Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My interview with Stan Lee! (link now available)

Burgold

It looks like there is a strong chance I may get to interview Stan Lee in advance to his DC appearance at Awesome Con. I need to forward a list of questions. I have my own, but am curious what you would ask. 

I need to send the list in by June 2nd, but will probably email by tonight.

Here it is--

http://studio.xistance.com/2017/07/26/moments-time-stan-lee/

"Do you feel a movie based on 'Maximum Carnage' should be a stand-alone Spiderman movie with Venom and Avenger cameos or an Avengers movie with Spiderman and Venom?  Do you know if either one is in the works or being talked about?"

"Who's your favorite superhero? Not just one you've created, but in general."

"Do you think Marvel Studios will ever get their hands back on the X-Men, or are you fine the way it is with Fox having the movie rights?  Do you feel the same way about the Fantastic Four?"

Any winners here--

To a degree, you are this generation's Albert Hitch****... The creator stepping inside his own films. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, what has been your favorite cameo so far?

What authors did you read as a child? What stories formed the foundation that launched your imagination?

Among your pantheon of characters, are there any heroes or villains that you would want to redo or never got the reaction/love that you expected from your readership?

What was your favorite character to write?

Are you happy with the direction the Marvel Universe has gone since you handed over the reins? Obviously successful, but what might Stan have done differently?

Creators often have a different view of their work than the general public. Which storyline or arc do you think is your best work? 

did you ever want to write Batman or Superman or any of those other guys' characters?

Which is his favorite film cameo?

good luck. Stan is a hero of mine,, i've grown up on his work, and enjoy it immensely to this day.  He created enduring American heroes and legends, and is one of the most prolific writers in American literary history.

~Bang

When creating characters, at what point in their development are you adding depth to their backstories to them? How do you decide what is going to drive that character to be "who" they are?

I ask that because I think that's part of the reason why some of these Marvel Movies do better than DC. The characters have more layers to them. 

What Character that you created turned out to be more popular than you expected? Who turned out to be less popular?

1 hour ago, Bang said:

did you ever want to write Batman or Superman or any of those other guys' characters?

I was wondering the same thing and it turns out he did some work for DC back in 2001 with a 13 issue series called "Just Imagine".  And he did "Just Imagine Stan Lee's Batman", along with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.  In the Batman one, he named him Wayne Williams and he was African-American instead of Caucasian with other origin changes.

I never knew he did that work, I might have to check those out now.  It would be interesting to bring those up and ask him some more questions about that.  Here would be my questions:

Back in 2001 you worked with DC Comics with a 13 comic series called "Just Imagine", where it was your version of Batman, Superman, etc.  

1.  How did that come about?  

2.  What was your favorite DC character that you remade?  

3.  Was there ever an opportunity for you to work for DC on a full-time basis and move forward with a new series for one of those characters that you recreated in that mini-series?

That's a very cool one, Don't Taze. There are several others, but that's intriguing. In part, because I bet it's not something he's asked about in every interview. Some other very good questions too. I hope I can use them all (well, not all or 'em, but many). I know my  time will be pretty limited.

Burgold, that is SO COOL. Fingers crossed that you do indeed land the interview.

My question: which Marvel character are you most eager to see enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I remember the Just Imagines.. never saw many issues of it, and i ran my store for 6 years. Even with all the Bat-Hype at the time, never saw many of those issues.

One thing Stan always did was a lot his characters first and last names had the same letter.. Matt Murdoch, Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm.

Ask him why the switch with Johnny Storm, Don Blake and Ben Grimm... 

Also, since Ben Grimm is famously Jewish, why didn't he have more of a Jewish name?

~Bang

While knowing *nothing* about comics or the industry, I'd like to know how he goes about writing - how it differs from more "conventional" styles (novel writing, essay writing, news copy, etc.), who were his influences, and working collaboratively in a field which is usually solitary, how he deals with a creative block.

I'd also ask him if there's anything he learned about the visual/artistic side. He worked so closely with folks like Jack Kirby, surely he must have picked up a thing or two about inking or shading and maybe even found a way to incorporate that into his writing.

5 minutes ago, Bang said:

I remember the Just Imagines.. never saw many issues of it, and i ran my store for 6 years. Even with all the Bat-Hype at the time, never saw many of those issues.

One thing Stan always did was a lot his characters first and last names had the same letter.. Matt Murdoch, Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm.

Ask him why the switch with Johnny Storm, Don Blake and Ben Grimm... 

Also, since Ben Grimm is famously Jewish, why didn't he have more of a Jewish name?

~Bang

Yeah, I just looked online to see what they would cost, thinking at least $15-20+ per issue, cause Stan Lee doing DC heroes and all, and most are $6 or less, for NM condition (only looked at one website).   Of course, the internet has greatly lowered the value of comics/cards imo, cause anyone can buy/sell now with eBay, etc.  

Being a kid growing up in the 80s, before the internet, was great.  I used to love riding my bike to the comic book store or local book store and picking up the newest ones that I read.  Or the Saturday trips to the neighboring "bigger town" that had a mall with a better bookstore and comic selection and also sported a comic book store downtown.  Usually me and one of my good friends would go and load up on old issues, then hit the mall and buy the new issues.  

Comic book conventions were so cool back then, where you got a chance to see the actual 1st prints of some of the classics, like Superman #1, Amazing Spiderman #1, etc.  

What was it like going up against the the DC franchise back in the day? Any particular moments that stand out?

Also, do you think that the more flawed nature of some of your characters is the reason why they appeal to so many people on a deeper, more personal level?

I'd be curious to know how the long-time Marvel people feel about being bought by Disney.  (Both at the time, and now, looking back.)  

But I'm not sure how much I'd put in their answers.  It's like asking somebody, on camera, how he feels about somebody who has the power to fire him.  

Archived