Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Baker vs Joe Barry

zoony

I mentioned this in the gameday thread a little while ago, but no responses.

Google tells me Chris was asked about it after the game and indicated they had a difference of opinion on a goal line call.  Didn't sound too cheery of a response after a big win.

From a WP article...

There was defensive end Chris Baker, screaming at defensive coordinator Joe Barry on the sideline over what goal-line defenses he was calling. “He called one thing that he thought was best, and I had my feelings on what we should have been in,” Baker said frankly.

In other words, Joe Barry is a putz and I let him know it.

i don't know what to think about barry. we clearly have talent issues at certain positions on defense, but it's always hard to know if you're not getting what you should out of coaching. certain DC's seem to be able to get more out of less, and we seem to get less out of less.

it's also weird that once we lost a few guys, our defense started playing better. could have been a coincidence.

one thing for certain - having your players yell at you on the sideline normally isn't a good sign...

3 minutes ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

As to this incident, does not look good. May be a situation where if we keep the DC we will lose some players, most importantly, Baker.

Definitely doesn't look good.  I realize it was in the heat of battle, but Baker's face and demeanor told me he's had enough of Joe Barry's ineptitude.

19 minutes ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

My impression of Joe Barry is that he is playing checkers against expert chess players.

As to this incident, does not look good. May be a situation where if we keep the DC we will lose some players, most importantly, Baker.

Who on earth is that girl in your signature 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

2 weeks in a row that somebody is yelling in Barrys face and he got called out by RJF. 

Run him the **** off the east coast. 

After Baker yelled at him, we did start to blitz more and got more aggressive and it worked. That's how the defense is supposed to work.

The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that he was yelling either.  It was just an awkward confrontation all the way around.  He was clearly very angry and appeared to have not an ounce of respect for Barry.  Joe B. looked scared and embarrassed.

59 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that he was yelling either.  It was just an awkward confrontation all the way around.  He was clearly very angry and appeared to have not an ounce of respect for Barry.  Joe B. looked scared and embarrassed.

He should be embarrassed. Everyone else from the players to the fans are.

Guy's a ****ing joke.

3 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

It was after this play. What kind of goalline spacing is this?

It's called the "walk it in" goal line defense. One of Barry's specialties this year. I'm not sure we've stopped a third and short run this year. I don't think we've stopped one once.

Seems like (from post game talk) the players weren't too happy about Barry's passive system and as a result we got more aggressive. I hope thats the case moving forward because we have some athletic guys who can win a lot of one-on-one matchups (they'll lose some too), but he needs to trust his players more and have consequences like more playing of the guys who make mistakes less (I'm looking at Cravens over Compton).

Archived