Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

Just now, Hersh said:

It’s a representative government and a rep/Senator doing something for their district/State isn’t a big deal to me. Now doing something for a handful of rich donors is distinct difference to me. Getting rid pork barrel projects was only an optics thing but not really good for government.

That said, some of it is super wasteful.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It’s a representative government and a rep/Senator doing something for their district/State isn’t a big deal to me. Now doing something for a handful of rich donors is distinct difference to me. Getting rid pork barrel projects was only an optics thing but not really good for government.

I disagree. A bill to expand Health Care that includes $5000000 for a new federal building in your District just to get you to vote for it is still bribery. And no I only use those two things as examples I just made up not trying to say that specifically happen. You know what I mean

46 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I disagree. A bill to expand Health Care that includes $5000000 for a new federal building in your District just to get you to vote for it is still bribery. And no I only use those two things as examples I just made up not trying to say that specifically happen. You know what I mean

Except things received related to the ACA votes were directly related to health care as it related to their own states. See the “Cornhusker kickback.”

It wasn’t something random. 

I would agree that items totally unrelated to a bill to get a vote is more sketchy to say the least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Except things received related to the ACA votes were directly related to health care as it related to their own states. See the “Cornhusker kickback.”

It wasn’t something random. 

I would agree that items totally unrelated to a bill to get a vote is more sketchy to say the least.

I said Healthcare just because it is the first piece that came in on my regarding legislation. Pick another topic if you so desire. I was talking about unrelated pork in bills in general. I bet if you read any Bill close enough you will find unrelated things just to get certain people to vote for it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am hoping that the first immediate effect of the tax scam is that these Rs in NY, CA, etc., get their reelection hopes crushed.

According to TurboTax, these are the states that the tax bill should play poorly in and their state tax %.

California 13.3%
Oregon 9.9%
Minnesota 9.85%
Iowa 8.98%
New Jersey 8.97%
Vermont 8.95%
District of Columbia 8.95%
New York 8.82%
Hawaii 8.25%
Wisconsin 7.65%

Edit:  Unfortunately, I don't have time today to analyze how many R seats are held in these states.  Off the top of my head, 9 in NY, 14 in CA and zero in DC.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

13 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am hoping that the first immediate effect of the tax scam is that these Rs in NY, CA, etc., get their reelection hopes crushed.

Denham and Issa are at the forefront of the target list in California. Trump lost big in 2016 here..so the 14 CA GOP House Reps will all have a target on their back.

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

According to TurboTax, these are the states that the tax bill should play poorly in and their state tax %.

California 13.3%
Oregon 9.9%
Minnesota 9.85%
Iowa 8.98%
New Jersey 8.97%
Vermont 8.95%
District of Columbia 8.95%
New York 8.82%
Hawaii 8.25%
Wisconsin 7.65%

And how many of them are largely blue?  8 or 9? Hard to not believe that the GOP targeted them because of it. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

And how many of them are largely blue?  8 or 9? Hard to not believe that the GOP targeted them because of it. 

Yes, no question.  Only 2 of them went for Trump (WI and Iowa), but there are a bunch of R seats in very blue states (check my edit above). 

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Here's fun news, the orange man is planning to punish Federal employees to help pay for his wonderful tax plan.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2017/12/14/pay-freeze-federal-employees-2019/

They still get step increases each year though. So pay freeze is a bit misleading.

But I do get it and it's typical of the GOP to hate on public servants.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

They still get step increases each year though. So pay freeze is a bit misleading.

But I do get it and it's typical of the GOP to hate on public servants.

Not everyone gets a step increase so let's say you're only making the salary of a GS-7 step 4 (in the DC metro area) you would be stuck at your current salary with no chance of additional income. These freezes have a bunch of other long term consequences.

It's the people on Capitol Hill who are stuffing their pockets not your average public servant.

This breaks it down better than I ever could: https://www.fedsmith.com/2017/12/18/pay-freeze-impact-federal-employees/

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Not everyone gets a step increase so let's say you're only making the salary of a GS-7 step 4 (in the DC metro area) you would be stuck at your current salary with no chance of additional income. These freezes have a bunch of other long term consequences.

It's the people on Capitol Hill who are stuffing their pockets not your average public servant.

This breaks it down better than I ever could: https://www.fedsmith.com/2017/12/18/pay-freeze-impact-federal-employees/

Don't the step increases occur every other year from steps 5-7?

Also..I'm married to a federal public servant, so trust me that I totally get the ramifications of the pay freeze. I hate it too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Don't the step increases occur every other year from steps 5-7?

Also..I'm married to a federal public servant, so trust me that I totally get the ramifications of the pay freeze. I hate it too.

Steps 1-4 are yearly

4-7 every two years

7-10 every three years

Susan Collins continued: "See, i'm and American person, and this bill makes me way better off.  Not only do I save a ton on taxes, but the Koch brothers have saved me several seats on their private jets for when we flee the country after the torches and pitchforks come for us."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1