Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jason Witten pondering retirement to join MNF

armstrong001

4 minutes ago, DeMarco Murray 29 said:

I hope he does. No more 7 yard routes on 3rd and 8.

Will miss the leadership and passion.

Him and Dez we’re holding the offense back 

Not sure about that last sentence. Witten, despite declining skills, was still a good safety valve for Dak. Dez is very talented, but I guess they were tired of his attitude. 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Looking forward to hearing how he sounds commentating with McDonough 

McDonough was let go. I'd rather see Chris Cooley do Monday night football.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, DeMarco Murray 29 said:

I hope he does. No more 7 yard routes on 3rd and 8.

Will miss the leadership and passion.

Him and Dez we’re holding the offense back 

Witten could still hurt teams but he definitely was beyond his shelf date. Exactly what you said, just briefly leave open Witten to bait the QB into throwing him the ball on 3&8 on a 6 yard route because he won't be getting any YAC.

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He was?? Wow. I thought they’d keep him and just replace Gruden after going to the raiders. Have they chosen the guy that will be joining witten in the booth? 

Nah I don't think they have named a replacement yet. He was let go the beginning of March.

7 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Witten could still hurt teams but he definitely was beyond his shelf date. Exactly what you said, just briefly leave open Witten to bait the QB into throwing him the ball on 3&8 on a 6 yard route because he won't be getting any YAC.

Yeah, but with that line and Zeke in the backfield, they converted an awful lot of 4th and 1's. So maybe leaving Witten wide open for 7 yards on 3rd and 8 still wasn't the best strategy...

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Roger.Staubach said:

I don't think Witten has the oratory skills to be thrust into a MNF role.

Is he Emmit Smith bad? :) 

Doesn't matter if he has the skills or not. He's a cowboy. That is all the qualifications he will need for the idiot sports media.

Aikman, "Moose", Irvin, Sanders, Romo. Now Witten. The idiot sports media is loaded with former cowboy clowns. What's one more?

It's obvious they aren't trying to raise the IQ of the discussion. :P  :dallas_sucks:

(Seriously, I do like Aikman, and Romo wasn't bad last year).

Aikman is the best of the bunch.

.Romo has an annoying voice but his analytical skills are awesome.

Moose was average and boring.

Irvin is a homer and too over-the-top for me.

Sanders was/is terrible.

Emmitt graduated from high school?  Seriously, who signed his check?

I expect Witten to be slightly worse than Moose.  He is soft-spoken and kind of boring.  However, the market isn't exactly overflowing with likeable talent at the moment.  Maybe he will last.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well he looked like he was trying too hard in the preseason wet run on Thursday version of MNF.  He kept looking down and bending over towards his counterpart and wouldn't look at the camera.  Also took his suit coat off to reveal his little brothers shirt he was wearing. Mega tight and looked awkward. They made him put the coat back on. He did a below avg job. Probably gets a C- 

He was pretty bad on his first time out. Much worse than Romo (who I am still not a huge fan of).  The saving Grace for Romo is his ability to predict offenses and defensive plays before they happen.  I saw nothing from Witten to suggest that he will bring an equally intriguing viewpoint to the game.

Hopefully, he will improve.

• 4 months later...
14 minutes ago, Roger.Staubach said:

While his voice is annoying and he often talks too much, Romo knows the game.  He needs to go into coaching.

Why?  He’s got a great gig, is going to be extremely well paid, no real pressure and he’s pretty much universally praised and liked on the broadcasts 

He’s really good where he is

Archived