Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins, Alex Smith

Burgold

20 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, to those who were in doubt, you can all agree, the writing is on the wall now!

The writing is on the wall. Scouts must have really liked a couple of these young QB's at the senior bowl and we're gonna go for one in the 1st round.. Now you have a veteran QB to tutor whoever we get, while he seems expensive, he was definitely more cheap than Cousins was gonna be. And with all the holes and depth we need, and the fact that 3 outta the 4 teams in the championship round had average QB play. This was the best long term plan. At least maybe thats what they feel..

I remember when we draft Kirk, ESPN was saying during the draft show, you could develop Kirk and trade him a few years later for a 1st round pick while Bob develops. Well here we are in 2018, Bob's been gone from the Redskins for 3 years now and out of the league for a year and you let Kirk walk for a compensatory 3rd round pick..

13 minutes ago, TK said:

Brad Johnson played here in 1999/200. That's almost 20 years ago. We've been looking for a QB since then. This is a FO that traded for a declining McNabb, gave up picks for a one year wonder in RGME, & now this. Do you really  think they can find his replacement in another 3 years? 

Well no, but I have to hold out a tiny shred of hope. Otherwise I’d just need to pack it in and give up. 

Hell, Johnson had such a short tenure, that I actually go all the way back to Rypien as the last true franchise QB we’ve had.

Oh, and Smith will probably wear #11 (Rypien), since Pryor won’t be needing it. :) 

I am disappointed because they could not sell Breeland (instead of better player Fuller) and Smith is not really an upgrade over Cousins.  Another solid NFL QB that will give us good numbers, but fails to take that elite step that gets you consistently to the playoffs and actually wins in the playoffs.  Yeeeaaaaaeah, we are going to continue to fight for a 8-10 win seasons and make the playoffs every other year and maybe win in the wildcard round.

I was hoping they would go after a QB in the draft.  A promising future prospect.  IMHO, if they pull the trigger in the draft for someone to take over in 3 years, I will be ok.

And, Cousins was gone.  Both the team and Cousins have moved on, both knew he would not be back, and the team had decided not to franchise him.  When that last decision was made, the team clearly decided to get a veteran instead of a rookie.  And, this tells you what they actually think of Colt.

4 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Well no, but I have to hold out a tiny shred of hope. Otherwise I’d just need to pack it in and give up. 

Hell, Johnson had such a short tenure, that I actually go all the way back to Rypien as the last true franchise QB we’ve had.

Trent Green says Hi. :ols: 

BJ was only here for 2 years, but he was also one bad snap away from a SB appearance that he ended up making in Tampa. 

2 minutes ago, TK said:

Trent Green says Hi. :ols: 

BJ was only here for 2 years, but he was also one bad snap away from a SB appearance that he ended up making in Tampa. 

Trent had one great season and only started one season. Still sour at the FO for that one too!!! :( 

Ryp was from 86-94 (started in 89) so we at least got 5 years out of him. Lol.

I have a feeling that the result of this bonehead move is the following:

For 2018 the record will be 5 - 11.

In 2019 Bruce Allen will be fired and live comfortably in his $7M house in CA bought with the money he fleeced from the Redskins pretending to be a football guy.  Jay will be the OC for his brother Jon.  And Dan will not be able to hire a good coach or GM so the Redskins will be a laughing stock for years to come.

I regret spreading the Redskin's infection to my children.  Because they will most likely never witness a Super Bowl in their life times. 

3 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Trent had one great season and only started one season. Still sour at the FO for that one too!!! :( 

Ryp was from 86-94 (started in 89) so we at least got 5 years out of him. Lol.

To be fair, Trent was more on ownership (technically lack of since JKC had died) so you can't really put Trent on a FO.

Welcome, Alex.

I'm sorry that you have to inherit the drama that comes with being the QB of a completely inept franchise.  No matter what you do, you will end up being the easy target for a good portion of our fan base when the real culprits wear suits.

Congrats to you on garnering 3 years guaranteed money at 24M/per when you'll be 34 years old before you take your first snap.  Hats off to you and your agent.

No matter what happens, just know - I won't blame you for any of this.

5 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

What's the over/under on the first game he gets boo'd?  Not his fault but he will be blamed a lot because they couldn't/wouldn't re-sign Kirk.  If he struggles coming out the gate next year, oh boy...

First game, when he throws the check down on a 3rd and 9.  Alex Smith is ranked 22nd in air yards.  Kirk was ranked 6th.  I can't believe that Gruden signed off on this trade when his biggest beef with Kirk was not taking more chances down the field.  That tells me that Gruden will be out of here next year. 

Where Smith will drive Redskins fans bananas is on third and fourth down, as he doesn’t always get the ball past the first-down marker on those pass attempts. Dating back to 2015, just 41 percent of his passes on third or fourth down traveled at least one yard past the first-down marker, the lowest rate among passers with at least 300 attempts over the past three years.

Source:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/01/31/alex-smith-trade-gives-the-redskins-a-quarterback-an-awful-lot-like-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.bf7f380a6514

28 minutes ago, TK said:

To be fair, Trent was more on ownership (technically lack of since JKC had died) so you can't really put Trent on a FO.

Actually it had more to do with the league putting the team in trust and holding the team hostage to jack up the price of the franchise(s), and because Trent just happened to be a FA at the time the Rams swooped in and offered him a contract.

I guess I'm in the minority but I just don't see why every time something happens to the redskins this place and twitter just blows up.

We have a QB for the next few years. I bet after year 2 or 3 we can get out without worry. Jay gruden has made me believe that we're headed in the right direction. Jay wanted QB security and it's obvious that he was never going to get that with Kirk.

Welcome Alex. I've always found him a decent QB and he should give us good play for a few years while we groom someone. I'm assuming we do not draft a QB this year and we focus on defense again. But a shiny running back would be nice.

21 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

We have a QB for the next few years. I bet after year 2 or 3 we can get out without worry.

That appears to be true, but why pay a 3rd and Fuller for a QB you intend to bail on?

Like you, I'm trying to be optimistic. If we can score more points with more FG opportunities to go with a similar number of TDs (KC has more FG's made in the last three years than us), win in the division (Alex Smith is an impressive 16-2 in the last three years in the regular season division games), and win more games overall (Smith is 31-15 in the last three years), and we're saving enough on the cap to retain guys like Kerrigan (TBD based on what Cousins signs for), then there's at least hope we get hot and make some play-off noise, something we've not done much of under Cousins -- and that would make it worthwhile for me.

If we come out of 3-5 years with Smith with a good team (like you, I'm hoping for a good RB or more defenders this year with our top picks, not a QB) and a developmental QB to take over when Smith is done, then there are worse scenarios.

I don't get the hate....

Yes, I do. People are so conditioned to act like Bruce Allen is Hitler that nothing the team does is allowed to be construed positively. Smith is not McNabb, and he's certainly not John Beck. He's a GOOD QB who has some strengths Kirk doesn't and will thrive in Jay's system which is all about getting guys open. Meanwhile we can let Jay draft HIS guy and let him learn behind a vet for a few years. Losing Kendall stings quite a bit but the reaction is seriously disproportionate-- he's a slot corner. We have Norman, Dunbar, Moreau and Holsey and hopefully can bring back Breeland. We're going to go sign some pieces... Sheldon Richardson, Brown, Logan, weapons for the offense. We don't have Kareem Hunt but Chris Thompson was pretty damn effective before he got injured.

There's no easy way to say this, and I hate to be the one to break it to folks, but here it goes: if we stay healthy, we're a good team. I know people don't want to hear that. They just renewed their membership for Pitchforks Monthly, but if we're 6-2 this year and playing well everyone is going to be back on the wagon. HTTR

5 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

For 2018 the record will be 5 - 11.

Smith hasn't had a losing season since 2010. His worst season since then is 8-7. He's won 11 games 3x, and 13 1x. I know, I know, it's a team sport. But I have trouble imagining a 5-11 record with Smith as a 15/16-game starter.

Archived