Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Soooooo...

What's the best way to get out of jury duty?

How does it work where you're at?  In my county in NC, you get pulled for a jury pool for one week, so you report and sit there and see if you will be called upon.  If called upon, you can just make some **** up against the case. 

Example from my week of duty:  one of the cases for mine was a driving under the influence of illegal substances (other than alcohol), they called up one chick and she went the hell off saying stuff like her best friend got killed by a drunk driver and there was no reason for anyone to drive under the influence of any drug or alcohol, etc. and in record seconds the lawyer for the defense yells out, "She's done, get her out of here." and the judge told her to leave :rofl89:

She didn't have to report the rest of the week.  

2 hours ago, China said:

116 years ago today:

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1903/

On December 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright made four brief flights at Kitty Hawk with their first powered aircraft. The Wright brothers had invented the first successful airplane.

I live right under the landing path of Tulsa International, and the boys from Tulsa Air National Guard Base are routinely doing exercises above me.  F-16C and F16D fighters, AWACS radar planes, C-130s.  I also see P-51 Mustangs and B-17s cruising in the summer.  Love it.  Miss seeing the state of the art **** back home.  Ospreys, Stealth Bombers, the row of Chinooks carrying VIPs.  Still, cool stuff flying around here.  Passenger jets roughly 5,000 feet when they're directly above me.

We really do probably take it for granted living here just how much stuff is in the area. My pops worked at thePentagon back in the day, and we lived not all that far from Andrew's AFB. Then of course there was a Secret Service Testing facility not far from us. You can just throw a rock and hit something important here, in any direction. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

We really do probably take it for granted living here just how much stuff is in the area. My pops worked at thePentagon back in the day, and we lived not all that far from Andrew's AFB. Then of course there was a Secret Service Testing facility not far from us. You can just throw a rock and hit something important here, in any direction. 

Absolutely.  And to build on that, some people and children today (post internet generation) take for granted just how convenient everything is and how far we have come along technologically.  We live in a world where you can do everything, for the most part, on a cell phone.

Online shopping, grocery deliveries, paying bills, interacting with friends via social media/face-time/text/etc., 24-7 access to news and just about topic you want to discuss or research.  When I have to take away my daughters phone and/or other electronics (TV, Nintendo Switch, etc.) she always starts moaning about how bored she is.

I'm like kiddo, you have no idea what really being bored is like.  Try getting forced for a ride to the mountains by your dad immediately after sitting in church for an hour (at a Baptist church in the south).  Only thing you have is a church bulletin (which already was filled up with tic-tac-toe games, etc. while sitting in church) and a pencil.  And then being in a car for another two hours, up the mountain, then back down the mountain.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Absolutely.  And to build on that, some people and children today (post internet generation) take for granted just how convenient everything is and how far we have come along technologically.  We live in a world where you can do everything, for the most part, on a cell phone.

Online shopping, grocery deliveries, paying bills, interacting with friends via social media/face-time/text/etc., 24-7 access to news and just about topic you want to discuss or research.  When I have to take away my daughters phone and/or other electronics (TV, Nintendo Switch, etc.) she always starts moaning about how bored she is.

I'm like kiddo, you have no idea what really being bored is like.  Try getting forced for a ride to the mountains by your dad immediately after sitting in church for an hour (at a Baptist church in the south).  Only thing you have is a church bulletin (which already was filled up with tic-tac-toe games, etc. while sitting in church) and a pencil.  And then being in a car for another two hours, up the mountain, then back down the mountain.

My mom used to to head up some Mary K convention in downtown Miami back in the day during her downtime. Imagine being dragged to that **** and being in a room full of gump ass women trying on makeup and other beauty products.

I was like 4-5 so I dont even remember if they were hot or not. Was probably an hour or so, but felt like an eternity. 

That's most of what I remember as a tyke.... Our parents dragging us to grown folks places and just being bored af.

Modern technology has made true boredom impossible.

14 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

How does it work where you're at?  In my county in NC, you get pulled for a jury pool for one week, so you report and sit there and see if you will be called upon.  If called upon, you can just make some **** up against the case. 

About the same.

There's a questionnaire the first day so the lawyers can weed people out they won't want to keep around.

Think one question asks if I have any friends or family in law enforcement, which I do. So hopefully I'll be sent home day 1 too.

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Best cities to visit for a group of friends vacation to Europe? We're thinking Athens but no direct flights from Dulles is kind of a turn off.

Reykjavik is a blast, but hardly encompasses the full Euro experience.  We’re planning an Oslo/Stockholm/Copenhagen jaunt this summer.  Everybody raves about Copenhagen.

So umm, apparently Remember The Titans was a bunch of bull****.

My bro-in law sent me this, after news that the real Herman Boone died yesterday. I didn't know any of this. So disappointing.  This is why I've never really been a fan of "Based on a true story/events" films. It always ends up that way.

Better if you do something like Titanic or The Patriot. Tell your own story within the framework of nonfiction

45 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My bro-in law sent me this, after news that the real Herman Boone died yesterday. I didn't know any of this. So disappointing.  This is why I've never really been a fan of "Based on a true story/events" films. It always ends up that way.

Better if you do something like Titanic or The Patriot. Tell your own story within the framework of nonfiction

My Pops (RIP) played LB for Annandale High School in the mid-60s.  His hatred for TC Williams and that movie very nearly granted him life from beyond the grave.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, the movie is a whole bunch of BS.  They weren't the scrappy underdogs that barely won each game in the face of racism for being the first integrated school, but rather they were the school that absorbed two other schools and had a gigantic pool of students to draw talent from and put together a dominating team that easily wiped the floor with everyone.

Of course Titanic had its own problem where it slandered the reputation of a real-life person who was on that boat.

And The Patriot had the problem where Mel Gibson didn't impale anybody with the American Flag.  Even at the end when he was sprinting down the battle-field with flag in hand.  Seriously, I was getting so excited for it and then it didn't happen.  What a let-down.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, I found out about that a few years ago in here actually.  Someone made the comment that a lot of the movie was fictional.  Few characters were purely fictional, waking the team up at 3am to run to the graveyard, Ronnie Bass kissing Gary, etc.  

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/rememberthetitans.php

I actually find it disturbingly humorous that the real Boone started "playing" Denzel's character version of himself in public speaking events.  Anything for a buck I guess :ols:

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's so shameful, man 😂. Good lord.

Both it and Friday Night Lights now. 

Gonna have to check out the Friday Night Lights thing now.  I was always pretty sure things were exaggerated as most of the time they are in movies, didn't know it was on some Remember The Titans (RTT too lol) level inaccuracies. 

Archived