Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If this means that Dez gets cut I would love to see the Redskins sign him. Just saying

Go and sit in a corner and think about what you just said. Come back when you are ready to say sorry.

And no iPad.

Hahah i thought so that’s why I posted the funny picture :cheers: 

Seriously though Dez is still good. He would be our best receiver. I know pipe dream but just saying wouldn’t that be a Bruce Allen move (signing those discarded Boys) but this time it work out

5 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Hahah i thought so that’s why I posted the funny picture :cheers: 

Seriously though Dez is still good. He would be our best receiver. I know pipe dream but just saying wouldn’t that be a Bruce Allen move (signing those discarded Boys) but this time it work out

Again. No.

Seriously aside from the fact he's a head case and malcontent who I would not want anywhere near our locker room his skills are diminishing. Hes got by on his immense physical talent and not worked on his craft. He runs crappy routes, does not get separation against man coverage and relies on his size to out physical DB's.

Now his physical skills are fading he's a decent receiver who will win some 50/50 balls and who you can throw a slant to and who can use his size on dig routes. But hes far from the guy he thinks he still is and is paid as.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Per NFLPA site, #Redskins have $19.3M in cap space, v close to league avg. Lions have $11.3M. Pertinent to #HankWatch.

So we need at least $7 - $8M as a bank to take into the season and I think we have come to a consensus we need about $3.5M for rookies.

That leaves us with just enough to possibly land Hankins.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

So we need at least $7 - $8M as a bank to take into the season and I think we have come to a consensus we need about $3.5M for rookies.

7-8 million on hold for the season, isn't that a bit high?   Isn't it typically 5 million max?  I could be wrong but for some reason I got the 5 million figure stuck in my head and not everyone keeps that much either.  The typical signing off the street is close to veteran minimum.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

7-8 million on hold for the season, isn't that a bit high?   Isn't it typically 5 million max?  I could be wrong but for some reason I got the 5 million figure stuck in my head and not everyone keeps that much either.  The typical signing off the street is close to veteran minimum.

I'm pretty sure we went into last year with $8.6 M and finished with only $1.6, we did have a ridiculous amount of injuries that killed all that space but I'm not sure what the FO wants that number to be, I was basing it off last year.

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Usually you want $3 million for the season. But last year, with the massive injuries we took, I think it was close to $7m. So obviously it's good to have a cushion, but typically having $3-5m is a good place to be. So I'd say about $8m between rookies and in-season and you've got about $11 million to spend. And that $11m could be rolled over to next year ... or $$7-8 could go to the 1st year of a Hankins deal.

Team typically wants 10mil to carry. As it stands we essentially have the 10mil left in space to use. But that shouldn't stop us using up say 15mil in space now, dropping our number down lower than we'd like. As long as we can cover the rookie pool off in May, we could make subsequent cuts or do one contract restructure to top our space back up later on in the offseason.

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Extenstions and restructured deals gives them all they need to sign him

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

There's definitely some wiggle room there, just have to cross our fingers and hope we don't have another injury-riddled season.

I think (ironically?) that rb is the only spot I actually like our depth.  On the other hand, I’m ok with our depth at corner, OLB, WR, ILB, oline, SS, QB, TE and maybe DE.  DT, FS are the only spots I don’t see any real depth.. well, I guess NT too.  I am intrigued by Smithson at FS though.  He could develop into a solid backup.  Everett’s back there too, but I see him as more of a SS.  

We could use depth pretty much across the board though (except maybe rb).  

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

DT, FS are the only spots I don’t see any real depth.. well, I guess NT too.  I am intrigued by Smithson at FS though.  He could develop into a solid backup.  Everett’s back there too, but I see him as more of a SS.  

Speaking of safety Eric Reid is still out there unsigned. He's a good player - he's a quality starting safety.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

FWIW we ranked 7th in the NFL last year in terms of number of sacks made. I can't find it but we ranked highly on pressures as well IIRC.

Yeah, so maybe better than "ok."  However, I just can't remember many instances when we NEEDED pressure, and could get it.  The two times it really stood out were the ends of the KC and Saints games.  I'll grant you injury issues for the Saints game, but in the KC game, we were mostly healthy still, and when we needed to get pressure on Alex and get a stop, we couldn't, and they drove right down the field and scored.

This is also true in A LOT of end of game/end of half situations.

Sometimes stats can be somewhat mis-leading.  My gut (and granted, I could be really wrong about this) is that we got pressure in bunches and not at critical times in games. 

What we really need from pressure is that we can dial up that pass-rush in critical situations and make a play. Like the Eagles did against Brady in the SB.  EVERYBODY thought Brady was going to just take the Pats down the field and score, and they managed to make a play and get a strip-sack.  

I just don't recall us having that type of effectiveness when it mattered.  I could be wrong, though...

We are in 3-4 more like 10%-15% of the time.

I really thought the stat Cooley keeps referring to is we are in Nickle about 60% of the time.  Again, that's what I'm going off of.  

But Kerrigan and Smith play mainly as DE's in our sub package which is what we are in about 60% of snaps. So as well as them you need additional OLB who can sub for them in base to keep them fresh and play stood up to rush or drop in sub. Which is where Galette came in ...

Fair point.  I thought, and again, I could be very wrong, when they went nickle, Kerrigan went to DE, but Smith stayed as a OLB.  I don't recall Smith with his hand down much, but maybe that's just bad recollection.  

This squad lacks a true speed edge rusher.

That's definitely true.  It was supposed to be Galette 3 years ago, then he tore both Achilles.  However, they've gone out of their way NOT to draft a speed rusher: Kerrigan, Murphy and Anderson are not speed rushers, and all were high picks.  It's interesting, they've actively gone after tough, effort guys and not speed guys... I guess Orakpo was a speed guy coming out who fell to them, but that was back in the Vinny days... And we played a 4-3 when we drafted him.  

As for D'Line pass rush - I think we were and are fine in that regard with Allen and Ionnidas. Couple them with Smith and Kerrigan as 4-3 DEs in sub and thats a decent group. The people we are looking at on the D'Line are more to help us inside against the run. I doubt there is anything schematic happening here in regards to pass rush.

I still think we need at least 1 more significant addition to the DL.  I don't want to see Hood, McLain, McGee getting meaningful snaps in critical situations.  You've got to find a way to either release them (because you have better options) or make them 100% backups. 

Andrew Brandt Retweeted Gregg Rosenthal

Again, the value of a GM with a background in negotiations..

Andrew Brandt added,

Gregg RosenthalVerified account @greggrosenthal
The Eagles basically traded Torrey Smith for Daryl Worley, Mike Wallace and almost $2 million in cap space. And I’d rather have Wallace straight up.

Retweet

t

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really thought the stat Cooley keeps referring to is we are in Nickle about 60% of the time.  Again, that's what I'm going off of.  

Yep. thats correct. But then you have to factor in snaps when we are in short yardage or goal line or in long yardage dime or prevent packages. There are really only about 10% of snaps (sometimes a bit more depending on the DC) when you are in true 3-4 or 4-3.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I still think we need at least 1 more significant addition to the DL.  I don't want to see Hood, McLain, McGee getting meaningful snaps in critical situations.  You've got to find a way to either release them (because you have better options) or make them 100% backups. 

100%. Either through whats left of free agency or the draft we need to add another quality player to that D'Line rotation.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Speaking of safety Eric Reid is still out there unsigned. He's a good player - he's a quality starting safety.

It doesn't bother me at all, but apparently he's still available because he was part of the anthem thing with Kap.  And some agents are speculating that in order for it not to appear as though teams are blackballing Reid, they're not signing any safeties.  I find that interesting...  Link to Article

If true, that would both be black-balling a player AND collusion.  Something tells me it's not exactly true...

I could definitely see the Redskins, who play in the Nation's Capital, not really wanting to wander into that particular quagmire, however.  It wouldn't bother me, but I can see why they would be extra hesitant.  

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yep. thats correct. But then you have to factor in snaps when we are in short yardage or goal line or in long yardage dime or prevent packages. There are really only about 10% of snaps (sometimes a bit more depending on the DC) when you are in true 3-4 or 4-3.

Ah, got it. 

Archived