Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McGlouaeiouandsometimesygghhggain Kool-Aid - No thanks. I'll stick to coffee.

zoony

59 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

That's a serious matter of opinion that he was the 'best' receiver in the draft. 

Even more so that he was a first rounder. He was verging on the late first at best. 

Hail. 

I'm saving this for later.

I don't find fault with the 2015 draft, no complaints strategically. Last year the defensive class, particularly D-Line, aligned with our deficiencies. I don't think the FO maximized the opportunity. Things were left on the table. I felt at the time they didn't go after defensive Front 7 ardently enough early on.

Complaints concerning both the Doctson and Fuller selections. Both Jarran Reed and Javon Hargrave are logging legit snaps, with production. While interior Slot defender needed addressing, I concede, positional importance points were lost when not solidifying safety, specifically FS. Name: Justin Simmons. 

As for ILB, I could have, at the time, handled a "Rizzo-esque" selection of Myles Jack, despite the knee concerns. Salient to that discussion was that Jack was mobile and able-bodied at the time, the concern was the indefinite future. As posters like @Koolblue13 pointed out first, early on in the season, the ILB unit has been an even bigger culprit of liability than the D-Line. I agree. I hope Jamie Collins isn't tagged. Spend the money. 

I think in light of Deone Bucannon the Cravens selection holds merit, intellectually and strategically. Schematic flexibility is a desirable commodity. I don't think it was a forced selection just to say we got our own hybrid. Albeit the athletic edge going to Buc. Cravens did flash a handful of times before injury. If the defense is having difficulty using a Rover the way a Rover should be used, then, to me, that falls at the feet of the coaches. If misaligned, in the wrong role, or in poor individual match-ups, then again, to me, that falls at the Coordinator. (See: Barry). 

McC is in year two of a four-year deal. I feel fairly hopeful about the coming years. I hope that both McC and Cousins get to continue on what looks to have some promise. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Treadwell and Coleman were the only true receiving first round talents coming out IMO. Doctson at least should of been a late first at best, early second rounder. 

So, I thought Sterling Shepard was the best receiver in last year's class. Not as big as Jarvis Landry, (hand size, arm length), but more athletic. Similarly, both would attack the football, had good hands, precision routes. He was however a value type, knowing his role was in the Slot, and likewise knowing he was slated for and would be available in the 2nd round. If, as was said post-draft, that McC greatly valued Crowder over the majority of our evaluators and coaches, then Shepard was a discernibly bigger and more athletic version.

We know NE has used the duo-Slot combo for years. But, as you knew, we had no lack of receiving targets heading into the draft or this year. Likewise, we flexed our primary receiver and move TE into the Slot regularly. Reed is that other Slot receiver. The positional importance value for WR didn't supersede Front 7. The novelty of having our own "tall" outside receiver still seems to captivate a large cross-section of our fanbase, like the Victorian British African fever.  

Context, in October, I made a passing post about Doctson saying that I pretty much loved him as a prospect. However, I felt that the lesser athlete in Treadwell was more refined in route running and physicality, (blocking). By the time we got to April, I felt between the two, I had Treadwell ahead of Doc. 

HMMM... 2 years in a row of relavence, maybe a coincidence and maybe not.

I guess we can look at individual moves and praise and critic alike. But, whether by chance or by what he is building, we are relevant. 

We need a RB and more defensive help in the middle. There is a lot of depth on O and I think emotions are high tonight

3 hours ago, worldpost said:

Believing any GM could take the roster we had in 2014 and turn it around in two years more that what has happened.. Two winning seasons and a Top Ten offense.  Yes the defense has been neglected... Gruden strength is Offense.. Now go ahead and fix the defense.. and I want SM to do it, not another JAG GM.

Sorry to disappoint everyone who thought The Skins would go from bottom dwellers to New England 2.0 in less than two years time.  Scott has been part of three successful franchises (GB, SF, and Sea).  I'll give him more than a year or two before I say he's a hack.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Because of our GM?  Because i would argue yhat its Cousins

Bad day to say anything positive is "because of Cousins." We are out of the playoffs tonight because of Cousins' play today. But, it was GMSM who worked with Jay and Dan to settle on Cousins to start last year. That was big.

It was also the GM who locked up Reed and Williams, our two best offensive players in advance of them hitting the FA market. Same for Kerrigan. This is what competent teams do.

The UDFA he adds actually contribute. The catfish the dude found on the street contributed in a division title last year and some again this year. Speaks to our lack of depth before he arrived and his eye for talent in general.

He knew Vernon Davis had some good football left in him when many thought he was done.

Picks 1-3 of this last draft should not be judged for two more years, but the smart money is on 2 of the 3 panning out.

Crowder is the best drafted WR talent on this team since.... Monk? Getting Clark from the USFL?

Tress Way is the best punter since... Steve Cox? Hopkins slumped, but his touchbacks with a Barry D the last two years was important. 

Norman was a must signing, they made it happen.

And something will come out of this December collapse... we were looking like a respectable NFL franchise again thanks to the mentality he helped build... I bet someone is held accountable for the BS that was today. Stay tuned. 

Worst thing that ever happened to McCloughan was completely overperforming in his first year. Fans expectations clearly rocketed to stupid levels as evidenced in this thread. We take a minor step back while facing a far tougher schedule, some key injuries and a far tougher division and suddenly McCloughan is a liability. 

I've little doubt this thread will provide great humour when it's bumped numerous times in the future and our success on the field continues to improve under Scot. 

People have awfully short memories on here given the absolute dumpster fire that the roster McCloughan inherited was. 

It's worth noting the Redskins are 2-9 the last two seasons against teams with winning records and 3-17 in 3 seasons with Gruden as HC. We've had this level of mediocrity a lot through the past 25 years. Last year was a fluke with how bad the NFC East was. It's just going to get tougher now with the Cowgirls and Eagles and their franchise qbs along with Giants getting their defense back in shape. 

6 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Not really. A GM damned sure better be able to come up with a good player for a $15 mil per year contract. Just like a #5 pick in the draft. You don't earn a lot of praise for those things.

He's better than the Vinny/Snyder/Shanahan era. And he has a strong track record in the NFL. So there's no question I'm sticking with McLovin, and still expecting good things from him.

But he hasn't been impressive so far.

He could have gotten a similar contract somewhere else. But he chose us. Top 5 picks bust all the time. 

17 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

He could have gotten a similar contract somewhere else. But he chose us.

That's nice. Not sure how that makes McLovin a genius for getting a good player for $70 mil.

17 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

Top 5 picks bust all the time. 

Yeah, and great golfers miss 5 foot putts pretty often. But hitting a 5 foot putt doesn't make you Tiger Woods, does it?

Or, i you really insist on giving a GM credit for finding good players with early 1st rounders and enormous contracts, then you also have to call him an idiot for every 6th and 7th rounder who didn't make the roster. It has to go both ways or the hypocrisy is just too laughable to be taken seriously.

I just want to say a couple of things before this gets lost in the many pages that won't be read of this thread...

It takes a few years to judge a draft class.  A few have already said this, and rightfully so.  You don't look at a draft class one year later and say "boy, they sucked!"  

Two, hit rates are low for drafted players.  We're talking 4 or 5 out of 7 being on your roster in 3 years time.  Here's an excellent article done a while ago with Bill Polian on that.  http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/22699/good-draft-hit-rates-lower-than-you-think 

I guess my point is, why is SM the goat here?  He has gotten a lot of (slightly undue) credit, but he's also the guy we were clamoring for a few years ago.  An experienced guy who will change the culture.  The problem is that it doesn't happen overnight.  This team still doesn't have the talent, needs more draft, and yes is still recovering from losing 3 extra picks for RG3.  

After yesterday's debacle it's hard to disagree that much. That was one demoralising showing from the coaching staff down.

Pointless arguing over the finer points. What we have is a boat load of cap space and a 5 draft picks in the top 120. We're set up nicely to be aggressive in the offseason and it's pretty obvious that the roster needs to look a damn sight different come April-May time.

Im still a fan of his but this needs to be an offseason that he totally nails. No excuse from here on in. Same for Gruden.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Or, i you really insist on giving a GM credit for finding good players with early 1st rounders and enormous contracts, then you also have to call him an idiot for every 6th and 7th rounder who didn't make the roster. It has to go both ways or the hypocrisy is just too laughable to be taken seriously.

Well, I know someone that whiffed on a 100M DT once :P

Besides that, it depends on the level of expectations you had for McCoughlan. Most around here thinks he's about to hit HoF on every draft picks for whatever reason and should get blame for every miss.

Getting two starters in one draft is quite good (and I would say 3 if not for Jarrett's injury), this doesn't happen often throughout the NFL I believe.

And as a whole, I think the plan for Scot was to fill the roster from the basement when he arrived, which means not getting all pro players, but players that can do the job. Players that aren't great, but you can rely on at times during the game. Players that will push starters for playing time and stuff like that. Then you start adding key star players here and there, besides opportunities like Norman.

One point though regarding Cravens. I'm always wondering why people are asking to play him Strong. Guy has roughly the same speed and mesurables than Compton...

Archived