Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band turns 50

Sticksboi05

Best song on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Best song?

• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • With a Little Help from My Friends
    • Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    • Getting Better
    • Fixing a Hole
    • She's Leaving Home
    • Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    • Within You Without You
    • When I'm Sixty-Four
    • Lovely Rita
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
    • A Day in the Life

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band turns 50 on June 2 in the U.S.

No matter how much of an "I'm cool" contrarian you are about The Beatles, can't argue how important this album was to pop music in general. Probably not their best work, but certainly their most experimental.

What's your favorite song on the album, and if you were actually old enough in 1967, what was it like hearing it back then?

Time to let go of the Beatles. Only song of theirs that has stood the test of time is "Eleanor Rigby".

Considering they wrote 275 songs, that's pretty sad. Zeppelin destroyed the Beatles. Then, Metallica

destroyed Zeppelin. Then, Napster destroyed Metallica. And there you go kids, the history of Rock n Roll.

Forget the Beatles. Time to dump the past and embrace the future!

Just now, Keith Huddleston said:

Time to let go of the Beatles. Only song of theirs that has stood the test of time is "Eleanor Rigby".

Considering they wrote 275 songs, that's pretty sad. Zeppelin destroyed the Beatles. Then, Metallica

destroyed Zeppelin. Then, Napster destroyed Metallica. And there you go kids, the history of Rock n Roll.

You're in luck. It's hard to do---almost impossible--but we actually have another human here who is a famous member--and I mean one able to operate a motor vehicle and dress himself and is employed (also rumored to use power tools) and ACTUALLY HAS A SIMILAR VIEW!!!!

I know, right? Name's zoony.

:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

You lost me at T.

The Fall of 2004, I'm in Chicago. And I've gone for an early morning swim the hotel I was at. And as I'm in the changies after towelling off, this big American guy comes in. I say morning, he stops excitedly like he's just run into the President ..... 'You're from England?!' exclaims the now very excited chubby guy in the floral shirt, much to my amusement. 'Yup, for my sins' ..... 'London?'  ...... (London? God give me F-ing strength! F-ing Hollywood!) 'No mate. The other end the Country. Liverpool' ..... The guy looks like he's about to self-combust ..... 'You're from LIVE-ERR-POOL?!!!!!' (Whereever the F that is) ..... 'OMG! OMG! OMG!' ..... I've now gone past mild amusement to wondering what the Hell was going on here and who this utter crank was .... 'STAY there. I'll be right back!' and off he legs it out the door. So I continue towelling off and dressing, bemused by the incident when the door flys open, and the little-excited Floridian madman had returned with a red faced equally excited woman in tow. Thankfully I now had my boxies on to spare my modesty. 'Sir. SIR!' she panted. Not at my physique before her. But presumably, the running down from their room. 'My husband tells me you're from LIVE-ERR-POOL! <That mysterious place again> and I just HAD to meet you to ask ..... Do you know the Beatles?' ..... And they were both DEADLY serious bless their delusionally insane Floridian minds. Like yeah, I used to roadie for them like ..... Seriously people, get a frigging grip. 

But that's honestly been a regular theme when Americans hear your accent and find it you are indeed from a City that has more connections to their Country than most anywhere else in the World. But all they know about is those four lads that. changed the face of popular music forever and who've stood the test of time. 

Makes you even prouder to come from the same streets. 

Oh, the only answer to the poll is A Day in the Life. You're welcome. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Keith Huddleston said:

What?  

Popular music today probably doesn't exist without them.  Maybe it does, but you cannot deny their influence.  Considering the short amount of time they were together, the depth and width of their catalog is unbelievable.  

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Metallica sux

It's incredible what they have done with a catalog of 2.5 really good albums and a whole bunch of crap. I can't think of any other band/artist that has produced utter crap for the most part but are still so iconic to their genre.

That could be a thread of it's own.

Anyways, I went with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That said, I never understood this album. It just didn't do it for me and I don't understand why it is so highly regarded among their work.  

Beatles went in a completely different direction with Sgt Pepper. Progressive rock, psychedelia, and art rock became incredibley popular following its release. Sgt Pepper is also when The Beatles seemed to hit their stride. They weren't just writing 2-3 minute pop songs. Almost an entirely different band on that album compared to its two predecessors Rubber Soul and Revolver.  

Honestly, not a big Beatles fan, and even less fond of this album. While there were some significant recording advances made, the idea of a concept album that marked a complete change in a group's musical direction had actually happened the year before, by the Beatles favorite American group, the Byrds Fifth Dimension LP.  

I do love Jeff Beck's version of A Day in the Life off of the Live at Ronnie Scott's LP, and I quite like a handful of Beatles songs from other LPs, as well as many of McCartney's solo hits.

2 hours ago, Keith Huddleston said:

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Metallica sux

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Metallica achieves the physically impossible.

They suck and blow at the same time.

Beatles rule.

'Tallica rules.

Dont let a troll make you a troll.

#shesleavinghome

The first psychedelic concept album. When it came out I was blown away.  It's one of my favorite Beatles albums, after Revolver.

A Day in the Life is the best song, but really so many. I actually think that they are all great.

I just went through my album collection to pack it up. I'm going turn them into MP3 files.

3 hours ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Considering they wrote 275 songs, that's pretty sad.

Here's something you could try saying, next time the subject comes up:

"I understand that as composers of popular music, the Beatles are held up as the gold standard by people who actually study this stuff, but I really don't care for their songs, and I'm too young to have any clue about their musical and cultural impact."

That way, you might sound less uninformed.

You could maybe also watch this:

The Beatles - a musical appreciation and analysis - by composer, Howard Goodall CBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc

So anyway, A Day in the Life

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

A Day in the life is an amazing song, but she's leaving home is incredibly written too. Hard to pick a bad track really. Even the cheesy when I'm 64 is a good tune... and has a fair amount of truth to it.

When I'm 64 is a lovely song.  Accessible yet deceptively complicated.  The essence of Paul McCartney's style.

Archived