Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Adonis Alexander CB Virginia Tech

Bifflog

Welcome!

Adonis Alexander

Adonis Alexander is an NFL sized defensive back. Read about his chances of being drafted in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft.

College: Virginia Tech #36Virginia Tech Football

Position: Cornerback

Height: 6-3

Weight: 193

40 Time: 4.92

Video

Notes

• Incredible body control. Amazing interception.
  • Has a pro frame at 6-3 that he needs to fill out. Also, it is unlikely that his 40 time is still 4.92.
  • Played safety in high school.
  • Played safety as a freshman at Virginia Tech.
  • Plenty of explosion in his legs. If he posts another 41 inch vertical, that will impress NFL scouts at the 2018 NFL Combine.
  • Second team Freshman All-American, as a safety, 2015.
  • Arrested on marijuana possession in April 2016. Suspended for 2016 season opener.
  • Virginia Tech may consider moving Adonis Alexander back to safety in 2017.

NFL Draft Board Breakdown

The NFL Draft Board.

Adonis Alexander has the frame NFL scouts dream of when they consider defensive backs. Half of the Seattle Seahawks All-Pro secondary is 6-3.

From the Kevin King page.

Daniel Jeremiah has Kevin King going to the Seattle Seahawks in the first round (of the 2017 NFL draft) with pick number 26. The Seattle Seahawks gravitate to bigger defensive backs, Richard Sherman 6-3 and Kam Chancellor 6-3.

If an NFL team drafted Adonis Alexander as a cornerback, it would surprise some people. Alexander has the frame to play safety, and would make a great cornerback. But, cornerback requires a certain speed to keep up with the 4.22, 40, John Ross’s of the NFL.

There are two things you can’t teach, height and speed. Although speed can be adjusted by focusing on fast twitch muscle fibers, there is no changing a person’s height. That works in favor of Adonis Alexander.

Adonis Alexander’s Draft Prospectus

Adonis Alexander has a full year of football in front of him. It would probably be best if Virginia Tech moved him to safety and he puts up All-American numbers. If he does that, his chances of getting drafted in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft increase dramatically. But, there is always a challenge. Taking a look at the 2017 NFL Draft Board, NFL teams favor cornerback over the safety position.

For now though, WalterFootball.com has Adonis Alexander in the first round of his 2018 NFL mock draft. And that should motivate any college player.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000000935390/Pelissero-A-potential-first-round-talent-will-enter-2018-Supplemental-Draft-this-summer&icampaign="search-video-adonis+alexander"

Rotoworld being a buzzkill, but I like the pick.

The Redskins will surrender a 2019 sixth-rounder. Western Michigan CB Sam Beal was taken in the third round by the Giants, and Beal had clearly separated himself from Alexander as the draft's top prospect. Alexander stands 6'2/195 but ran a 4.60 forty at his Pro Day with a 35.5-inch vertical and just nine bench-press reps. He had a number of off-field issues in college and was ruled academically ineligible before declaring for the supplemental draft. He's merely a late-round flier who should get at least one year to stick at the end of the roster. Alexander is unlikely to make a rookie-year impact barring injuries.

21 minutes ago, Dancing Bear said:

Rotoworld being a buzzkill, but I like the pick.

The Redskins will surrender a 2019 sixth-rounder. Western Michigan CB Sam Beal was taken in the third round by the Giants, and Beal had clearly separated himself from Alexander as the draft's top prospect. Alexander stands 6'2/195 but ran a 4.60 forty at his Pro Day with a 35.5-inch vertical and just nine bench-press reps. He had a number of off-field issues in college and was ruled academically ineligible before declaring for the supplemental draft. He's merely a late-round flier who should get at least one year to stick at the end of the roster. Alexander is unlikely to make a rookie-year impact barring injuries.

In fairness, I think a lot of that is pretty accurate. I would be surprised if the Redskins expect him to make an impact this year...

7 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

4.92?  I'm faster than that.

1. I actually doubt you are, but I don't know you

2. I think his pro day time was like 4.61 which still is not good...especially with the pro day bump

4 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

4.92?  I'm faster than that.

:ols:

according to this

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24069695/washington-redskins-select-adonis-alexander-supplemental-draft

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds at his Pro Day earlier this summer -- a time that likely dissuaded teams from using a higher pick on him.

I see the value of picking Alexandeer in the 6th. Given his size, strength and mediocre speed, he seems like a better fit at safety than CB.  We're going to have considerable competition at both spots.  At CB, he'll be competing for a roster spot with Stroman and Holsey, and perhaps even UDFA Danny Johnson.  At safety, he' may have a better shot competing with Apke, Smithson, and Blanding.  If we put him on the practice squad, I'm afraid he'll be poached by some other DB needy team.  Anybody think we could be setting up to trade one of our CBs this year...maybe even Norman (if that's even possible)?

6 minutes ago, TK said:

Very happy Fuller isn't the only person who see's the method to the madness.  When Torrian Gray pulls this off and develops this kid then he's going to be out the door and signed as someone's defensive coordinator.  

Gray recruited Nicholson as well; failed to get him signed but has developed him very well thus far.  I think he's going to turn this kid into something special.  He knows him personally, recruited him and now we have his former teammates on board as well.  Best possible set up for this kid.  He just has to do his part and we may have found a gem.  Hopefully he will be the reincarnation of another former Tech star.....Kyshoen Jarrett

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

What do you believe the tweet infers?

Dan's going to be changing the name to the Washington Hokies. :) 

Fuller, TGray, DHall, Alexander, Tim Settle, Greg Stroman, all Hokies with Settle being the only one not playing or coaching CBs. 

But seriously, it's a 6th round pick & you have his former college position coach with a bit more familiarity on him even though the knock on him was lazy/makes a play but disappears/hasn't shown he really wants to be on an NFL roster even when having the talent/athleticism to do so.

Archived