Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Completley Pointless except makes people mad 2018 Power Rankings Thread

Voice_of_Reason

I searched around to see if a a thread had been started on this for this year, and I didn't see one.

Caveat: Power Rankings mean absolutely nothing at all.  Who makes the playoffs is a formula based on wins, losses (and ties), and power rankings are completely meaningless, except to foster conversation.

The conversation typically is:

- MY TEAM IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT TEAM

- MY TEAM GETS NO RESPECT

But whatever.  It can be fun conversation.

There are a million power rankings.  I will update 2 in the OP every week: ESPN and NFL

ESPN:
Preseason/Week 1 - 19

Week 2 - 14 (+5) ESPN Week 2 Link

Week 3 - 21 (-7) ESPN Week 3 Link

NFL.com:

Preseason/Week 1 - 26 NFL.com Week 1

Week 2 - 17 (+9) - NFL.com Week 2

Week 3 - 24 (-7) - NFL.com Week 3

Week 3 updated.  I have no issues, I'm surprised ESPN still has us at 21, which seems somewhat generous...

Heard a rumor that USA Today has us at 8.... which I think is HIGH

I actually dont HATE the ESPN ranking, because we played a bad team and for 1 quarter, we did what good teams are supposed to do.  Our defense played a complete game, but the offense slowed in the 2nd half.   We didnt do what the Ravens did to Buffalo and pour it on.  I think if we go out and handle business on Sunday, we'll be sniffing top 10, depending on what ATL and NO do.  ATL looked like butt, but they're a better football team than we are, and they played a much better football team than we did.  

@Voice_of_Reason i mean they won the super bowl without Wentz and still winning.  I don't like either, but until someone beats them... And theyll still be even better when. He comes back.

I expect to be more respectable middle if the pack right now, but starting so low, i wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of "do it again".  Hell, I'm saying " do it again"

I don't think these rankings mean anything.  Maybe the mean as much as the Fox crews picks each week...worthless.  Also wouldn't put much stock in week 1 results...Pro or Con. Too many factors to consider.  There's going to be some teams that show up week 2 that didn't week 1.  For what it's worth, Luck looked nervous and rusty, but threw the ball 50+ times.  There's your reps...nobody should be expecting him to continue to feel out of sorts week 2.  I expect the Colts to come out throwing early and often with more success then in week 1.  This coming week is likely the week where people question the loss of Fuller as the Colts and Luck feed off the crossing routes. Coaches need to concentrate on the secondary this week in the game plan to effectively get Luck to the ground, bat some balls, contain the crossing routes, and not get torched over the top!  Skins can get exposed this week in the secondary early and often if all isn't addressed.  The Rankings have no importance for a few weeks to go.  

I don't wanna sound fake news-ish but.....  The ESPN poll in particular is star power driven. If dallass beats NYG like 8-7 they'll shoot back up into the top ten because they're not clicking on all cylinders. And vice versa for the NYG if they win. I'm no expert, just a Skinz fan. But how come none the "experts" couldn't see the offensive struggles ahead of dallass? Rookie LG fresh out of the draft, Chaz Green, the oft injured Smith. Fredrick out indefinitely w/ no time table. Their biggest passing game threat is the slot receiver. Dak is not that guy. NYG figured it out year one w/ Zeke. Load the box, man press on the outside and force Dak to beat you w/ his arm. He struggled w/ Dez and Witten, so how does he get better no proven weapons?

Same thing for NYG. The "experts" keep bringing up all the weapons they have. OBJ, the TE, Shepard from the slot (I didn't know he was that good. Is he better than Crowder? What's his production? Maybe I miss something) and Barkley (I'm admittedly bias against PSU running backs like OU QBs). But none of those weapons mattered w/ ole'Eli throwing the ball while panicking cause Erick Flowers' turnstile is open for business. 

IJS these polls are soooo bias. Only thing we can do is keep winning.

I was poking around myself, just to see if the Redskins were getting any props at all.

Seems that most of the ones I looked at were more focused on "how pathetic Arizona Cardinals were for letting of all teams Washington just smoke them".

But I noticed that some of these cheesy rankings outlets still had their little shame masks on by refusing to refer to the team as the 'Redskins', they just said 'Washington, like Redskins was saying a nasty word. I just gave up at that point. Some people just can't let it go.

The NFL rankings are pointless - but the closer the team is to the top of the ranking depicts essentially how much national attention the team gets 

19 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Heard a rumor that USA Today has us at 8.... which I think is HIGH

I actually dont HATE the ESPN ranking, because we played a bad team and for 1 quarter, we did what good teams are supposed to do.  Our defense played a complete game, but the offense slowed in the 2nd half.   We didnt do what the Ravens did to Buffalo and pour it on.  I think if we go out and handle business on Sunday, we'll be sniffing top 10, depending on what ATL and NO do.  ATL looked like butt, but they're a better football team than we are, and they played a much better football team than we did.  

I am not disagreeing with you - 8 is way too high - The ESPN ranking puts us 14th and 7th in the NFC (i think), which would be just on the outside of the NFC playoffs but in the hunt - If we look the same on Sunday against the Colts then we become interesting - and i think this is the point of the power rankings - it gives pundits a reason to take notice of teams that don't have the star power or the big names. 

Just out of interest Did you watch the Bills game - It was not so much the Ravens dominance but the keystone bills were that bad - I wish we got to play the Bills - But i think what is interesting in our game it was all about unit vs unit - there was three turnovers in the entire game - and two of those came in the dying minutes of the 4th quater - it was a grinding win but more sustainable than the 5 and 6 turnover fests we have seen else where... 

Week one is difficult to judge off and there is no real way to understand how teams will develop but we dominated in every aspect of the game - I know people look at the score and it was 'only' 24 points and 'only' a 18 point margin - 3 score game but even in the second half - although we were not putting points on the board we were taking chunks out of the game clock with long sustained time consuming drives 

1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

The NFL rankings are pointless - but the closer the team is to the top of the ranking depicts essentially how much national attention the team gets 

I am not disagreeing with you - 8 is way too high - The ESPN ranking puts us 14th and 7th in the NFC (i think), which would be just on the outside of the NFC playoffs but in the hunt - If we look the same on Sunday against the Colts then we become interesting - and i think this is the point of the power rankings - it gives pundits a reason to take notice of teams that don't have the star power or the big names. 

Just out of interest Did you watch the Bills game - It was not so much the Ravens dominance but the keystone bills were that bad - I wish we got to play the Bills - But i think what is interesting in our game it was all about unit vs unit - there was three turnovers in the entire game - and two of those came in the dying minutes of the 4th quater - it was a grinding win but more sustainable than the 5 and 6 turnover fests we have seen else where... 

Week one is difficult to judge off and there is no real way to understand how teams will develop but we dominated in every aspect of the game - I know people look at the score and it was 'only' 24 points and 'only' a 18 point margin - 3 score game but even in the second half - although we were not putting points on the board we were taking chunks out of the game clock with long sustained time consuming drives 

Yeah, my Bro-in-Law is a Ravens fan so we watched that one tape to tape.  The Bills were just flat out terrible.  Baltimore dominated the, but yes, like you said, it wasn't necessarily that Baltimore was some elite top tier team and the Bills team played a good game and were just beat.  They killed themselves in that game.  I see what you're saying, and I agree.  They were completely different victories.  Arizona didn't beat themselves, they just got defeated by what was clearly a better football team that day.... Arizona was doing what they could to get something going, Buffalo just didn't show up.  

15 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

The only one that matters is USA Today ?

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

Love it we stomp a Texas sized mud hole in them this weekend and USA Today drops us in the rankings and has Arizona above us lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/11/week-two-power-rankings-8/

Mike Florio gave them an 8 spot rise this week, still the lowest ranking of all teams with a 1-0 record. Keeping it real lol

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/11/nfl-power-rankings-2018

Sports Illustrated gave them a plus 8 jump from last week biggest of the leagues teams. Even put them ahead of the Denver Broncos the only 1-0 team they are in front of

Personally love the rankings the guys put out. If the teams ranked low it’s good bulletin board material used for motivation. Otherwise fun to follow

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL Network had the Giants 2 spots above us even though they lost at home.  Wow. 

That's because they lost to the mighty Jaguars while we demolished the lowly Cardinals even though everyone on NFL Network picked the Cardinals to beat the Redskins lol...Plus, Barkley had that really long TD run while our rookie RB is on injured reserve and we have Fred Sanford replacing him as starter...

q8hjaxr.gif

it makes sense if you think about it.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That's because they lost to the mighty Jaguars while we demolished the lowly Cardinals even though everyone on NFL Network picked the Cardinals to beat the Redskins lol...Plus, Barkley had that really long TD run while our rookie RB is on injured reserve and we have Fred Sanford replacing him as starter...

q8hjaxr.gif

it makes sense if you think about it.

Sticking to 1970 TV series

Updated OP for week 3.

ESPN blurb had no useful information.

NFL.com blurb: One week after slamming the door on the Cardinals, the Redskins got short-tossed to death at home. The same aggressive defense that wouldn't let the Arizona offense breathe watched Andrew Luck meticulously touch-pass his way to converting third downs (when he wasn't throwing his two interceptions). The 21-9 drubbing by the Colts was easily the most surprising outcome of Week 2, at least after what we saw on opening weekend. Even more shocking: The movement Indy's offensive line got on Washington's front.

For whatever it's worth, we were one of the largest fallers (rightfully so) in both polls.

Archived