Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Redskins Schedule Speculation and Rumors

kleese

12 hours ago, readonly said:

Wish folk would stop acting cowardly toward primetime games.  The Redskins can never be great again without handling primetime.

I don't recall being that great on them even during the Gibbs era

11 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Yeah this is the worst schedule in years for us European fans. Monday night games and thursday night games are unwatchable when you have a job.  This really sucks this year. Watching live football gives a different feeling then watching it back half a day or more later. ?

For the curious people. Six hour time difference...so 1pm games are the best (they start 19.00 local time and finish around 22.00/22.30). 4:25pm games are okay but you wont feel amazing monday morning  (22.25 until 01.30/02.00). 8:30pm games are hell. Most of the time you need to go to bed early. Sleep a couple of hours before the game and hope there is some time left after the game to sleep. (2:30 until 5:30/6:00). 

Only a five hour difference over here, but late games are still brutal.

I usually drink lots of coffee and pre-warn my workmates to stay out of my way on my "zombie" days. Two hours sleep can make you kinda cranky, especially after a divisional loss.

Just now, wilco_holland said:

Because we play the Giants (which is ranked higher in strenght) vs Giants play against us (who are ranked lower)? 

Mike Francesa saying Raiders at Wash not a good MNF game then he goes on to say Redskins in prime time 2 out of 3 weeks? Not good. 

New schedule stinks IMO. I can count 5 losses at a glance.

Home opener, and prime time games... we seem to always lose those no matter the competition.

Good news for me is that with this many national coverage slots, I can save some dough and skip Sunday ticket this year.

3 minutes ago, Passizle said:

New schedule stinks IMO. I can count 5 losses at a glance.

Home opener, and prime time games... we seem to always lose those no matter the competition.

Good news for me is that with this many national coverage slots, I can save some dough and skip Sunday ticket this year.

5 losses, 11 wins? Sounds good to me :D 

Well, I've had a chance to digest it now and here are my thoughts. First of all, I think this may have been my best mock/prediction ever on the schedule. I posted mine on page 3 of this thread on Feb. 6th. Here it is:

9-10-17 (Sun, 1:00): Eagles 

9-17-17: (Sun, 1:00): at Saints 

9-21-17: (Thur, 8:30): Giants 

10-1-17: (Sun, 4:25): at Seahawks 

BYE

10-15-17: (Sun, 8:30): at Cowboys 

10-22-17: (Sun, 1:00): 49ers

10-30-17: (Mon, 8:30): at Eagles 

11-5-17: (Sun, 1:00): Raiders 

11-12-17: (Sun, 4:25): at Giants 

11-20-17: (Mon, 8:30): Vikings 

11-26-17: (Sun, 1:00): Cardinals 

12-3-17: (Sun, 4:25): at Rams 

12-10-17: (Sun, 4:05): at Chargers

12-17-17: (Sun, 1:00): Broncos 

12-24-17: (Sun, 1:00): at Chiefs 

12-31-17: (Sun, TBD): Cowboys 

Got off to a good start by nailing the opener, including start time. Also got the BYE week exact. Missed both the Niners game and the game at Philly by one week-- I did correctly predict that at Philly would be on MNF. Got the Chargers came correct including the 4:05 start time and was one week off on the Broncos game. Had the Vikings and Saints games placed in the middle of schedule which is where they wound up. Missed the finale and was well off on the Raiders, Chiefs, and Rams games. All in all, not too shabby.

1. Happens every year, but there is no sense at all in claiming this to be a "brutal" schedule. I mean, who knows. That is all based on what happened last year and as we know the NFL flip-flops year to year more than any other league. Last year we freaked out over those late season games with Arizona and Carolina and while we wound up losing both of those, they weren't "brutal" games at all-- those were two subpar teams last year. This year, who knows-- maybe the Chiefs and Raiders won't be as tough as we think-- maybe the Saints are way tougher.

2. I see nothing that jumps out at me as unfair or harsh. The Giants are freaking out over their schedule, so we can maybe put the conspiracies to bed. It's odd that we only have one back to back home stretch and one back to back road stretch. Otherwise, the games are very evenly slated in terms of home/road.

3. Surprised by the 6 National TV games with 5 of them being primetime. I thought we'd get 3 primetime and maybe one national Sunday game. Ratings were down last year and league went all in on the sure-bets this year. Skins play in the NFC East and probably not a great chance we totally suck this year (hopefully). Also note that all 5 primetime games are non-flexible. None of them can move. We are still eligible to get picked up for one more Sunday Night game.

4. Been awhile since we got that stand-alone late Sunday afternoon "game of the week." Looking forward to that one against Dallas in late October. Racking my brain, I cannot remember the last time we played Dallas at home in the late Sunday slot that WASN'T the last game of the year. And I really can't remember the last time we played them in that slot mid-season at home. If I'm really bored, I might look into that later.

5. I dislike the 1pm Sunday starts- I prefer late Sunday and I also like the primetime games. I like to remain in a good mood and enjoy football as long as possible each Sunday/weekend. 1pm Sunday always feels like the undercard to me. Past few years, we've been very 1pm heavy. This year, that is a big difference. With all of the primetime and west coast games.... I am loving we have only 7 1pm starts scheduled and three of those are the final three weeks of the season. So only four 1pm games until Dec. 17th. Loving that. And those games may very well move if they mean anything-- especially the NYE game with the Giants.

6. I love going to games and making trips. I might try for three this year. Lots of good options... went to KC in 2005 and loved it. Easy trip for me so that's on the radar as is New Orleans and possibly the Chargers.

44 minutes ago, kleese said:

6. I love going to games and making trips. I might try for three this year. Lots of good options... went to KC in 2005 and loved it. Easy trip for me so that's on the radar as is New Orleans and possibly the Chargers.

After moving from the awfulness of Ashburn, VA I'm near the Gulf now.  I will definitely be going to see the Saints game!  

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

definitely hitting up the KC MNF game and then also the seattle road game

A long time friend who moved to the Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago said something about trying to get tickets for that one.  If it weren't for the fact that I have pretty much sworn off flying, I'd be giving that one some thought.

2 minutes ago, HouseBowlrz said:

A long time friend who moved to the Pacific Northwest a couple of years ago said something about trying to get tickets for that one.  If it weren't for the fact that I have pretty much sworn off flying, I'd be giving that one some thought.

youre missing out.  There is so much in the world to see via plane!

3 minutes ago, HouseBowlrz said:

Take the Train!  I take it from norfolk to d.c. twice a year for the games and it's a wonderful experience. I'd love to go cross country, It takes like 4-5 days one way though :-/

On 2/28/2017 at 0:31 PM, HouseBowlrz said:

I'm going to take a shot at this as well; projected Sunday doubleheader network in parentheses ... 

Week 1 (Fox): vs. Oakland, 10 September (Sunday), 1300/1pm, CBS

Week 2 (CBS): vs. Philadelphia, 17 September (Sunday), 1300/1pm, Fox

Week 3 (CBS): at New Orleans, 24 September (Sunday), 1300/1pm or 1605/4:05pm, Fox

Week 4 (Fox): vs. Arizona, 1 October (Sunday), 1300/1pm, Fox

Week 5 (Fox): at Seattle, 9 October (Monday), 2030/8:30pm, ESPN

Week 6 (CBS): at Los Angeles Rams, 16 October (Sunday), 1605/4:05pm, Fox

Week 7 (Fox): BYE

Week 8 (Fox): vs. San Francisco, 29 October (Sunday), 1300/1pm*, Fox

Week 9 (CBS): at New York Giants, 2 November (Thursday), 2030/8:30pm, NFLN/CBS

Week 10 (Fox): at Dallas, 12 November (Sunday), 1625/4:25pm, Fox

Week 11 (CBS): vs. Minnesota, 19 November (Sunday), 1300/1pm, Fox

Week 12 (CBS): vs. Denver, 26 November (Sunday), 1300/1pm or 1625/4:25pm+, CBS

Week 13 (Fox): at Kansas City, 3 December (Sunday), 1300/1pm or 1625/4:25pm, Fox

Week 14 (CBS): at Los Angeles Chargers, 10 December (Sunday), 1605/4:05pm, Fox

Week 15 (Fox): vs. Dallas, 18 December (Monday), 2030/8:30pm*+, ESPN

Week 16 (CBS): vs, New York Giants, 24 December (Sunday), 1300/1pm, Fox

Week 17 (both): at Philadelphia, 31 December (Sunday), 1300/1pm+, Fox

* Week 8 game might go to MNF if KC8 reunited with Kyle; Week 15 game reverts to Sunday night.

+ Flex schedule home game.

Aside from the fact that I nailed the date and time of the Chargers road game, @kleese definitely did a better mock than me.   :)

I was one week off for the Philly and Minnesota home games; two off for the 49ers game and BYE week (but in the right order  LOL); three off on the Dallas trip; and the rest just sucked like a Hoover.

Interesting, compared to last year ...

Week 1 ... 16: v Pit; 17: v Phi

Week 2 ... 16: v Dal; 17: @ LAR 

Week 3 ... 16: @ NYG; 17: v Oak

Week 4 ... 16: v Cle; 17: @ KC

Week 5 ... 16: @ Bal; 17: BYE

Week 6 ... 16: v Phi; 17: v SF

Week 7 ... 16: @ Det; 17: @ Phi

Week 8 ... 16: "at" Cin; 17: v Dal

Week 9 ... 16: BYE; 17: @ Sea

Week 10 ... 16: v Min (HC); 17: v Min

Week 11 ... 16: v GB; 17: @ NO

Week 12 ... 16: @ Dal (Thx); 17: v NYG (Thx)

Week 13 ... 16: @ AZ; 17: @ Dal (Thu)

Week 14 ... 16: @ Phi; 17: @ LAC

Week 15 ... 16: v Car; 17: v AZ

Week 16 ... 16: @ Chi; 17: v Den

Week 17 ... 17: v NYG; 17: @ NYG

... how we repeat opponents in two of the same weeks, one at the same site.  And, with this being the eighth season of all divisional games in Week 17, we've closed with Philly just once (there in 2011).

10 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

youre missing out.  There is so much in the world to see via plane!

Missing out ... on potentially getting bludgeoned because some deadheading crew members want my seat?  No thanks ...

7 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Take the Train!  I take it from norfolk to d.c. twice a year for the games and it's a wonderful experience. I'd love to go cross country, It takes like 4-5 days one way though :-/

Yeah, that would be the drawback; might as well drive.

On 4/21/2017 at 3:00 PM, Thirtyfive2seven said:

After moving from the awfulness of Ashburn, VA I'm near the Gulf now.  I will definitely be going to see the Saints game!  

Where on the Gulf?

Anyone know if Norfolk is considered local?  Im moving up there and want to know if i meed Sunday Ticket or not.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Where on the Gulf?

Anyone know if Norfolk is considered local?  Im moving up there and want to know if i meed Sunday Ticket or not.

It should be..My family lives in VA Beach. My brother has FIOS, and my parents have Cox cable, and all of Redskins games are broadcast there.

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It should be..My family lives in VA Beach. My brother has FIOS, and my parents have Cox cable, and all of Redskins games are broadcast there.

Norfolk is part of Redskins territory. You wont miss a game and also we get all major DC sports on TV here also.

I'll admit I only skimmed this page and didn't read any of the previous comments, so this was probably already mentioned. The non-division away games are brutal! If there were three non-division opponents who I didn't want to play on the road, it'd be the Seahawks, Chiefs, and Saints. All have excellent home/road splits and are the three loudest stadiums in football. 

I guess this comment could also go in the conspiracy theory thread, but damn u schedule makers.

NFL strength of schedule. 1 is the hardest. 32 is the easiest according to Vegas. Skins with the second hardest schedule in the league next year:

http://nfltraderumors.co/188584-2/

Rank Team Avg. Opp. SB Odds SB Odds
1. Chiefs 13.56 2500
2. Redskins 13.81 5000
3. Eagles 14.00 5,000
4. Cowboys 14.19 1000
5. Lions 14.44 6600
6. Chargers 14.50 7500
7. 49ers 14.69 20000
7. Bills 14.69 10000
9. Rams 14.75 15000
10. Broncos 14.88 1800
11. Buccaneers 15.00 4000
12. Giants 15.19 2000
13. Falcons 15.25 1200
14. Raiders 15.44 1200
15. Dolphins 15.63 5000
16. Saints 15.75 6600
17. Bears 15.81 10000
18. Jets 15.94 15000
18. Packers 15.94 1000
20. Titans 16.31 4000
21. Browns 16.38 20000
21. Ravens 16.38 4000
21. Seahawks 16.38 1000
24. Bengals 16.69 5000
24. Texans 16.69 1600
26. Patriots 16.75 400
26. Steelers 16.75 1600
28. Jaguars 16.94 10000
29. Cardinals 17.13 3300
30. Panthers 17.25 3300
31. Vikings 17.44 3300
32. Colts 17.50 3300

How are we playing on Thanksgiving then 7 days later we have a Thursday night game. NFL usually give teams that play on Thanksgiving 10 days. Granted we are playing Cowboys who also play on Thanksgiving, they play a day game and us a night game.

1 hour ago, RawRebel said:

How are we playing on Thanksgiving then 7 days later we have a Thursday night game. NFL usually give teams that play on Thanksgiving 10 days. Granted we are playing Cowboys who also play on Thanksgiving, they play a day game and us a night game.

It's pretty much like a regular week (like playing on a Sunday and then playing the following Sunday as usual) but instead it's Thursday to Thursday. Cowboys and Vikings both had the same thing last year (both played thanksgiving, then the following Thursday was cowboys vs Vikings. 

After our second Thursday game, THEN we get that mini bye, that 10 day break before traveling to LA to play the chargers. 

Archived