Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Adonis Alexander CB Virginia Tech

Bifflog

I kind of took Fuller's tweet to mean Gray lost one of his boys (Fuller) but added two more (Stroman and Alexander). Who really knows though.

And yeah, Not too concerned with Alexander's workout. For one, he didn't have months of preparation gearing up for the combine. And two, as others have pointed out there are plenty of other very good CBs that have similar measurables.

I think they use Alexander as a Hybrid. He makes the 53 but doesn't play unless a safety gets hurt. They train him at CB but make him understand safety too. That way in the event that there are injuries in front of him, they aren't screwed. He played safety and corner in college. He was effective at both. It actually saves them a roster spot because he can handle both. I'm also assuming that if Scandrick were to get hurt, they kick Dunbar inside and play Stroman outside.
image.png.3855fe35f9800e87b364e7e9489afe32.png

9 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

I think they use Alexander as a Hybrid. He makes the 53 but doesn't play unless a safety gets hurt. They train him at CB but make him understand safety too. That way in the event that there are injuries in front of him, they aren't screwed. He played safety and corner in college. He was effective at both. It actually saves them a roster spot because he can handle both. I'm also assuming that if Scandrick were to get hurt, they kick Dunbar inside and play Stroman outside.
image.png.3855fe35f9800e87b364e7e9489afe32.png

I think Quin Blanding makes the team. The guy is always around the football. Not the fastest guy in the world but a heart and soul kind of competitor. That's the type you want on a football team. 

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I may be in the minority here, but I feel like 40 speed is seriously overrated when it comes to the game.  It's a measuring stick but it tells very little of the story.  

First off, very rarely are they going to be running a straight line sprint along side a WR.  When that does happen, it's even more seldom that they're on their own on the outside without help over the top.  The majority of the WR in the league don't run under 4.5 anyway, so you're telling me that you're (speaking generally, not referring to you) worried about a guy who literally runs the same distance .1 second slower than another guy with no pads, on a track?  Add to that, the ball wont likely be in the hands of the QB long enough for them to go 40 yards ANYWAY.  The better qbs have the ball out in less than 3 seconds, so that .1 of a second difference is reduced even further. 

Agreed. As we saw from some recent posts, both Norman and Breeland ran similar 40 times. The worry about his speed was due to a few articles and the OP listing his 40 time at 4.92... That wouldn't work.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't know if this was already asked or addressed, but with our needs/questions at CB, why didn't we go after the more sure thing in Sam Beal ?

My guess would be that they didn't want to use a 2nd round pick to outbid the Giants.  The Giants pick is slotted well before us in the 3rd round... at least thats how I understand that it works

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/how-the-nfl-supplemental-draft-works-what-when-who-and-more-you-need-to-know-for-2018/

How does it work?

The supplemental draft order is different from the regular draft order. Teams are separated into three groups based on the previous season; the first group are non-playoff teams that had six or fewer wins. The second group are non-playoff teams with more six wins. And the final group are playoff teams. The order in those groups are determined by a weighted lottery with the teams with the fewest wins given the best chance to win the earliest picks. Bids for players are submitted blindly by teams with the round that given team would want to select a given player. Obviously, the team highest in the draft order who submits the earliest-round bid for a player will be awarded that player. When that happens, that club forfeits a pick in the same round of next year's regular draft. 

Reading this, it's absolutely possible we bid a 3rd round pick and the Giants pick was just higher within that round.   Also reading this it looks like they're blind bidding so I don't know if that means they can see that an unknown team bid a 3rd and we can also bid or how that works. 

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My guess would be that they didn't want to use a 2nd round pick to outbid the Giants.  The Giants pick is slotted well before us in the 3rd round... at least thats how I understand that it works

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/how-the-nfl-supplemental-draft-works-what-when-who-and-more-you-need-to-know-for-2018/

Reading this, it's absolutely possible we bid a 3rd round pick and the Giants pick was just higher within that round.   Also reading this it looks like they're blind bidding so I don't know if that means they can see that an unknown team bid a 3rd and we can also bid or how that works. 

First, thanks for posting the details. I don;t think many people are aware of how it actually works. 

You are correct it's a blind bid just like players on waivers. So my guess (and yours) is they were not interested in using a 2nd on Beal - a good decision I believe - but they were also reasonably sure they would not get him in the 3rd. They would have gladly taken both if they fell that way. The 6th for Alexander is a good investment I believe. given the circumstances I would think he has a really good chance of sticking with the team. 

Archived