Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wise - After a Shove, a Fall From Grace (Lavar Shouting Match w/Coach after Sat game)

JimmiJo

"I can't figure out who is right and who is wrong in this situation, but it just plain sucks. I've enjoyed watching LA with the team -- his heart and passion are out there for everyone to see, and it *seems* like he was all set to have a good long career here.

But at this point, barring some sort of turnaround in the player/team relationship, I hope he goes somewhere next year where he can tear $*@% up. I know I'd keep an eye on him just to see some of those explosive plays he can create.

Hell, send him to Detroit for Charles Rogers or something.

Anyway, at least we have a guy like Sean Taylor who brings that same level of excitement and anticipation to the game. Who is he going to blow up next?!?!"

nice post. I'ld like to see him go to an NFC East team - we get a crack at him twice a year and he gets a crack at us twice a year. if we're that good let's find out the manly way - on the field. Let's take this to its final conclusion!

he's a distraction - send him to the Boys for a second or 3rd round pick and let's see what happens.

Okay, let me get this straight. Lavar calls Danny a thief, liar, and a crook. Sues him. Goes to the press and tells everyone that Snyder is all of above and you don't think it would impact their personal relationship? How would you react if you chose him over Champ to receive the big salary, treated the guy like family, then he goes shouting to everyone that you're a louse, a thief, and a cheat. Wouldn't that impact how you felt about the guy personally.

As far as if that impacted how he was treated on the field I don't know, but it was the beginning of strained feelings between some fans and Lavar.

I don't know if you are responding to what I posted, but the owner has a different set of standards. Obviously, Lavar caused the relationship to fail. I am not saying Snyder should invite Lavar over for dinner or anything, but treating players with simple professionalism is what an owner should do regardless if they like them or not. If Dale Lindsey wants to yell and berate Lavar for not getting the job done, great. The owner should set himself apart and above the rest of the team.

Concerning Lavar's status. Lavar is done as a member of the Washington Redskins. The only question is how are the skins going to treat him in the off-season. I hope they allow him to seek a trade and get a draft pick/player for him. I hope they don't wait until June/Jule to release him. I think they will trade him.

Wow....Nothing really new here except for maybe the altercation. What bothers me about the approach is that there are some players on the team who support him and this could damage the relationships with them. Im confident in this defensive coaching stafff though... very confident.

As a wise friend of mine once told me.... There's comes a point when someone will just not shut their mouth, that you just have to shut it for them.

I prefer 9-6 and treating LaVar like garbage to 5-11 treating him like the man. Who's with me?

I guess I would. But I'd have to ask the question, why are a 9-6 record and treating LaVar like *a* man (as opposed to *the* man) mutually exclusive?

Maybe it's part and parcel of the New England approach wherein Belichick doesn't really give a rat's ass about any of his players from a roster standpoint.

I went through the same thing in college. My coach was an unbelievable tyrant. Some people responded positively to his abuse. Others, like myself, regressed and played poorly because you spend so much time thinking about doing the right thing. Anyone that has played at a high level of competition will tell you flat out that doesn't work in any real game time situation. When this particuliar coach got off my ass and actually "coached" to the situation I excelled and became the player and leader they wanted me to be. Different strokes for different folks. Sadly, this defensive staff doesn't see it that way and would rather run our greatest talent on defense out of town rather than find a common ground.

Lindsey has been the same way dating all the way back to when he coached the Bears LB's. Urlacher, Rosevelt Colvin and Holdman have nothing but praise for Lindsey because he's made them better as a player. If you can't take a little ass chewing then you're in the wrong business.

I've played at a high level in a different sport and I can tell you when you mess up not physically, but mentally you're going to get your ass handed to you. That's sports, if you can't take it then you need to get into basket weaving.

I remember watching him during the Giants game last week. While he had some good plays, I remember his running past the ball-carrier to get to the quarterback at least twice and his jumping offsides to try to anticipate the snap-count. He needs to shut his mouth and he needs to grow up!

I guess I would. But I'd have to ask the question, why are a 9-6 record and treating LaVar like *a* man (as opposed to *the* man) mutually exclusive?

Maybe it's part and parcel of the New England approach wherein Belichick doesn't really give a rat's ass about any of his players from a roster standpoint.

Simple.

Because LaVar views being treated like *a* man as a person who is not confronted on his mistakes and who is given everything without having to work for it. That's LaVar's view of being treated with respect. Anything short of that treatment to LaVar appears to be disrespect and he won't have it.

I WANT my coaching staff to be strong enough to get in the face of EVERY player on my favorite team and snap them back for their mistakes. If there's a fan of this team who hasn't YEARNED for the same thing for a dozen years, let me know, as I'm pretty sure none of you would sign up.

Why treat LaVar differently than every other player on the team is treated? Why avoid making calls to the sideline to tell him to focus better on his assignments just because he doesn't like it? What's wrong with you people?

I swear, maybe we should bring Marty back, have another player revolt, see Marty cave and finger the them against the coach mentality that works ONCE before a total blow up and you'd be happy? Or Norv being so weak everyone in the organization knew no player respected anything he said? Or having Spurrier who everyone knew wasn't really running things as Lewis was, but without the power to do enough?

ETC.

This team is starting to play with heart, pride and character for the first time in ages. And you guys want our fire-brand linebacker coach to buy LaVar roses and whisper sweetly to him to get a point across so LaVar feels more respected? LaVar will be respected when he's in the place he's supposed to be on EVERY down he plays. Not a moment before.

Dude imagine Lavar a COWBOY, now wouldn't that be fun. I'm sure JJ would go after him just to spite us. I can't wait to see him tear up the Skins offense next year when he's pissed off and all that. I don't see why the coaches can't talk to him and reassure him that it's ok and it's star mentality that is not tolerated. Seriously LA shd think abt his timing of friggin news articles. BTW I think it was an unbiased article by MW but the what the hell were they thinking????

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :2cents:

LA isn't the only one. The Skins have had these problems for years now. Oned can concede all the nuanced objections about non-team players, selfishness, etc. but the fcat remains that the team has been plagued by these problems for years. at some point one has to admit that this has two sides.

LA will be banished by whatever means next season and we will see whetehr the team has enough momentum and personnel smarts to move to the next level. either way - I'm sick of whiny players and I'm tired of a personnel/management/coaching staff that can't handle its problem children. it stinks all around.

Well, I mean, you can say what you want but the team has proven capable of moving to the next level even with his and Coles cap hits and all the others. Just imagine what this team can be if Gibbs ever get his own team on the field.

So what are you saying?

Dude imagine Lavar a COWBOY, now wouldn't that be fun. I'm sure JJ would go after him just to spite us. I can't wait to see him tear up the GL defense next year when he's pissed off and all that. I don't see why the coaches can't talk to him and reassure him that it's ok and it's star mentality that is not tolerated. Seriously LA shd think abt his timing of friggin news articles. BTW I think it was an unbiased article by MW but the what the hell were they thinking????

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :2cents:

Dude, this team would seriously exploit Lavar on any team. Put his ass on the Cowbois. Please.

It is intriguing a major thrust of the article suggests it is wrong for the team to move away from individual marketing of LaVar which is LaVar's big concern too. The team is on the brink of a successful season with minimal help from LaVar.

A smart guy asked in a column he wrote a while back...

I prefer 9-6 and treating LaVar like garbage to 5-11 treating him like the man. Who's with me?

I prefer a happy medium. I know some of what LaVar did was wrong. He is being paid millions, but I also think that Greg Williams and Greg Blanche are very arrogant. IMHO they are intelligent enough to be able to allow a certain level of comprimise for the greater good, THE TEAM. This is clear to me to be a case of contributory negligence. :2cents:

Few Points:

-Everyone worried about Lavar going to some NFC East team and destroying us is off their rocker. All the NFC East teams have good strong coaching and leadership and aren't going to take on a guy who can't stick to his assignments. He'll end up in Arizona or New Orleans, some place where they need a big name to boost ticket sales.

-In all likelyhood he wont' get release or dealt until after the June 1 date so we can spread out the cap hit over 2 years.

Also, there has been some good debate in this thread. Try to leave the whole 'you're not a real fan' stuff out of it. 99% of the posters on this site are huge Redskins fan, don't mistake not supporting Arrington as proof that deep down they are fairweather fans.

I loved the comment about how the Skins will most likely wait until mid-July to release Arrington, when most teams are out of cap room. Boo hoo. Doesn't he realize that until then, the Skins have to account for his massive contract and won't have much cap room themselves?

I still think it's possible that they'll trade him. Yes, that makes the cap hit gargantuan, but they'd get something in return.

That pissed me off, Lavar can't stand not being the center of attention. Luckily for him he has a legion of younger fans who think he's LT re-incarnate.

A lot of the "Lava Lovas" are in there 30's and 40's too. Don't try to make it seem like only young guys have been hyping LA.

All age groups seem to have those that can't seem to see the light in this situation.

For the record I have been one of the few who have been critical of LaVar for a long time. Even before these recent events.

I think the react proves that people here are going to continue to love/hate LaVar regardless of what the media, coaches, etc. say about him. Elfin writes a story and everyone rips LaVar. Wise writes what could be called a counterpoint piece taking the other side and everyone still rips LaVar.

Those who don't like him will continue to rip him. Those who do like him will continue to stay on their side of the fence. Neither side is going to budge. So my question is ... why have 100 threads a day about LaVar?

I prefer a happy medium. I know some of what LaVar did was wrong. He is being paid millions, but I also think that Greg Williams and Greg Blanche are very arrogant. IMHO they are intelligent enough to be able to allow a certain level of comprimise for the greater good, THE TEAM. This is clear to me to be a case of contributory negligence. :2cents:

Let's yield the fact that Williams and Blache are arrogant. Let's admit they are. My question is simple. So what?

Or, put a way I KNOW everyone can understand...

LaVar works for them. They don't work for LaVar. The employee caters his behavior to please his boss. You do it in your job. I do it in mine. For YEARS we were mad that players could end run the coaching staff and be more powerful than the staff. We were peeved the inmates were running the prison.

Now, ALL of you requesting the coaching staff treat LaVar with kid gloves are essentially begging for this organization to go back to the way of doing things when we sucked. What's the matter with you all?

Exactly man. People here are acting like they know whats been going on the whole time but the fact is the coaches have had problems with Lavar for most of 2005. He has probably been given the behind the scenes talks 1000 times and it didn't work.

I'm also in the military and I know exactly what you are talking about. You try to be the nice guy and let people have it easy but it backfires with a lot of people and they don't get it until everybody knows that you are cracking down on them. There are no excuses then because its out for all to see.

It has already been proven, though, that humiliating him changes his ways. He got with the program after watching games from the bench earlier and I bet he calibrates his attitude again after this.

This is not fact at all. The problem with you is that you get all your information from Extremeskins.com. You have to go outside the box man. Go to Redskins.com and check out GW's comments on Lavar. He says he is PROUD of Lavar for how he has handled things this season. Jeremiah Trotter was quoted this week about how he has heard that Lavar's professionalism and work ethic have changed dramatically. Lavar came on 980 this week and gave his teammates, coaches (he named lindsey specifically) much credit. Said there schemes were allowing them to win. Now the media comes out with some stuff and you bury Lavar. Leave the box, see all there is to see.

I think the react proves that people here are going to continue to love/hate LaVar regardless of what the media, coaches, etc. say about him. Elfin writes a story and everyone rips LaVar. Wise writes what could be called a counterpoint piece taking the other side and everyone still rips LaVar.

Those who don't like him will continue to rip him. Those who do like him will continue to stay on their side of the fence. Neither side is going to budge. So my question is ... why have 100 threads a day about LaVar?

That's not it at all Murf.

I LOVE LaVar. I think the world of him as a player. I can't believe how dominating he can be when he's healthy. He's a tremendous talent and remarkable player. I don't, however, want LaVar to continue allowing himself to feel he should be treated in a special way by this organization. He should devote himself to playing and doing EXACTLY what he's asked to do and when he fails to do that, he should allow that he'll be yelled at by a YELLING staff. Can you believe how many of his jerseys would sell if he'd simply be good enough to be an every down player again?

If he thinks it's bad here he should spend some time with the Tuna. One stare from Parcels and LaVar would fold like a two dollar napkin.

I guess he fails to realize that he is being paid to play the way the coaches want him to. The guy may be a physical specimen but inside he's just a big Millie. Either way LaVar needs a fresh start with a new team (Dallas hahaha). Next year he will be just another former Redskin that couldn't cut it here.

Can't really say that parting ways is a bad thing for either party. LaVar can go sit the bench somewhere else while the Redskins get on with the business of winning Super Bowls.

Archived