Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wise - After a Shove, a Fall From Grace (Lavar Shouting Match w/Coach after Sat game)

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/29/AR2005122901331.html

After a Shove, a Fall From Grace

By UnWise Mike

Friday, December 30, 2005; Page E01

What in all likelihood was LaVar Arrington's last day in the home locker room after a regular season game at FedEx Field featured an ugly shouting match in the training room with his position coach, Dale Lindsey. Arrington had grown tired of Lindsey, the linebackers coach, calling him from upstairs in the booth, berating him for missed assignments in a victory over the New York Giants on Saturday.

He finally hung up on Lindsey, and the feud carried over into the locker room, growing more profane and personal. It ended with Arrington telling Lindsey to "Back off!" and "Treat me like a man!" According to two persons privy to the altercation, the coach went a tad more overboard than the player.

"I was thinking, 'Enough already,' " said one player, on condition of anonymity. "Let LaVar be."

Click on link for more drama...

Funny, the story to me is what assignments was Arrington missing and why would he be accorded special treatmeant for not being confronted on his mistakes just because he's LaVar. When a team gets rid of the star treatment mentality it means all players are taken to the woodshed for mistakes. Williams spoke about practice leading up to the Giants game where he was UNDULY hard on a couple of guys who'd made mistakes in the first game.

This isn't a coaching staff that's going to sip tea and hold hands and hug to get a point across. They are going to rip you, demean you and BENCH you to do it. And I trust them so much more than I trust Arrington. Yeah. Too bad we didn't coddle him more.

What a crock of $hit. Arrington obviously dialed up one of his media friends and asked for a "spin" on the recent publicity. Arrington is outta here. I say send his a$$ packing as soon as this season is over. What a bum! Don't cry for me, Arringtina!

He's mad because he's not the face of the Redskins in the marketing campaigns? I'm glad this was revealed in the article because we want "team" guys on this squad, not "me" guys. Arrington can stand in front of cameras and preach the "we're all in this together" gospel, but it seems that he's all about Lavar.

Well, if LaVar wanted some sypathetic press, he sure got it here.

That's what I was thinking...they were definitely in his corner. The good part, tho, is that this wasn't an interview...lol

And again...I'll go with what Williams thinks of LaVar right now over what journalists speculate over. Game time and offseason will answer a lot.

That's what I was thinking...they were definitely in his corner. The good part, tho, is that this wasn't an interview...lol

And again...I'll go with what Williams thinks of LaVar right now over what journalists speculate over. Game time and offseason will answer a lot.

""No, the town never turned on me," he said, sitting in front of his locker at the team's practice facility in Ashburn on Wednesday. "They were always behind me. It was individuals. That's all I'm going to say.""

Yes - there WAS an interview.

Really hate to play the same old song here, but what stands out most to me is what a typical Post attack-piece this reads like. It's soaked with spin and skew to put things in their worst possible light (not that reality isn't harsh enough). I mean, read that thing. It's dripping with venom and side-taking. Blatantly. The Post folks who delight in repeatedly burying this hatchet in the Redskins' (snyder's) body must be rolling in glee at this opportunity to create a mess out of our first potential play-off appearacne in years. And Lavar facilitates their plan. Crist. I've said it before, but if any of you 40,000 members of this site actually buy this paper, you ought to stop.

What a crock of $hit. Arrington obviously dialed up one of his media friends and asked for a "spin" on the recent publicity. Arrington is outta here. I say send his a$$ packing as soon as this season is over. What a bum! Don't cry for me, Arringtina!

He's mad because he's not the face of the Redskins in the marketing campaigns? I'm glad this was revealed in the article because we want "team" guys on this squad, not "me" guys. Arrington can stand in front of cameras and preach the "we're all in this together" gospel, but it seems that he's all about Lavar.

It is intriguing a major thrust of the article suggests it is wrong for the team to move away from individual marketing of LaVar which is LaVar's big concern too. The team is on the brink of a successful season with minimal help from LaVar.

A smart guy asked in a column he wrote a while back...

For the first time in LaVar Arrington's career, he's playing for coaches who are bigger than him, despite the overwhelming fan rebellion backing efforts to relive the glorious days when Arrington was the face of the team and the team was 5-11.

I prefer 9-6 and treating LaVar like garbage to 5-11 treating him like the man. Who's with me?

why does everyone hate lavar? no, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he can make a big impact. I just want to believe that this offseason everything will get handled and lavar will be back, but it looks less and less like that is going to happen. It seems like everyone treats him like the reason the redskins haven't been that good the past few years. I agree on some points, that lavar doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, and going to the media doesn't solve anything, but it seems like fans are ready to run him out of town. Lavar isn't a selfish, me first player, like some of you make him out to be. I'm tired of this situation as well, but i can't believe how you guys want to kick his ass out of town, and get someone else. Do you really think Warrick Holdman is the replacement who can do better than Lavar? If he leaves, and he went on to play for another team, i wouldn't be suprised if he became a superstar again, just like other ex-redskins.

Boo-friggin-hoo :cry:

Time to call the Waaaaaaahhhhhhammmmbulance....

I will grant that they treated LaVar well by cutting him a real good deal early on...he performed, and went to the Pro-Bowl 3 times. But the culture shift from "superstar" oriented to team oriented he did NOT handle well at all, and his injury only exacerbated the perception that he was an over-paid non-producer.

To put this kind of drama queen crud out before a pivotal game with playoff implications is just WRONG. What respect I had for LA I am rapidly losing.

I doubt he will even play on Sunday.....and if the skins do make the playoffs, he MIGHT get on the field with special teams...

Good night LaVar, I hope you are happy now.

:eaglesuck

I'm a huge Lavar fan. Still am right now. But I am severely disappointed in what I am reading these days. Some things, I believe, should best be left unsaid. Or at least said to those involved behind closed doors. It's a matter of respect. This is why those who coach him practice just that.

Arrington was asked about a moment he thought his career changed in Washington. He was reminded of a Wizards game last season. His face was flashed on the overhead video scoreboard and was greeted by intermittent boos. He was taking the heat for his team's dismal season.

If he honestly thought he got booed because of the team record and not his contract nonsense, then his ego is already too far out-of-control.

""No, the town never turned on me," he said, sitting in front of his locker at the team's practice facility in Ashburn on Wednesday. "They were always behind me. It was individuals. That's all I'm going to say.""

Yes - there WAS an interview.

If one quote makes an interview, yeah.

Archived