hope is they try as hard as I did, failed sometimes, too.  I do want them to be respectable organizations and get rings,  of course, and I have no problem going off on them about it.  

It's tough to explain, 10 years ago I was expelled from school and living in my car. Now I'm working on my masters and doing cybersecurity for the feds. Considering the odds, I preferred hope even if there was a chance I was wrong.  I'm also far more weary of the alternative considering the bipolar depression, I don't like that place, even with sports.

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

cybersecurity is for the cool people. Trendy field now. Wish I could get into that. 

Thanks.

If you have a computer with a dual core processor and at least 4GB of ram, you can.  It does take patience, but if you can virtualize and got internet, there really isn't much you can't practice with a laptop. 

It's why I want to see it more in inner city schools, it doesn't require the same cost in training tools if other fields, but incredible bang for your buck with say a couple programming videos 

9 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Probably going to hide in the Tysons Corner mall from 5 to 8 today or until the kids dissipate and stop begging for candy. Seriously. I just want to sit at home and watch TV. Why do I have to get the doorbell? 

I find that putting a sign in my front yard that says "child sexual predator " helps keep the kids away on Halloween, or any other day.

32 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I find that putting a sign in my front yard that says "child sexual predator " helps keep the kids away on Halloween, or any other day.

Front flap jammies, child predator “joke” sign... fbi May be trick or treating at your house tonight 

49 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

no trick-or-treaters yet.  I even left a hand-written note on my door saying "Free Candy".  What more could I do to be welcoming to little kids?

Probably something related to Fortnite, if they're anything like my nephew. Might have to deadbolt your doors...

17 minutes ago, PCS said:

Pleasantly surprised with the number of trick or treaters that stopped by tonight. Lot's of compliments on the decorations and the opportunities to meet new neighbors in the area. Good fun. :)

Yeah, we had quite a few, mostly younger kids, though some older ones later.  I was a bit worried we might run out of candy, but they stopped coming around 8 or so.  There were a few compliments about some new decorations we got at the last minute (a projector for our garage door showing a spider web and spiders, a talking pumpkin, a skeletal fish and some other things).  There were some cool costumes, although it seemed like they were less distinct than usual, though a few were easy to tell what they were like deadpool or a floppy dinosaur.  Last year I thought we got a lot less kids though, but the year before we ran out of candy and had to turn people away....

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It used to be stuff was so bad in my life I hoped for some good news every Sunday.  My hope is they try as hard as I did, failed sometimes, too.  I do want them to be respectable organizations and get rings,  of course, and I have no problem going off on them about it.  

It's tough to explain, 10 years ago I was expelled from school and living in my car. Now I'm working on my masters and doing cybersecurity for the feds. Considering the odds, I preferred hope even if there was a chance I was wrong.  I'm also far more weary of the alternative considering the bipolar depression, I don't like that place, even with sports.

What type of certifications do you have. OSCP. Sec+.

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Well this is a depressing halloween.  It's 11:00 and zero candy given out.

I just went across the street to the brewery. I came home around 7:30 and kept the lights off.I could hear the kids across the other street hit the townhouses for candy but they didn't really come here. 

Man I would get that game but I got too much to do these days plus I don't like how they play on a console. I remember getting GTA V when it first came out for Xbox 360. The controls were just too hard on a console. And then when it came out for PC I was able to beat the game 

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Swag.  Keep shining, brother. 

"I call you son (sun) 'cause you shine like one."  -- Method Man, Wu-Tang Killer Bee

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

What type of certifications do you have. OSCP. Sec+.

A+

Network+

Security+

Microsoft Database Fundamentals

Linux+

Just since I started school back in 08 its obvious Security+ has replaced A+ as defacto entry level IT cert, thats how much an influence cybersecurity by itself is having on the IT field.  I'd tell anyone no matter where they are starting if they ain't have one, get it.  It's not very technical, but some employers are so desperate for people with this cert they overlook experience and even give you 3-6 months to pass it after hiring you.

The OSCP/CEH conversation is straight tormenting me.  I want OSCP even though I know it has only a 25% pass rate and I need to get better at programming (learning Python), but only need CEH to be eligible fo FedRAMP assessments and I'll be doing actual pen tests for federal agencies.  People I talk to in my company made clear they do NOT make the own exploits from scratch, it makes the OSCP for the immediate step in front of me overkill, but CEH has such a terrible reputation as a cert that doesn't prove you know how to do anything I don't want it.  Most people say get the money now and take the OSCP later, even Offensive Security themselves.

What you thinking?

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It be like that sometimes, some neighborhoods I know not to expect them, ask neighbors

My parents house hasn’t gotten trick-or-treaters since my siblings and i got older. Our house is at the very end of a long (probably half a mile) pipestem driveway, so we aren’t even visible from the street in our neighborhood. 

I had a couple friends over last night and we just decided to hang at the end of my driveway with a bowl of candy for anybody that made their way into our cul de sac in our neighborhood. Worked out pretty well :) 

Archived