Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DNC, its New Chair, and The Road Ahead for the Dems to the 2018 Mid-terms

Jumbo

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Perez served under both Clinton and Obama in senior roles. He worked for years as a Federal prosecutor. Awarded honorary doctorates from Brown, Drexel and Oberlin.

Perez is 'so far left'? 

He and Ellison are radicals, those wiki emails that were leaked show Perez's is all about identity politics, I consider that to be far left.

Anyone can Google Keith Ellison and read about his history, if that's not far left then what is?

9 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

WTF is Donald Trump's problem? I almost thought that tweet sounded human til the last sentence fragment.

Let me translate for you.

Trump

"Hey dumbasses, you just played right into my hands by picking 2 radicals to lead the DNC, Thanks".

24 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Perez served under both Clinton and Obama in senior roles. He worked for years as a Federal prosecutor. Awarded honorary doctorates from Brown, Drexel and Oberlin.

Perez is 'so far left'? 

Ya gotta remember that every person the Dems have ever run have been the most left ever! The right was in a little bit of a bind trying to call Hillary the most left ever when she ran against Bernie, but they still tried to at times.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ya gotta remember that every person the Dems have ever run have been the most left ever! The right was in a little bit of a bind trying to call Hillary the most left ever when she ran against Bernie, but they still tried to at times.

Maybe "Perez is all about identity politics" is code for "Perez is a highly respected and experienced civil rights attorney"?

As for his work as Secretary of the Department of Labor  ... according to CBS News

"In that job, he helped push for new overtime rules to ensure workers get overtime pay, extended overtime protections for home care workers and extended minimum wage protections. He also helped establish worker safety rules, and under his leadership the department provided paid sick leave and ensured employment protections for federal contractor employees ...."

Totally sounds like a communist who hates America.

29 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

He and Ellison are radicals, those wiki emails that were leaked show Perez's is all about identity politics, I consider that to be far left.

Anyone can Google Keith Ellison and read about his history, if that's not far left then what is?

Let me translate for you.

Trump

"Hey dumbasses, you just played right into my hands by picking 2 radicals to lead the DNC, Thanks".

LOL sure thing. They could have Ted Cruz or whomever conservatives like these days be the DNC chair and people on the right would make claims that the person is the most liberal radical ever. It's just a joke at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

What will Perez do to bring moderates who voted for Trump and GOPers to the D side in 2018?

I think the main thing he has to do is put the platform to the forefront. Hillary had a pretty good platform and it was quite detailed, but the problem is that she spent a lot of time telling people to go on line to read it. She did address it in the stump speeches to a degree, but so much time was spent negatively defining and attacking Trump that people didn't know what she was for.. other than more or less a continuation of Obama.

The D's probably have to go on two tracks. They need to take Trump's cue and not let him off the hook for all the horrible, illegal, unconstitutional things he does nor let him off the hook for any negatives in American life (economy, security, etc.) but they also have to start giving equal time and weight to what they want to do. The D's have an easier time as the opposition party. The guy who gets to complain always has it better, but you also have to give the voter something to grasp... in Trump's case it was a wall, an anti-immigration, anti-muslim agenda, and apparently making America Great Again (I guess sloganeering beats plans).

2 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Identity politics is the basic foundation of the Democratic party going back to their establishment. How can that be a measure of how far left they are?

Yeah, how can the Dems hope for anything positive in 2018 when the president's approval rating barely treads above 40% and disapproval in mid 50's barely a month into the presidency.  I mean it's not like the midterms are a referendum on the administration or anything.:rolleyes: 

28 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Identity politics is the basic foundation of the Democratic party going back to their establishment. How can that be a measure of how far left they are?

No No, Obama did not play to identity politics which is why he won more votes than anyone in the history of our presidential elections.  Its getting worse, read this paragraph from email 4428 of the wikileaked Hillary emails. Perez is basically saying they will flip the script on Bernie as if the only voters who like him are white. You guys can say what you want but this isn't right and I wouldn't support anyone who looks to sabotage another candidate of the same party so he can lock in votes from a specific racial demographic.

Its bull****, this isn't about Trump, we know what he is and I didn't vote for him so please leave out the Trump bs when responding.

The email is a quote from Tom Perez and the full email can be read here.  https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/4429

" 6. Nevada is an opportunity to fight back on so many levels. First, the current storyline is that she does not connect well with young voters. Given that Nevada is far more demographically representative of America, I am confident that HRC can do well with all African Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans (dont forget the sizeable population of Asian Americans in Nevada, including Filipinos.). Emmy and the team have a good plan to attract all minority voters. When we do well there, then the narrative changes from Bernie kicks ass among young voters to Bernie does well only among young white liberals-- that is a different story and a perfect lead in to South Carolina, where once again, we can work to attract young voters of color. So I think Nevada is a real opportunity , and I would strongly urge HRC to get out there within a couple days of NH." 

21 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Was Perez a strategist for Hillary?  Because that sounds like talking strategy.

It's definitely strategy and might be smart strategy. But the way it was used mixed with Ellisons background is a "Hell No" from me.

I'm never going to support someone who only cares about one race or only minority races. It's that simple.

55 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

No No, Obama did not play to identity politics which is why he won more votes than anyone in the history of our presidential elections.  Its getting worse, read this paragraph from email 4428 of the wikileaked Hillary emails. Perez is basically saying they will flip the script on Bernie as if the only voters who like him are white. You guys can say what you want but this isn't right and I wouldn't support anyone who looks to sabotage another candidate of the same party so he can lock in votes from a specific racial demographic.

Its bull****, this isn't about Trump, we know what he is and I didn't vote for him so please leave out the Trump bs when responding.

Somewhere along the line Sanders realized there was a large white lower working class population (realistically, still the largest potential voting block in the US) out there and even though many of them were not voting Sanders came to believe coupled with the young college educated (again mostly white) population, if you could drive these people to vote, you could win a national election (there's an old quote (before the primaries started) out there somewhere about him talking about the working class white vote and its potential electoral power).

Based on the belief, he tried to win the Democratic primary without doing the traditional work in minority (especially African-American) communities and voters.  He believed he could win the Democratic nomination with young college educated voters and blue color and lower class whites (or at least have an enough of an effect to drive changes that he wanted).  As a result, he was weak among the African American community (which was clear in polls at the time) and as a result as primaries swung from heavily white states (Iowa and NH) to more diverse states, Hillary was likely to do better.

In your opinion, is there a way that could communicate that to somebody without practicing identity politics?

Perez was right.  It was clear based on the polling data at the time.  Can I communicate what the available evidence says about an up coming election related to race and not practice identity politics in your opinion?

23 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

It's definitely strategy and might be smart strategy. But the way it was used mixed with Ellisons background is a "Hell No" from me.

I'm never going to support someone who only cares about one race or only minority races. It's that simple.

Is it possible for me to say that person X, whom I support is going to do better in the primary/election in state Y due to the race of the people in that state (and work that has been done to cultivate that vote) and still care about other races?

Can I talk to the African community and leaders in it to understand what they think problems and understand what they think the solutions are and support some of those solutions and still care about white voters?

Or does any effort to understand things from an African American view point and endorsement of policies that will positively affect them mean that I do not care about white voters?

**EDIT**

And let me be clear, I don't know anything about Tom Perez or any of the people that were running for the chair of the DNC.

32 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

It didn't seem like that from the excerpt you posted but I could be wrong.  Frankly, I don't know how much all this really matters to me.  The whole DNC thing.

34 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Somewhere along the line Sanders realized there was a large white lower working class population (realistically, still the largest potential voting block in the US) out there and even though many of them were not voting Sanders came to believe coupled with the young college educated (again mostly white) population, if you could drive these people to vote, you could win a national election (there's an old quote (before the primaries started) out there somewhere about him talking about the working class white vote and its potential electoral power).

Based on the belief, he tried to win the Democratic primary without doing the traditional work in minority (especially African-American) communities and voters.  He believed he could win the Democratic nomination with young college educated voters and blue color and lower class whites (or at least have an enough of an effect to drive changes that he wanted).  As a result, he was weak among the African American community (which was clear in polls at the time) and as a result as primaries swung from heavily white states (Iowa and NH) to more diverse states, Hillary was likely to do better.

In your opinion, is there a way that could communicate that to somebody without practicing identity politics?

Perez was right.  It was clear based on the polling data at the time.  Can I communicate what the available evidence says about an up coming election related to race and not practice identity politics in your opinion?

It sounds like there was no substantial young minority vote in NV so they were spinning that as they head into South Carolina.

36 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Is it possible for me to say that person X, whom I support is going to do better in the primary/election in state Y due to the race of the people in that state (and work that has been done to cultivate that vote) and still care about other races?

It depends on your background, history, and the people you surround yourself with.

38 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Can I talk to the African community and leaders in it to understand what they think problems and understand what they think the solutions are and support some of those solutions and still care about white voters?

Yes, Obama did, at least I believe he did.

39 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Or does any effort to understand things from an African American view point and endorsement of policies that will positively affect them mean that I do not care about white voters?

Come on, that's not a serious question.

Archived