Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FBI mysteriously closed Sunspot Observatory in NM for an undisclosed "security issue"

justice98

5 hours ago, Llevron said:

Im not ****ing around about my Aliens fear you guys. Seriously, top 3 worst nightmares and this is always how it plays out. 

Ever consider that we might be the terrifying aliens?  Like other intelligent life out there is vegetarian and the size of rabbits living happily until one of their ships stumbles onto our planet and... HOLY **** it's a place ruled by intelligent (arguably) flesh eating giants.  Monsters that gather into stadiums to drink poisonous beverages and roar their approval for various forms of ritual combat.  

Maybe the reason we've never made contact with alien life is because our planet is quarantined.  "Here there be monsters."    

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

Ever consider that we might be the terrifying aliens?  Like other intelligent life out there is vegetarian and the size of rabbits living happily until one of their ships stumbles onto our planet and... HOLY **** it's a place ruled by intelligent (arguably) flesh eating giants.  Monster that gather into stadiums to drink poisonous beverages and roar their approval for various forms of ritual combat.  

Maybe the reason we've never made contact with alien life is because our planet is quarantined.  "Here there be monsters."    

I'm writing a book with a similar premise. We go out in spaceships and end up being like interstellar conquistadors wiping out other planets' native life forms. 

55 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im not ****ing around about my Aliens fear you guys. Seriously, top 3 worst nightmares and this is always how it plays out. 

The probability that hostile aliens just happen to show up right at this moment, given the millions/billions of years they would have had to invade Earth, is basically nil.

Much higher chance of a serious asteroid impact, or Yellowstone going kablooey.  We know that because those things actually happened in the past.  We can be pretty sure there hasn't been a hostile alien invasion in the past, which means the likelihood of one in our lifetime very slim. 

If there are spacefaring aliens they are really good at hiding themselves and either have some type of prime directive preventing them from disrupting alien civilizations, or simply don't find us all that interesting.

1 hour ago, SoulSkin said:

From this, about 30 minutes ago: https://www.space.com/41834-national-solar-observatory-facility-closed-security-issue.html 

"A little more clarity could come soon: AURA Corporate Communications Coordinator Shari Lifson told Space.com that the organization will email out an update about the Sunspot situation sometime today (Sept. 14). We'll let you know what that update says."

And this is what they put out: 

The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is addressing a security issue at the National Solar Observatory (NSO) facility at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure until further notice. All other NSO facilities are open and operating normally. AURA, which manages Sacramento Peak with funding from the National Science Foundation, is working with the proper authorities on this issue.

? Thanks for nuthin', spokeslady.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

The one thing they have said is it's not aliens.  So you can sleep comfortably.

In all fairness that's what they'd say even if it was.

42 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I'm writing a book with a similar premise. We go out in spaceships and end up being like interstellar conquistadors wiping out other planets' native life forms. 

I predict some of us will, some of us won't once we start to separate.  Had dreams about that, human civilization intent on conquering another only realizing they are human too at least minute, or an evolved version of human.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I can tell.

I am intrigued about what is actually going on, I’d rather it be the Chinese or Russians trying some covert **** that say, aliens or an asteroid hurtling towards Earth...

I think it has something to do with a high level government official being involved with some chick named Ellie.

Get it?

Nothing to see here....it's just a weather balloon. The Government never lies. You can trust everything they tell you. Aliens aren't real. There is no chance that this planet has ever been visited before.

Anyone saying anything else is a conspiracy theorist terrorist you should report to us. Thank you for your cooperation,

Big Brother

ramey-dubois-roswell-ufo-debris.jpg 

Given the FBI presence, reports of numerous people with antennae on the grounds after it was shut down, and the description of it as a security incident, the espionage angle or a chemical/substance concern makes the most sense to me out of what I've heard speculated. I'm wondering if we'll ever know what the deal is/was here.

4 minutes ago, SoulSkin said:

Given the FBI presence, reports of numerous people with antennae on the grounds after it was shut down, and the description of it as a security incident, the espionage angle or a chemical/substance concern makes the most sense to me out of what I've heard speculated. I'm wondering if we'll ever know what the deal is/was here.

Swamp gas

Sunspot Solar Observatory is transitioning back to regular operations as of September 17th.

On September 6th, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) made the decision to temporarily vacate the Sunspot Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico as a precautionary measure while addressing a security issue. The facility closed down in an orderly fashion and is now re-opening. The residents that vacated their homes will be returning to the site, and all employees will return to work this week.

AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak. During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff and residents. For this reason, AURA temporarily vacated the facility and ceased science activities at this location.

The decision to vacate was based on the logistical challenges associated with protecting personnel at such a remote location, and the need for expeditious response to the potential threat. AURA determined that moving the small number of on-site staff and residents off the mountain was the most prudent and effective action to ensure their safety.

In light of recent developments in the investigation, we have determined there is no risk to staff, and Sunspot Solar Observatory is transitioning back to regular operations as of September 17th. Given the significant amount of publicity the temporary closure has generated, and the consequent expectation of an unusual number of visitors to the site, we are temporarily engaging a security service while the facility returns to a normal working environment.

We recognize that the lack of communications while the facility was vacated was concerning and frustrating for some. However, our desire to provide additional information had to be balanced against the risk that, if spread at the time, the news would alert the suspect and impede the law enforcement investigation. That was a risk we could not take.

http://aura-astronomy.org/news/news.asp?newsID=389

Archived