Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DNC, its New Chair, and The Road Ahead for the Dems to the 2018 Mid-terms

Jumbo

The idea/need for this topic as a thread was discussed in another thread, but this OP will be brief and I'll ask for some help on maybe posting some background on the various less-discussed major figures involved in the dems moving forward.

Personal take: Wasserman and "the whole deal" was a disgrace and an indictment for the dems. Were it almsot anyone else than Don or Cruz, I'd have left the dems/Hillary. I'm not a fan or a hater of hillary. While I'm still building on a small bed of knowledge and a week-old awareness of him, I've had a very positive reaction to "mayor pete" of south bend Indiana, but it looks like he's a long shot for DNC chair and Perez seems favored over the next-fave, Ellison.  I think there's still a great deal of serious division within the dems and it looks grim, other than if this grass roots stuff is real, and it is imo (certainly in this region), and if it can stay focused and stay organized, it will be formidable.

Let's aim for a solid discussion. Let's reduce the typical game-playing of all kinds that goes on in here--inc. the occasional phenomena of some newer player or drive-by guy trying to "hide an agenda" via "clever" and "subtle" or any other tactics. Call out what you are, loud and proud and take your stand.  (and please do not address the comments in this last paragraph when posting in the thread. thank you)

Wasserman and Preibus are both such obnoxious, sleazy, classless, human beings. Apparently that's the type of person you need to be to be chair of the two leading political parties. 

Perez seems massively overly competent and too smart for the role.

Ellison seems like he has a propensity to say things that will embarrass the party. Reasoned, subtle and elaborate positions on tough issues is not what's required. Four word answers please.

Pete Buttigieg looks like a very interesting character. Harvard Graduate, Rhodes Scholar, military veteran and openly gay. Got to think the alt-right would have fun with that ... openly gay and last name starting with Butt.

Sally Boynton Brown appears to lack any level of political sophistication given her statements about "white people needing to shut up and not interrupt". You can only guess what opponents will make of her.

Honestly, I like the concept of a panel of 3 or so DNC "chairs," and I'm not sure if a single person can "succeed."  It's clear that the tent is too big at this point for a single person to represent everyone.

You need someone who reps the progressives and excites the youth.

You also need someone who speaks to the 2nd and 3rd ring suburbs and even rural areas and isn't quite as liberal on the social and fiscal fronts.  A moderate.

Having a triumvirate of Ellison, Perez, and Buttigieg would cover all the bases, though now that I think about it, they probably would need to bring a woman on board to avoid controversy.

However, if we can only pick one, I lean towards Buttigieg at the moment.  Unless there's some bad oppo out there, I think he, as something of an unknown, would help the image of the DNC more than someone like Ellison.

Not to mention, on paper, if you were trying to bridge all these disparate Democratic groups, a 35 year old gay military veteran from Indiana is about as close as you could get to the imagined "ideal."

Thoroughly amused at the progressive ragequit at the thought of Perez winning.

Seriously, if you want to truly change the Dems, y'all need to keep bayonet-rushing the local and state parties. DNC chair isn't that important, and American political parties aren't top-down beasts any more.

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Wasserman and Preibus are both such obnoxious, sleazy, classless, human beings. Apparently that's the type of person you need to be to be chair of the two leading political parties. 

Although, I'm wondering, is that what you want, to be a chair of a Party?  Fanatically partisan?  

After all, it's not like the Party Chair has to be electable.  (Might even be a disqualification.  If the dude is electable, then he should be a candidate.)  

Hmm, I was thinking creating a thread to counter balance Kilmer17's Save the GOP thread.  Was too lazy.  May want to include 2020 in the discussion also. I read an article from Politico on how wide open the 2020 Dem race is.

I'll comment more later but it's absolutely vital that the Dems  starting win at the local/state level in 2018. That's even more important than trying win back the US House or Senate in 2018.  Picking Ellison, probably not the best the move the Dems could make today.

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Although, I'm wondering, is that what you want, to be a chair of a Party?  Fanatically partisan?  

After all, it's not like the Party Chair has to be electable.  (Might even be a disqualification.  If the dude is electable, then he should be a candidate.)  

It's the old dilemma ... appeal to the base and alienate the independents, or fail to energize the base sufficiently.

You shouldn't provide campaign ads for the other side though.

Biden should run in 2020.

1 minute ago, jschuck12001 said:

These candidates are so far left, it's the beginning of the Democrats transformation into the party of identity politics.

Going far right is what got the Reps the White House.  What's wrong with far left?

Of course "far left" now is simply borderline left 50 years ago.

Far left isn't bad.

It is a interesting dynamic with O pushing Perez and the grudge some feel for OFA, throw in the energized far left(and the disdain some show them) and then mix in the Ellison crowd..

I'd wish them luck, but I'd be lying. :ols:

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Biden should run in 2020.

Going far right is what got the Reps the White House.  What's wrong with far left?

Of course "far left" now is simply borderline left 50 years ago.

Far left isn't bad.

Read this article by Alan Dershowitz, it explains it all and there are many on the left who feel this way.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/national-party-news/321040-i-will-leave-the-democrats-if-keith-ellison-is-elected

I like Perez.  Not sure why the Bernie camp isn't on board with him.  Not an Ellison fan.  Too much red meat in his past.  I saw Alan Dershowitz throw a tantrum about him on CNN last night.  Not that any one opinion represents the masses, but it was pretty stunning to see his level of condemnation for Ellison.  It was brutal.  

I think there's a lot of energy out there for the Dems to lock onto.  Gerrymandering, especially in home state of NC, will continue to big a huge hurdle for them going forward.  If they don't figure out a way to stop demonizing religion and responsible gun ownership, they will have a tough road ahead.  

On a somewhat related note, I see that House Bill 610 is moving forward.  This is the beginning of the end for public education, and the start of the voucher program.  If opposed, consider calling your reps.  The list of things it does away with is quite striking.  

4 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

These candidates are so far left, 

Perez served under both Clinton and Obama in senior roles. He worked for years as a Federal prosecutor. Awarded honorary doctorates from Brown, Drexel and Oberlin.

Perez is 'so far left'? 

Archived