Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Now’s the time: Redskins fans should give their hearts to the other local teams

Sticksboi05

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nows-the-time-redskins-fans-should-consider-checking-out-other-nfl-teams/2017/03/12/50470c56-0748-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.110ea026d216

The romance between Washington and Daniel Snyder’s football team has been strained for 15 years. The breakups, the tears, the anger and recriminations have come every few seasons. This must be rock bottom, the city thinks. Things will get better. We have put so much into the relationship; we share so many memories.

But now, with the firing of general manager Scot McCloughan last week and the prospect that quarterback Kirk Cousins may want to leave the toxic franchise ASAP, it may finally be time for Washington to start dating other teams.

Not a divorce, dividing up who gets the burgundy-and-gold trash can and who gets the Art Monk jersey. But a time to get some space, see what it’s like to go out with somebody who doesn’t embarrass you in public or make you sad. See what it’s like to go out with someone who shares your values, makes you proud.

9 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

The only saving grace for me as a Redskins fan is that I live in Chicago and the Redskins have basically owned the Bears since the mid-80s. It's not exactly a point of pride, but there's at least no shame in being a Redskins fan here.

There is shame everywhere, don't fool yourself. 

7 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

There is shame everywhere, don't fool yourself. 

Truth here.  I've endured the worst ****fest over the last 28 years I've been in GA, and have to take it from ****ing Falcons fans.  <but for some strange reason, every game here since 2012 has been at least close to 50/50 fan-wise, and I'm kinda proud of that.>

Hubby's gotten into the Caps, so we're good. :hug-kiss: But he knows this is the first site I read every morning, and the Redskins have my heart.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I take my fandom where i want... Not where some dickhead at a newspaper tells me too.

Out of bounds imo

Why do you think it's out of bounds? Legit question, not asking in a sarcastic way. 

I do think it's petty but to me the sentiment wasn't as much "give up on the Redskins" but "don't forget, there are other teams in D.C."

Someone that changes loyalty based on success (or a lack there of), is just a bandwagon fan. Obviously the Post thinks all Redskins' fans are bandwagon fans...

Edit below:

I am at my limit of free articles so I only have the title and the snippet above to base my opinion on but, I definitely understand why the Redskins do not have a relationship, good or otherwise, with the Post

19 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Why do you think it's out of bounds? Legit question, not asking in a sarcastic way. 

I do think it's petty but to me the sentiment wasn't as much "give up on the Redskins" but "don't forget, there are other teams in D.C."

Because they're looking at things from a biased viewpoint. To them, this is cause for fans to start looking at other teams. To me, this is an unfortunate situation between two parties.... No reason to take their attention anywhere else. 

A newspaper should have no business telling a fan who to root for, when using another teams issues as the reason why. Its just weak. And it would surely affect  viewership and merchandise sales. 

I was 8 when the Bullets won the NBA title, didn't click for me.

I was 13 when the Orioles won the World Series, my first major league game I went to was the Orioles in 79, I've moved on to support the now local team in the Nationals, and yet baseball has never clicked.

The Caps have been winners since I was age 13 with a few rare seasons, hockey has never clicked.

The Redskins won a Super Bowl when I was 12 and it just clicked. Football is my sport and the Redskins are my team.

I support the other local teams. Root for them to win their respective titles. Enjoy the ups and feel the pain when they lose.

But none of them are the Redskins.

All that Snyder has done is continued to erode my passion but that passion is not transferrable. It's the Redskins or nothing.

15 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

ComPost actively trying to persuade fans to act like loser cowboy/seahawk fans and abandon ship.

But some say I'm crazy when I post that the paper has an agenda and intenionally takes negative, speculative slants.

You don't need to read any paper to realize that this franchise is run like ****. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Because they're looking at things from a biased viewpoint. To them, this is cause for fans to start looking at other teams. To me, this is an unfortunate situation between two parties.... No reason to take their attention anywhere else. 

A newspaper should have no business telling a fan who to root for, when using another teams issues as the reason why. Its just weak. And it would surely affect  viewership and merchandise sales. 

Gotcha - I was actually very surprised this was even written myself, given they had to know the flack they'd take from readers. For the record, I'm not quitting my fandom.

To reiterate, I meant to post this in The Tailgate not The Stadium - apologies.

Washington Post thinks this, do a 180. WP has had a burr up it's tail for decades. *We* don't KNOW what went down in the FO. The team has played better the last 2 years...WTF do you all want anyway?

NOTHING. I say again, NOTHING has happened that negatively effects the team we will field this fall. In fact *I* think we've gotten better. Why not wait until the PRODUCT is un-Sat before crucifying the FO.

I live in Ohio and somehow I manage to attend 2 games every year. Honestly I will always continue rooting for them (even if they go 0-16) as long as they remain the REDSKINS!!

If  they changed their name and go on to a 16-0 season I wouldn't watch a game anywhere (including t.v)

Our dysfunction is run of the mill stuff don't kid yourself. Look at just the teams in our division for instance.  Given their recent history I would guess that the Cowboys are even more dysfunctional than us. I give the Dak/Elliott  show two seasons before the wheels come completely off and they are right back to the 8 & 8 S show that they have proven themselves to be. Philly same thing. Ran off a HOF coach and all of their talent for a flash in the pan college coach who is already outta the NFL Completely having to rebuild a team that was the most talented in the division

Let's see the Giants where do I start. The owner is a bigger dick than Dan robbing 36 miles from his division rival. Trashing a chartered jet, obj head case in need of psychiatric help just to make it through a game.  

Point is every team in the NFL has some level of utter stupidity  cases of dysfunction and malfeasance. Shakira nation's capital every reporter thinks that Woodward and Bernstein. Give it a rest for Gods sake . We get it you don't like the owner we don't either

Archived