Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Stuff like broccoli and green beans and such is pretty safe I would argue. I'm not taking about chicken or eggs or fish or anything like that.

I mean, it isn't as though there is a magical timer on food that clicks over to "spoiled" on day 5 or whatever. It's a continuous process, the question is just where in the process you're comfortable with drawing the line.

Stuff like broccoli and green beans and such is pretty safe I would argue. I'm not taking about chicken or eggs or fish or anything like that.

I mean, it isn't as though there is a magical timer on food that clicks over to "spoiled" on day 5 or whatever. It's a continuous process, the question is just where in the process you're comfortable with drawing the line.

I think it's always best to follow the 2:4 rule.  If left out of refrigeration for 2 hours or less, put in fridge.  Eat by no longer than day 4.  Me personally, I don't go more than 2 days.  So I go by the 2:2 rule lol.

And same thing about freezing meats or chili, etc.  I still won't push the outer recommend limit.  

I think it's always best to follow the 2:4 rule. If left out of refrigeration for 2 hours or less, put in fridge. Eat by no longer than day 4. Me personally, I don't go more than 2 days. So I go by the 2:2 rule lol.

And same thing about freezing meats or chili, etc. I still won't push the outer recommend limit.

So much tracking going on here. Eye / smell test for me.

Chit! An even crazier thunderstorm just hit. Gusts had to be 80 mph. Power is out here, and all over the city. Surprised these trees out here didn't get uprooted. Thought some cars were gonna get tossed. Traffic lights are out, traffic is backed up. No tornado sirens at least. Have had a bit of a drought this summer, but the past 12 hours has been a good reminder that I live in ****edupville.

I usually never eat leftovers to begin with.  But when I do, it's planned, like making chili, or pulled pork/chicken, etc.  When I fire up the charcoal grill, I make sure I maximize the effort.  I'll usually cook what we are going to eat that day for lunch/dinner and cook something for the next meal (dinner that night or lunch the next day). because if I fire it up for just hot dogs, it's a waste of coals if that's all I cook.

Very rarely do I eat leftovers from restaurants either.  Most of the time, it's planned.  Like I will order a to-go order of wings or order twice the amount I eat for one meal, put them in the fridge and eat the next day.  

I'm a simple man.

All im gonna say is that we all grew up with parents, etc that left different impressions on us for how long certain foods are "okay" in the refrigerator. After being on my own, and strictly following FDA guidelines on how I eat and store food, its led to better overall health and food quality.

Im pretty sure I've never seen canned green beans/broccoli (or largely anything else cooked and then refrigerated for that matter) listed beyond 5 days good, but you're right... You won't likely get a visit from the girl from The Ring and drop dead on day 7 (doesn't mean it isn't a risk, either, depending on how and in what kind of environment one stores their food, since bacteria begans to grow everyday its in there), or lose the great taste in the food, but I personally have chosen (even for the most innocuous of refrigerated goods) to err on the side of caution, because those listings are there for a reason, and I think one should value the advice of a company who's sole purpose is to make sure that you are eating properly prepared/safe food, and that you know the process that goes into how that is determined, vs someone (hypothetically speaking) that suggests that its okay to eat beyond a certain point, basically because they do and nothing bad has ever happened to them.

Well thats how they did it in the old days. And thats also how (after reading more and more works based on those days over the years) people walked around with seemingly eternal bubble guts.

You guys must waste a lot of food.

Nah. We generally don't cook enough to go for more than 2-3 days tops since its just two people. And anything else like frozen type foods and canned goods, are generally eaten within a 24hr period, if not immediately.

Even when my family was together, in a house of 5 people, stuff got gone pretty quickly most of the time.

Stuff that did stay around, was not wasted, unfortunately. And sometimes my mom would leave stuff sitting out.

You guys must waste a lot of food. 

LOL!

ANYTHING kept at proper temps can last at least 4-5 days. (General rule in the industry is nothing between 40-140 for over 4 hours, I usually go only 2 hours to be safe).   Hubby's quinoa and veggies stay good the entire week...I usually make a big batch of each on Mondays when I'm off...I may cook a couple of chicken breasts on the Foreman, and that's everything for the week.  Hubby used to be king of Ziploc baggies :angry: ...we went BPA free Rubbermaid, and now we're both happy.  :D  

I did try some of the Oscar Mayer super natural turkey dogs last week, and they were damn good at trying to imitate a real hot dog, so I may keep that up.  (And I made a meatloaf with ground turkey, it lasted about an hour.) :)  

Oh, and Vidalia onions get added to everything while they're in season... ;)

Been doing grilled cheese with onions & tomatoes, with vegetable soup...but I had a breakdown last night & bought Steak-ums (they claim to be all-natural now, as opposed to pink slime :lol: )...and without ALL the nastiness, they were good & disappointing at the same time :( .

I'm terrible at meal planning and have winged it my entire life.  I just have no idea what I'll be hungry for on Wednesday, so mass cooking on Sundays just isn't for me.  Plus that technically makes every single meal "leftovers" and I'd rather have a freshly made meal.  #firstworldprobs

My mom's forte is cooking, it's her biggest hobby aside from arguing. She made it a point for there to be leftovers. We'd be sick from eating too much and we'd only be done with half of it. She singlehandedly made my dad a fat man. Big belly on the man, beach ball.

I had to keep my cardio on point back in the day, cuz I would've ended up the same way.

Now I'm a health nut and make the same 10-ish meals in different ways over and over again. Not many leftovers, but recently I've been cooking enough chicken breasts for there to be leftovers in the morning. Chicken breast and a protein shake for breakfastes lately, lol.

I'm terrible at meal planning and have winged it my entire life.  I just have no idea what I'll be hungry for on Wednesday, so mass cooking on Sundays just isn't for me.  Plus that technically makes every single meal "leftovers" and I'd rather have a freshly made meal.  #firstworldprobs

You can always bake 2 or 3 potatoes, refrigerate, and you have 'em for the week...heat when you want 'em.  Decide you want fries?  The potatoes are cooked, just slice 'em when they're cold, season, and throw 'em in the toaster oven, they'll be crispy in a jiffy (keep an eye on 'em, of course, unless you like burnt edges, like we do).

I've been on a mission lately to get rid of everything in the house, and restock, so I'm making **** out of nothing, haha

Staple points of meal planning...salad, onions, frozen veggies, soup mixes (onion, cream of celery/broccoli/mushroom)...potatoes (both bakers & sweets), and milk products(cheeses are key to me, gotta have 'em, in all different varieties).  I can do anything will all of that.  You'll get a veggie casserole, a salad, and OH MY GOD...some King's Hawiian rolls.  You will live without meat. <But if you want, that's all you have to deal with on the daily...everything else can be done ahead of time.>

Expiration dates on food and meds can suck it. I'm tougher than that.

I get what you're saying, but not even remotely the same thing, at least concerning meds. You can take those years after they "Expire" a lot of perishable stuff can also last well past the expiration date. Some refrigerated stuff with a date on it can certainly go bad before it expires.

Also, there's essentially zero regulation of expiration dates except for baby food. Manufacturers can put whatever the heck they want. In the case of vinegar for example, the idea that it's going to go bad in 3 years is nonsense. They just put an expiration date on it because A) the public wants to see one and B ) it will probably convince some people to buy more product if their old has "expired".

Obviously for some foods expiration is a very real thing, but the date the manufacturer gives isn't required to be based on anything in particular.

Sin, if you have links to the articles you were talking about related to research on health implications I would love to see them.

Honey has an expiration date. ****ing honey.

It can never ever ever go bad. Ever.

They just found some a thousand years old in a tomb. Guess what? Good honey.

Yeah and vinegar. What's my white wine vinegar going to become? Vinegarer?

I get what you're saying, but not even remotely the same thing, at least concerning meds. You can take those years after they "Expire" a lot of perishable stuff can also last well past the expiration date. Some refrigerated stuff with a date on it can certainly go bad before it expires.

meds just get weaker. It's all pet meds that I've got, but I'd take it.

Yogurt most definitely goes bad.

Archived