Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

I knew Doctson would be a work in progress, but I think he's showing some positive signs.  I actually liked the way he reacted after KC missed him being wide open for a TD, which is to say he didn't react at all.  I like the way he goes about his business, we just need him to keep progressing.  

I was really expecting to get more dynamic plays from Crowder and Reed.  Reed looks like JWitten out there waddling past the sticks, and I'm not sure Crowder is fully healthy either, but he's been a non factor.  

I actually feel bad for Pryor.  I have no doubt that he works hard, but he's got the yips big time.  He needs Jobu to take the curse off of his hands.  

Defense is playing hard.  Giving up too many big plays and their depth gets exposed late in games after our offense leaves them on the field.

Kirk struggles with pressure in his face and that continued tonight.  Philly is tough to handle playing from behind.  I can see us squeaking into the postseason but I see no way that KC plays another year in DC, even if we go and win a playoff game.  I don't think either side wants to commit.

What is wrong with running a QB sneak on 3rd and 1? I don't remember the last time I saw one of those stopped. They usually easily get a yard or more. At least if you're going to throw it have a back in the back field and do Playaction. 

Let's say we scored on one of those drives where we had it 3rd and 1. We still were facing long odds on the road to beat a good Philly team. They got every break after the 1st quarter. The pass interference against Dunbar. I don't like that rule that you have to look back at the ball but it is the rule. That gave them a first down leading to a TD instead of a FG. The other backbreaker was Wentz escaping from the pile. I'm really surprised it wasn't blown dead. His forward progress appeared to be briefly stopped.

This team has shown potential and I believe has a good amount of young upcoming players on defense. But with the injuries and inconsistent offense they just get too much load shoveled on them. Regarding the offense. The line is in shambles due to injury. But even when it was healthy the WRs are too inconsistent and Jordan Reed just doesn't look the same. I think his health has slowed him down. I think it's too soon to pull the plug on Jay Gruden. We just don't have all the parts we need and this extensive injury bug has to go.

MC

56 minutes ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Well...  I think we had a reality check to night against a team who could have beat us worse than they did, but they eased up off the gas at times.  As fans we have to accept that these Washington Redskins ars mediocre at best right now.

Enough talking about how we did this or that to the Raiders.  They are semi-garbage.  The 49ers game was probably a red flag that we should have took notice of, because the Cowboys went through them like a hot knife through butter and we were probably a BS offensive PI call on Garcon from losing to them on our own soil.

We have to learn how to win the big games man.  Im disappointed, not because of the loss, but moreso how we got owned.  I read a poster earlier talk about how the media doesn't mention us on the weekly top NFL rankings.  Why should they?  The best thing we've done this year was give the Chiefs a serious run in which we could have won.

Other than that....  pretty much nothing worthy of gaining the media's respect.  We had a chance to MAKE them talk about us in this week's rankings....  but what happened...  we choked....  again.

Since you love giving credit to the Cowboys all the time, name me one victory they've had over a good team.  

The Redskins have one.

15 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Since you love giving credit to the Cowboys all the time, name me one victory they've had over a good team.  

The Redskins have one.

Im sorry, I think you have the wrong poster.  And what does Dallas have to do with us getting our asses whipped tonight?

For the record, if you read any of my post, you will see how i said Dallas has a horrible defense.  Tonight on another thread I said that its going to be a sight for sore eyes to face Dallas this week because they have a bad, inexperienced defense.  We are not good enough to beat good teams yet so Dallas coming in will and should be a relief game.

For future reference, please read posts carefully.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

They played poorly as a whole. It’s okay to admit. Dallas is Sunday and I’m sure they’ll come ready to play.

Now I haven't seen a game until tonight in a month because of irmaria, but I thought we played well. Seeing Scherff throw Moses arm over his shoulder was cool. Team believes in itself and each other. This time last year players were calling out coaches and the season was already obviously gone.

Eagles might be playing the best ball in the league right now. The game isn't the same and I think we're seeing the long term affects of the FA era and it's all generally mediocre now, but we were respectable. 

We don't have a load of seasoned talent, but we have guys that care. Our draft was good, but FA was awful again, except for brown.

When will we ever take FS seriously.  It's so frustrating. Years of the interchangeable safeties BS. Then the STers and back ups starting at strong, while old CBs transition. We finally sign a decent one and he's a strong. Exhausting. 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yeah. I don’t think we’ve ever had a decent coverage LB in my lifetimeZ 

1 hour ago, charles mannley said:

My assessment is Pryor is a liability and so are our inside linebackers. They played the run well which is good, but holy **** they constantly stuck in mismatches. It always seems Brown is blowing coverage.  Disapointed in Swearingers play.

Did pryor not even come in until the second half?

Brown is pretty good in coverage, but he shouldn't be alone on deep plays against cats like Ertz. 

Swearinger would make a good SS. I have no idea why we signed him to be free. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This time last year players were calling out coaches and the season was already obviously gone.

Huh? You’re right about the first part of that statement. But we were 4-3 at this time last year. Season wasn’t gone in any way at this time last year. We were even 6-3-1 after beating Green Bay in November. The season was not gone. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Huh? You’re right about the first part of that statement. But we were 4-3 at this time last year. Season wasn’t gone in any way at this time last year. We were even 6-3-1 after beating Green Bay in November. The season was not gone. 

Yeah a crappy 4-3. From week one last year I was disappointed and thought we were as good as the team against the Giants in the finally.

It's funny because we are so down on our WRs and rightfully so, but watching the game tonight, the Eagles managed to put up 34 points with what....1 big catch by a WR?  Their WRs are mediocre too.  Alshon Jeffery seems to be a shell of his former self. 

I can't really point any blame at the defense. They contained the Eagles for plenty of time to give the offense to put more than 10 points on the board.

For me, I think the game swung when the 'Skins had 2-3 drives in a row where they ended up in 3rd & 3 and then 3rd & 1 twice, and couldn't convert due to some of the most mind boggling play calling I have witnessed.   It felt like they were handing the game back to Philly.

Really, this game didn't feel much different than any other game this season.  The 'Skins come out strong, score early. defense is balling out.  Then suddenly the offense goes into a shell, defense is forced onto the field over and over, tires out......you know the rest.

The way this team plays, they are destined for .500 because there is no consistency.  Whether it's the 49ers, Eagles, Rams, etc etc.....the results are the same.  It looked worse against the Eagles because they are obviously a cut above the other teams, but the trends in the game were still the same.  Even the beatdown the Raiders received.  Reading the stats, you'd have though it was some kind of 45-10 sort of game, but the offense really sort of faded in the 2nd half of that game too, it just didn't matter on that night.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Is this like the new version of my arl' 'Observation' post-game thread B? (God they were time-consuming to write up in detail the Monday morning. But seemed to always go down well with many. Apologies friends for getting out of that.). 

I need to come in the Stadium more often. Never knew you were doing this. Good work. 

Anyway, as I just mentioned the gameday thread, I slept right through the game (LONG, exhausting day) so thanks for the quick takes. 

Hail. 

We all saw or should have seen this coming.

The diagnoses is unmistakable. 

Non-special QB, lousy play-calling, poor defense and overall lack of talent everywhere.

I'm dialing down from 6-10.

Skins need a complete do-over.

From top to bottom.

It starts with a decent Draft position and opportunity to get a stud QB prospect from the college ranks.

But there will be a coaching change first.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Again, we’re stuck in the ooze of mediocrity with 85% of the league. Just bang average across the board. Somehow the Iggles hit the lottery and could win a ****ing super bowl. 

Anyways, we’ll be in the playoff hunt and it’ll come down to coin flip plays because we’re average af and conservative at all times

How I feel as well. Last night watching this I was thinking to myself, the cowboys and eagles got lucky AF and are poised for considerable more long term success than the skins. The skins have been stuck in rebuild/wildcard/dumpster fire 3 year cycle for about 20 years. Meanwhile everyone else in the division has experienced at least 2 13/14 win seasons as one of the elite teams that year. Our franchise ceiling is wildcard every 3-4 years. Why can’t we just have the bounces 1 year?

Not converting third downs was obviously huge. A no call on an illegal hit on Scherff that would've gave us a first down in Philly territory up 3-0 was big. The 3rd and 1 where Reed was tackled immediately close to midfield when we were up 10-3 in the 2nd quarter was the play of the game in my opinion. After that failed 3rd down, we punt and Philly ties the game at 10 a few plays later on the 65 yarder that electrified their team & crowd. If we convert there, who knows what happens. That's not to mention the play before that, we sack Wentz and the ball comes out but Wentz falls right on top of it. Finally, the missed pass on 3rd and 1 on the immediate possession after Philly's game tying score was the nail. We could no way afford to give them the ball back with time to score before half and that's exactly what we did. As we all know, they score the go ahead TD with 22 seconds till half and to compound that, they were getting the second half kickoff, which they promptly took down the field and scored. 

Then this happened. Down 7, third and 7 or 8 for Philly and we have three Redskins that have Wentz sacked. He somehow escapes and runs for 17yds. and a first down leading to another Philly TD. Once again, it was a game that was there for us to win and we just can't execute or finish off a play that could keep or turn the tables in our favor.

Wentz is really good and I can't help thinking that RGIII still haunts us. Can you imagine that the Cleveland Browns signed RGIII as their answer at QB in the spring of 2016 and therefor passed on drafting Wentz? Thanks Cleveland, because of you and what you thought of RGIII- who lasted one injury prone season for you and is now out of the league- Wentz ended up in Philly and now we have to play this beast two times a year for the next 12-15 years.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It's funny because we are so down on our WRs and rightfully so, but watching the game tonight, the Eagles managed to put up 34 points with what....1 big catch by a WR?  Their WRs are mediocre too.  Alshon Jeffery seems to be a shell of his former self. 

I can't really point any blame at the defense. They contained the Eagles for plenty of time to give the offense to put more than 10 points on the board.

For me, I think the game swung when the 'Skins had 2-3 drives in a row where they ended up in 3rd & 3 and then 3rd & 1 twice, and couldn't convert due to some of the most mind boggling play calling I have witnessed.   It felt like they were handing the game back to Philly.

Really, this game didn't feel much different than any other game this season.  The 'Skins come out strong, score early. defense is balling out.  Then suddenly the offense goes into a shell, defense is forced onto the field over and over, tires out......you know the rest.

The way this team plays, they are destined for .500 because there is no consistency.  Whether it's the 49ers, Eagles, Rams, etc etc.....the results are the same.  It looked worse against the Eagles because they are obviously a cut above the other teams, but the trends in the game were still the same.  Even the beatdown the Raiders received.  Reading the stats, you'd have though it was some kind of 45-10 sort of game, but the offense really sort of faded in the 2nd half of that game too, it just didn't matter on that night.

Well said, I feel the same way. Why our offense jumps up early, then sleepwalks the entire middle of the game, is very frustrating. I can't believe how bad Pryor is, one of our worst signings that was thankfully for only one year.

The defense was just left out there too long but the difference was Carson Wentz.  Someone compared him to Rothlisburger and that's always been my comparison as well.  This sucks, the Eagles are now set up to be good for the next15 years because the Cleveland Browns are incapable of evaluating talent.

Just my two cents on the good and the bad (mostly bad if I'm honest!)

Good:

Jordan Reed looked much better. Hopefully he's getting past that injury now and back to the player we know and love - he was pretty good.

Vernon Davis is just a beast. He doesn't age. Glad we are gonna see him a couple more years. He's still got some in the tank, and he's smart.

The new kicker didn't miss at all, despite a blown snap on one of the XP. Ok, he had 3 XPs and a 27 yarder, and he didn't look entirely convincing with those, but he got it through the posts and frankly I don't care if he looks convincing or not if he continues to do that. (I'm reaching already)

Josh Doctson is developing - 5 targets, 3 Rec - 39 yards. This is basically his rookie year and he's getting better - I think he'll be OK... and Gruden started him over Pryor so at least there is some recognition that Pryor has been awful - I don't see Pryor being here next year.

Breeland in coverage - Aside from stupid penalty, Breeland was very good in coverage. Didn't allow a catch all night.

Not actually that bad  - OK, disclaimer - it was bad, but Philly are a decent team (unfortunately) and they didn't destroy us. If Josh Norman had been healthy and our OL didn't get hit by the plague then we're in this game. If Wentz doesn't cover himself in vaseline pre-game then I'll be damned - kid is so slippery and that's burnt us big time in both games. We weren't that far away from this being a tight game, but luck and injuries were brutal. I know it's all excuses, ifs, buts and maybes, but it's hard to argue that the game isn't massively different if we didn't have half the roster on the treatment table.

Bad:

We play stupid. It's systemic at this point. Gruden calls dumbass plays every week, and then goes right back to it the next time we're in a similar situation - he isn't learning. We suck at clock management so bad it's not even funny. The players also do it - Dunbar's facemask, Breeland's facemask on the very next play - both stupid plays that get flagged 99 times in 100, and we do it back to back. Every team gets penalties, and I can live with that, that's football, but the sloppy ones for no good reason are what kills teams, and we are so bad in that area.

Wentz is the real deal. We have to get used to that, and I guess hope for some RG3 like fall from grace, but kid looks set to dominate for a decade.

Injuries. I don't know what else to say on that at this point. I actually think with a full roster we're quite a good team, but our depth is terrible, and even the backups are getting hurt so we're down to 3rd and 4th string guys in some spots. Again, every team gets injuries but we do seem to have been hit unusually hard this season and it's key players we have lost every time. It's either one of our better starters, or it's a backup in a spot we're already thin. It's killing us and shows no sign of letting up.

Swearinger in coverage. Man oh man.

3rd Down and short - Stop getting cute and just get the damn first. Why do we make it so difficult? When I cross the street, I don't try to do back flips whilst juggling, I walk across the damn street. Why do we try and make it so much more complicated than it needs to be?

The run game - I know it wasn't overly successful, but Fat Rob had a couple of nice runs and abandoning it kills PA, leading to Kirk having guys flying in his face all the time. Behind a banged up OL running the ball is less than ideal, but so is passing the ball when both your tackles and your pro-bowl guard are injured.

Pryor. I don't really need to say any more - time to move on in the offseason. Depending on the price, I would be looking at trading for Martavis Bryant - Probably a polarising viewpoint, and I know he's a troublemaker but with all the drama he's gonna be REAL cheap - what else are you going to get with a 6th/7th rounder? (Keith Marshall, Sudfeld etc) Take a flyer on a player that's shown something or pick up more camp fodder in the draft? He's 6'4 and runs a 4.4 40dash and was establishing himself as a really nice weapon with some huge plays before the suspension. Maybe a bit of a punt, and you gotta be secure he isn't going to destroy the locker room chemistry, but at this point in time I'd pull the trigger on a trade and see what he's got. If he sucks, then fine, cut him in the offseason, but after the suspension and now the drama in Pitt, I have a feeling he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder and ball out for someone. The Free agent WR market is weak and if Kirk is walking then we're going to need to draft a QB.

Cousins  - following on from above point really, he's packing the stats as usual, but I don't think we can pay what he wants, and what some other team (SF probably) will. I can't justify it. He isn't good enough. I've flip-flopped on this for a while now, as have a lot of people, and that's because Kirk is better than what we're used to. He's a good QB. He's not elite, and he's not as good as he thinks he is, but he is good. He doesn't get it done under the lights, and he can't carry a game in the way that Rodgers can for example but he does get it done most of the time however he crumbles in adversity or when the pressure is on and retreats into a shell. I don't know what the answer is, if I'm honest, but I don't think it's Kirk Cousins. It's hard to walk away because he is a solid pro, puts up good numbers, is way better than anything we've had for years, and we finally have an OL that's worth standing behind, but he doesn't have the intangibles to make him worth what he thinks he is.

I could go on, but I won't at this point. Need to get on with stuff.

I don’t understand why people are so confident in a victory against Dallas? Short week, team is ravaged by injuries, and Dallas seems to have put it together a bit. We’re at a turning point, and I’m not sure we have the bodies to push past. They’re just too hurt. 

7 hours ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Wait, people think the Eagles defense is good? We were moving the ball on them at will.  They sacked Kirk ONCE in the first half (and that was because he held on to the ball too long).  The other sacks came when Scherff was out, Moses was hobbled and we were shifting people in and out. I don't believe in the Eagles defense AT ALL.  I actually think that will be their undoing. I was surprised at how easily we moved the ball on them frankly. 

Having said that, this is the worst game Jay Gruden has called since he's been here I think. There's no excuse for those 3rd and short yardage calls. NONE. Gruden is actually football stupid sometimes. I mean, you have 3rd and short with about 2 minutes and you KNOW they get the ball back to start the second half. Why would you throw it on 3rd and short? Not only to stop the clock but to give them the ball back with ample time to score (which they DID). 

Also I know everyone likes Manusky and I don't think you can argue what Tomsula has done with the defensive line but Manusky seems completely INCAPABLE of making second half adjustments.  With the exception of the Raiders game I have never seen him make adjustments in the second half that made the unit play better. He HAS TO be better at it. 

Lastly, Kirk took too many sacks. Throw the ball away. You can't hold on to the ball forever in the NFL.  Throw it away!

I agree with the notion that the play call on 3rd down at the end of the first half was bad, but a running play would've resulted in the clock being stopped as well due to the two minute warning.

21 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

I don’t understand why people are so confident in a victory against Dallas? Short week, team is ravaged by injuries, and Dallas seems to have put it together a bit. We’re at a turning point, and I’m not sure we have the bodies to push past. They’re just too hurt. 

This.  They have pretty much the same offense as last year when they crushed a lot of people.  Heavy dosage of Zeke and Dak's ability to break from the pocket are extremely scary.  Plus they still have Witten and Dez.  Will be tough to stop all that. 

Archived