Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Sign Center John Sullivan

NeverSurrender

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I just like that the Vikings bounced him and are averaging like 2 YPC. Doesn't mean anything alone, obviously. 

He didnt play all of last year due to the back injury, that's why he was sitting out there unsigned.  If he is healthy this is a huge addition. 

"Sullivan is one of the smarter centers in the NFL and does a great job running the Vikings’ line," Miller wrote. "He’s patient, shows great balance and has the strength to be a factor opening rushing lanes for Adrian Peterson, the game’s most athletic running back."

Miller gave him a grade of 88 out of 100.

Sullivan has never been dominant in the passing game—he allowed five sacks in 2013 and 20 total disruptions last season—but there's no questioning his abilities in the run game. Miller rated Sullivan's run-blocking abilities at 46 out of 50."

"In 2013, John Sullivan was as good as any center in the game, and at that point, had three straight seasons graded among the top three centers in the league. Coming off knee problems, his 2014 season was less impressive, and he missed the entire 2015 season with back issues, but at only 31 years old, chances are that Sullivan can still be a very effective player. His issue in Minnesota was that Joe Berger—the player that replaced him at center in 2015—played at an All-Pro level in his stead, surrendering just one sack all season and ending the year with a PFF grade of 88.0, trailing only Cowboys C Travis Frederick. Sullivan was going to have his work cut out for him winning back his job anyway, but Minnesota bringing on board Tony Sparano to the coaching staff—who has history with Berger as a player in Miami—seemed to seal his fate. Sullivan hasn’t enjoyed the best preseason of his career, earning poor grades in the 44 snaps he has played so far, so his best football may still be some time away, but for any team in need of a center, the chance of acquiring a potential All-Pro heading into September should prove a very attractive proposition. Sullivan may not be ready to hit the ground running at that level, but he should be able to upgrade several situations around the league. "

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The guy hasn't been any good since 2013.  Can't be excited by this move.

We need depth at the very least....we're one unfortunate injury from having Trent Williams line up at center at this point lol...

Besides, anyone else still available now has probably never had a good season in their entire careers, nonetheless a good season 2-3 years ago. and I wouldn't trust a young player from another team's practice squad to end up starting at center.

Im glad he is cerebral. While Stork seemed to a young and physical center, I prefer my centers to be one of the smarter players on the field. We need to start collecting back up JAG bodies at this point and get them coached up and ready in case we have more O line guys go down. 

I realize any team would be scrambling if they lost their starting LG and C at the same time but having Long as our backup LG and C really exacerbated the problem. I hope we are trying out some vet guards as well so if something does happen, we already know who we want to bring aboard. 

I understand this move and if he passed the physical then cool, but I'll say I would have preferred going after one of the younger guys. Not just because it builds depth for the future, but also because I don't trust this guy. But the possibility is that he returns to his pre-2013 form and we have a good center for the next 2-3 years. And if his back goes out again, I think we'd be out of veteran options at that point and probably be somewhat forced to get a younger guy to play. 

I wonder who all we tried out today and if we make any changes to our Practice Squad. 

Kory Lich is a bad loss. Far bigger loss than Hall imo. Nobody gave him the credit he deserved for his performances this year. The tape doesn't lie. 

I have more faith in Bill Callahan than any other coach on our staff though. Think he'll find a way of making things work whether it's with Long or Sullivan at centre. 

5 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

lol I didnt know until day before yesterday either

I did because I wondered about it in a Redskins make Roster moves thread when we signed Ronald Patrick to the PS. I noticed he wasn't and someone told me he was signed by the Browns... Looks like a crappy move to get our latest PlayBook:

NODDY-C21-IMAGE.jpg

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I understand this move and if he passed the physical then cool, but I'll say I would have preferred going after one of the younger guys. Not just because it builds depth for the future, but also because I don't trust this guy. But the possibility is that he returns to his pre-2013 form and we have a good center for the next 2-3 years. And if his back goes out again, I think we'd be out of veteran options at that point and probably be somewhat forced to get a younger guy to play. 

I wonder who all we tried out today and if we make any changes to our Practice Squad. 

I think it's likely that if the younger guys were really good they would be on a roster. So, it's a matter of do you want someone who can step in or do you want a developmental guy. Clearly, they decided that as a patchwork back up it was more important to get a guy that's ready to go that they can feel confident about. This is a stop gap for this year only.

Seems like a good move and probably a better one than Stabby.

3 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Please forgive me if this is not the right way to do make a thread as it is my first one.

I'll forgive it this time (though you've been here nearly 5 years) because you almost have it done correctly. Go check the Rules to see how it's done & edit the title. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think it's likely that if the younger guys were really good they would be on a roster. So, it's a matter of do you want someone who can step in or do you want a developmental guy. Clearly, they decided that as a patchwork back up it was more important to get a guy that's ready to go that they can feel confident about. This is a stop gap for this year only.

Seems like a good move and probably a better one than Stabby.

I kinda disagree.  I feel like this is a low risk high reward move, where if it works it gives easy help this year and possibly beyond. But the young guys are less likely to be signed off the practice squad as he was, so why not try the more valuable (non guaranteed ) option first.  

I could easily see us doing something similar to what we did 2 years back and signing the younger guys if he doesn't work.  

Archived